Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've wondered how often that sort of thing happens! One thing I like about the flip & tumble bags is I can just keep them balled up in my purse and not worry about someone stealing them.

I've also seen people snap something that looks kind of like a carabiner to the grocery cart, and hang their grocery bags from that. It's not 100% secure, but it would take someone a few seconds to unhook the carabiner so it might deter theft.
Hmm, I have never considered that someone would take my home-made bags. I once had someone steal my coupon book though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I've never had to pay for bags... Free from promotions, Staples, gifts from work, evemt giveaways, etc. I keep a bunch folded inside a larger bag and behind the pass seat so I can grab them before walking into the store.

The only store that gives 5c for using a reusable bag now is WFs which I only rarely go to and a local chain called Roche Bros. But at RB, the cashier always asks if I want to donate that to some fund and it's hard to say no. Stop and Shop used to give 5c at checkout. I was behind a woman at self-checkout who was paying for her purchase 1 item at a time to get 5c per transaction. After that, I don't mind not getting a messy 5c to avoid being stuck behind someone like that.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
^^^ WF only gives you 5cts/bag for those you actually reuse. They do not give you 5cts/bag for any extras you give to them....I found out the hard way, thought I was going to get a $5. Lol. I will continue saving their paper bags for my mom.

I keep recycled bags in the trunk of the car. Everything I buy is in a container or plastic bag, so I never had any spillage. I don't think I've ever washed the plastic coated bags. I may have washed the cloth bags, but I don't use those much anymore. I prefer the Trader Joe's bags.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Can't imagine if our local grocer stopped giving bags. We only spend < $150/week but it's still at least 15+ bags every time. We actually do re-use them as kitchen garbage bags and you may think they're too small but not if you only put foodstuffs in them and other stuff like cardboard/cartons, etc. in separate bag.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,514 times
I always put them back in my car after using them, otherwise I'm guaranteed to forget to bring them to the store with me!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 904 times
Cool good for the environment but not so good for your family's health and safety

As a research; most reusable shopping bags harbor multiple harmful bacteria. E.coli was found in over 12 percent of the tested bags. Reusable bags are good for the environment but not so good for your family's health and safety. In a quick survey at a grocery store, 97 percent of shoppers admit that they have never washed their reusable bags.
Also; my brother worked as a bagger at a grocery store this summer. He said the reusable bags are every bagger's nightmare! If he loaded them up, they were too heavy and customers complain. If he didn't load them all the way, other customers complained they weren't full. He said the baggers just can't win with the reusable bags. Most are made from really cheap material that will tear if they are overloaded. if you still want to buy some, At totebagfactory.com, you will find the best reusable canvas tote bags at wholesale prices than anywhere else.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George84 View Post
As a research; most reusable shopping bags harbor multiple harmful bacteria. E.coli was found in over 12 percent of the tested bags. Reusable bags are good for the environment but not so good for your family's health and safety. In a quick survey at a grocery store, 97 percent of shoppers admit that they have never washed their reusable bags.
Also; my brother worked as a bagger at a grocery store this summer. He said the reusable bags are every bagger's nightmare! If he loaded them up, they were too heavy and customers complain. If he didn't load them all the way, other customers complained they weren't full. He said the baggers just can't win with the reusable bags. Most are made from really cheap material that will tear if they are overloaded. if you still want to buy some, At totebagfactory.com, you will find the best reusable canvas tote bags at wholesale prices than anywhere else.
That's why you have to wash them periodically. If you buy meat at the store, use only ONE or TWO bags to hold meat EXCLUSIVELY and wash those after each use. It's not rocket science. Seriously.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Count me among the three percent! I wash my reusables after every shopping trip.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Count me among the three percent! I wash my reusables after every shopping trip.
I don't; I wash them once a month or so, but I also don't buy meat so there's no meat-y germs in my bags. I use the same two bags for produce and I wash it well before I eat it, so I'm not worried. I've never gotten food poisoning from my own kitchen.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mine get folded up, crammed into another bag, and hung on a hook in the pantry.
Exactly this, except mine hang on the back of my basement door (which is off the kitchen)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House