Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times

Advertisements

Tonight I just finished putting up rolled insulation between the joists where the two exterior walls meet.

It was fun, and hopefully I'll be able to reduce my energy expenses a bit.

There is one section where I need ideas. There is a duct that runs along one of the short walls. It goes about half the length of the wall. Anyway, it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the joist. I would really have to squeeze the insulation to try to get it up in there. Since it's so flimsy, it likely won't just slide right where I need it. It will probably fold up and be lumpy.

I thought of spray foam insulation, but that would take a LOT of that. It's about 24 feet long and the joist is 7 1/2 inches high.

Cutting a long strip won't work, since there isn't much room for my fingers to grab it, and the flimsiness makes it difficult to slide it down the length of the joist.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Are you referring to wall studs as "joists".

Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Nope. I am talking about the vertical boards that make up the floor to the house/the ceiling in the basement.

They run from the front of the basement to the back. So where they end at the front wall and back wall, each space I've insulated is 7 1/2 inches top to bottom and the width of the rolled insulation.

The section that I can't get to runs along the short wall (at one end of the basement) as does the ductwork. The joist and ductwork are parallel to each other. That particular section is about 24 feet long.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Move the duct.

Was that really that hard?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Tonight I just finished putting up rolled insulation between the joists where the two exterior walls meet.

It was fun, and hopefully I'll be able to reduce my energy expenses a bit.

There is one section where I need ideas. There is a duct that runs along one of the short walls. It goes about half the length of the wall. Anyway, it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the joist. I would really have to squeeze the insulation to try to get it up in there. Since it's so flimsy, it likely won't just slide right where I need it. It will probably fold up and be lumpy.

I thought of spray foam insulation, but that would take a LOT of that. It's about 24 feet long and the joist is 7 1/2 inches high.

Cutting a long strip won't work, since there isn't much room for my fingers to grab it, and the flimsiness makes it difficult to slide it down the length of the joist.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
What kind of duct that is? The reason why I ask is as follows: lets say that the duct is a drain pipe or a water pipe that runs right next to an outer wall. In this case you have to be careful because if you insulate over the pipe or duct, the side of the pipe next to the wall will be very cold since there is no insulation between the pipe and the wall. In this case you want to insulate the pipe from the cold wall.

You can always use a foam applicator and low pressure foam (nozzle around 12" in length). Get the foam between the pipe and the wall, first.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Spray foam (big gap filler) would work. Stuffing fiberglass insulation into a small space - as you described - wouldn't help much. That type of insulation loses its effectiveness when smushed (is that a word?) You'll have better results with newspaper if you're "stuffing" it in there. I vote for the foam spray.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Move the duct.

Was that really that hard?
I - like many others - would not re-configure ductwork simply to be able to insulate a small space.

No, it wouldn't be hard, but it also wouldn't be cost-effective/ justified.

: D

Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Spray foam (big gap filler) would work. Stuffing fiberglass insulation into a small space - as you described - wouldn't help much. That type of insulation loses its effectiveness when smushed (is that a word?) You'll have better results with newspaper if you're "stuffing" it in there. I vote for the foam spray.
Yep, smuching will lower the R-value. And if I did that, there may be empty spots where the insulation didn't wiggle up into.

So spray foam is the way to go, huh? I'll need MANY cans. Lets hope for a good sale! LOL. Gotta love a bargain.

Thanks everyone. In the spring, I may have questions about caulking windows.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I - like many others - would not re-configure ductwork simply to be able to insulate a small space.

No, it wouldn't be hard, but it also wouldn't be cost-effective/ justified.

: D
I didn't say "reconfigure"-
Just "temporarily" move, install insulation, and move back.

I've run into this several times with the old hard duct; not so much today with the flex duct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House