Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM

120 posts, read 215,106 times

Advertisements

We want to get new quartz countertops and an undermount sink. We know we do not want porcelain again and we leaning towards stainless or the newer granite/composite sinks. We want something durable that will continue to keep a newer appearance. Any idea on which would stand the test of time and continue to look good (less scratching, staining)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I highly recommend a Silgranit sink The main features of BLANCO SILGRANIT II and stainless steel It is a granite composite material so it doesn't scratch and doesn't dry with spots like stainless steel does.

If you scratch it with a pot, just scrub the spot with a scrubbing sponge. When my Silestone kitchen counters were installed, the installer took the sink with them so it would be an exact match on fit. It is an undermount sink.

BLANCO - SILGRANIT Sinks

Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
If you already have decided on using a composite quatz countertop you should really investigate the Silestone Integrity sinks -- MUCH nice range of colors than the Blanco product (which is very dense but looks cheap and plasticy...) AND can be FUSED to Silestone countertops which makes for a very slick installation.

I saw one done in "Stellar Night" at a new house that had a custom routed drainboard and recessed area around the whole faucet (required layering up a double thickness of countertop around the sink) that really is far and away the most functional and attractive design I have seen in a long time.

I have heard that the sink manufacturer Karran also offers sinks that can be direct-bonded to solid surface quartz but the range of colors is not much better than Blanco...

Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I'll take SS any day over composites. Composites just look old after awhile- require a lot of elbow grease to make "new" again.

With SS, all I need is Barkeeper's Friend and a SS sink is brand new in a matter of minutes!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'll take SS any day over composites. Composites just look old after awhile- require a lot of elbow grease to make "new" again.

With SS, all I need is Barkeeper's Friend and a SS sink is brand new in a matter of minutes!
I'm with you. I've had both and SS was the easiest to make look brand new. Composites just ended up irritating me after a while.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
One thing that will help no matter what you decide is a grate (with "rubber" feet) to put in the bottom of the sink. It keeps pots and pans and the like from leaving scratch marks on the sink bottom.

I'm not promoting any manufacturer or retailer, but here is a site that shows examples of what I am talking about.

Sink Grids | Wayfair

Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM

120 posts, read 215,106 times
Thank you all for the great comments. I guess a lot also goes to just personal preference as well. We haven't decided yet which way we'll go but I'll be so happy to have it all done. It will totally change the look of the kitchen. It is for a house we are buying

One more thing and I do realize this is also personal preference but to most people prefer double sinks to single. We have always had double sinks but I like thought of one big sink for washing larger pots and cookie sheets. I just never had one and don't know if I would feel the same way because one of the things I like about double sinks is the empty side for rinsing the clean dishes.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
One thing that will help no matter what you decide is a grate (with "rubber" feet) to put in the bottom of the sink. It keeps pots and pans and the like from leaving scratch marks on the sink bottom....
Sink Grids | Wayfair

Those sink grids are very lovely. I bought similar grids from Amazon that also work great:

Amazon.com - InterDesign Sink Grid, Regular, Polished Stainless Steel

Amazon.com - InterDesign Sing Grid, Large, Polished Stainless Steel

Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy3dogs View Post
Thank you all for the great comments. I guess a lot also goes to just personal preference as well. We haven't decided yet which way we'll go but I'll be so happy to have it all done. It will totally change the look of the kitchen. It is for a house we are buying

One more thing and I do realize this is also personal preference but to most people prefer double sinks to single. We have always had double sinks but I like thought of one big sink for washing larger pots and cookie sheets. I just never had one and don't know if I would feel the same way because one of the things I like about double sinks is the empty side for rinsing the clean dishes.
I prefer single sinks for the same reason you mentioned. The only time I had a double sink (and liked it) was when I didn't have a dishwasher and used one side for rinse water (as you mentioned too). I can't recommend one sink or another since everyone has their preference. No matter what you decide, make sure it's well built and is easy to maintain. As fashionable as they are, I wouldn't have a stainless steel sink. Too many visible water spots.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy3dogs View Post

This is my third kitchen that we've done. I chose a single SS sink this time. I like being able to lay my casserole dishes etc. flat in the sink. We have a DW, but sometimes I hand wash and use a rubbermaid dish pan that sits in the sink to wash in....then have the other part free to rinse. It works fine for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House