Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK well, thank you for the info. I am meeting with a kitchen renovation company and I'm going to discuss all sorts of counter top options with them before making up my mind.

I don't cut anything on my counter tops anyway, but I am worried about liquids, especially darker colored liquids, staining some materials that people use for counter tops. I'm also concerned about someone accidentally setting a hot pot down on ANY sort of top I put down, other than a metal top - which I just don't know about either...
Butcher block is oiled to protect it from water and liquids. If it stains, you simply sand the stain out. You don't need to refinish the entire counter. Just sand the stain and reapply oil. All countertop materials can stain. Butcher block is a material that can be quickly repaired without a professional. As far as I know, it's the only material you can repair yourself that easily. If you're concerned about heat going on any surface other than metal, it's a nonissue for butcher block since you'd worry about it anyway.

The kitchen renovation people aren't going to give you the truth about butcher block because it's significantly cheaper than quartz and other countertop materials. I recommend you do your own research instead if you're seriously considering butcher block. Even do your own research about quartz because they might not be honest about any drawbacks.

If you're going to seriously consider butcher block, I just want to give you a heads up that you shouldn't plan to stain the butcher block. Pick a wood species you like natural because wood stain isn't food grade. You don't want a clear coat sealer of any type either. Butcher block is best if simply oiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Butcher block is oiled to protect it from water and liquids. If it stains, you simply sand the stain out. You don't need to refinish the entire counter. Just sand the stain and reapply oil. All countertop materials can stain. Butcher block is a material that can be quickly repaired without a professional. As far as I know, it's the only material you can repair yourself that easily. If you're concerned about heat going on any surface other than metal, it's a nonissue for butcher block since you'd worry about it anyway.

The kitchen renovation people aren't going to give you the truth about butcher block because it's significantly cheaper than quartz and other countertop materials. I recommend you do your own research instead if you're seriously considering butcher block. Even do your own research about quartz because they might not be honest about any drawbacks.

If you're going to seriously consider butcher block, I just want to give you a heads up that you shouldn't plan to stain the butcher block. Pick a wood species you like natural because wood stain isn't food grade. You don't want a clear coat sealer of any type either. Butcher block is best if simply oiled.

We were considering butcher block for our kitchen because of the reasons you listed: It's cheaper, looks nice, easy to maintain, etc. But, we were concerned about having the butcher block next to the sink. Wood & water don't exactly mix and the water could potentially rot the wood. So we went with the granite next to the sink and the other counters that do not touch the sink are butcher block. There is no law that says you have to have everything all same. We save some $$$$ by doing it that way.

Cat

Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I am seriously leaning toward the top of the island being butcher block. Not so sure about the other counters - in fact, I am pretty sure we WON'T do wood tops on them because that will be too much wood - the cabinets are a wood stain and I like them. I really do like the look of wood counter tops with painted cabinets though. I can see they are a viable option.

Another option I am looking at due to cost and durability is a granite that does NOT have a pronounced pattern to it. I have been very pleased with my granite counter tops' PERFORMANCE but the heavy pattern in them wears me out looking at it. So maybe I can find a "quiet" granite for the counter tops around the sink and stove and do butcher block or a sealed tile on the island. I like the look of butcher block and I get what you're saying about maintaining it, but I also like the ease of cleaning tile on a surface that will largely be used for preparing and serving food - IF the grout is sealed.

I am thinking about a natural stone tile for the backsplash and then carrying that through on the island. I also really like the idea of salvaged, distressed wood with about ten coats of polyurethane or whatever is food grade on it. Definitely no cutting or putting hot stuff on it but wow, that might look really awesome. I would pretty much leave a cool cutting board out on it permanently though. I might be too scared to do that - if I go with wood maybe butcher block is better...

When I research counter top materials they ALL have some pretty serious negatives, along with some good positives. One that intrigues me is soapstone. My biggest issue with that though is that it's a dark color. But it's also a natural color and it gets a natural patina to it. It's pretty striking. It really works well around a sink. In fact, you can make a sink out of it, and that's pretty awesome too.

The kitchen is very light and bright, even with the darkish cabinetry. Maybe I will go sandstone on the counters and sink, and butcher block on the island...hmmmmm....

Kitchen Counters: Durable, Easy-Clean Soapstone

Hmmmm, here's soapstone with wood cabinets and a tile backsplash - I would go neutral on the tile backsplash but hmmm....

http://www.finewoodworking.com/asset...5/WideView.jpg

I would post more pictures but I have gotten in trouble for posting pictures that weren't my own on this site...several times...don't want to get banned.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We were considering butcher block for our kitchen because of the reasons you listed: It's cheaper, looks nice, easy to maintain, etc. But, we were concerned about having the butcher block next to the sink. Wood & water don't exactly mix and the water could potentially rot the wood. So we went with the granite next to the sink and the other counters that do not touch the sink are butcher block. There is no law that says you have to have everything all same. We save some $$$$ by doing it that way.

Cat
Now I'm mulling over a butcher block island and sand stone countertops with a sandstone sink.

SOOO MANY CHOICES!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:35 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I'm late to the party, but I faced a downsized kitchen also. Thankfully, the sellers had put all the old kitchen cupboards into the garage, which is right off the kitchen, only a few steps away. This saved my life, since I have used them to store large pots and pans, big bowls, small appliances, and extra glassware, etc.
Is this something you could do?

I love my quartz counters. I have a butcher block island, and as hard as I try, I have gotten stains on it that will not come out. I chalk this up as "character", but if it would bother you, then don't get it.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM

284 posts, read 700,928 times
So formica countertops (forget the trade name) are totally out of style? Because my plain almond formica countertops would look wonderful with your pottery! They are easy to keep clean - we just bleach them with soft scrub as needed.
We put formica that looked like butcher block in our former house - it was a country kitchen.
(ps - my husband absolutely hates granite!)

Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
If it isn't too late, I would use the kitchen for a month or so before I did anything to it. I'd do some baking, as well as things for which I'd use a Cuisinart, a mixer, or a blender. Since the island has electricity, it might be very useful, and you might decide to replace it rather than remove it.

How a kitchen works comes first for me. Decorating decisions follow.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Where's the keg at?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM

We've met with a designer and figured out what we're going to do! We don't even close on the house till the end of this month and we're doing the floors first and kitchen next so bear with me.

We are going with soapstone counter tops.

We are painting the lower cabinets a very subtle gray green. We are painting the upper cabinets a soft white. All cabinets will be slightly distressed.

We're moving the sink to underneath the window and putting a bump out window above the sink with built in shelves around it and above it. We're going with a big porcelain farmhouse sink in white.

We're moving the island down and making it larger because we're getting rid of the penninsula completely. I think we are going with a butcher block island top.

We've ordered a beautiful piece to put in the nook, rather than having cabinets built. Here it is:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...850dd1a905.jpg

I can't decide whether to go brushed nickel or oiled bronze for the fixtures....hmmmmm...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
It's going to look absolutely awesome! Love those ideas.

I think oiled bronze for the fixtures because the top of the nook cabinet is dark.

I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House