Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My house has 3 bathrooms, a full bath on the first floor and 2 full baths on the 2nd floor. The first-floor bath and the original 2nd-floor bath both have 1 outlet in the (hideous) mirrored cabinet above the vanity. The 3rd bath has no outlets at all, which I find very very odd since that bathroom was part of an addition from the late 1970s (house originally built in 1960).

Can someone give me a BALLPARK figure of how many hours of work it would be to:
- (1) add at least one "normal" outlet in bath #1 or #2 -- I would love to get rid of the hideous cabinets and there's definitely electricity there!!; and
- (2) add at least one outlet in the bathroom that doesn't have any. There is an outlet on the wall shared with an adjacent room (a bedroom), so I THINK power could be pulled from that (at least, that's what an electrician did at my last house -- pulled power from one side of a wall to the other side, and added an outlet where there had been none -- it was great!).

(Right now I have a Sonic toothbrush that I have to keep plugged in outside of the bathroom, which seems pretty silly. I know, I know, this is not one of the world's bigger problems, it's just annoying. )

Thanks in advance (and I am generous with reps for people who try to be helpful! )!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
#2 would take 20 minutes..... at least that's what it took my guy to do it. Same circumstances.

#1........Really can't say. Depends what is where in the wall and where you would prefer the outlets to be located.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
#2 would take 20 minutes..... at least that's what it took my guy to do it. Same circumstances.

#1........Really can't say. Depends what is where in the wall and where you would prefer the outlets to be located.
Hmmm ... OK, thanks (and reps to you!). I may check out bath #1 and bath #2 to see if they have nearby outlets on the other side of the walls. As for where I want the outlets, they can actually be very close to where the mirrored cabinets are now in #1 and #2 -- i.e., within a few inches. Given that info, I assume it wouldn't take TOO long ...

Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
I may be wrong but you only may be able to put a GFI outlet in the bath if it is within a certain distance of water.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Time and cost factor would vary. If you're removing and replacing and your electrical is old time and needs to be upgraded and installing GFI's etc to code then the time and costs will rise.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
#1.care you ok with simply cutting. Got a bigger box below the original medicine cabinet? The cabinets are usually screwed in the wall and can be removed. Usually boxed in recessed in wall but there may be access behind if its backing a hollow space. If you want the outlets on a different wall that just costs more.
If you're ok with simply cutting in a bigger box for dual outlets or a single outlet on either side of the inside of that stud bay you're looking at at least a 1-1.5 hrs. Since it is a existing home you probably want to avoid patching. And there is also clean up.

The second should be a 20-30 minute deal if you don't mind the outlet being powered off the existing bedroom circuit.

ALL outlets in a bathroom are supposed to be on one circuit to control all outlets for bathrooms. ONLY the first outlet needs to be a GFI and it controls all the other outlets
IF that's not possible then every outlet in a bathroom needs to be a GFI if each bathroom is controlled by a different circuit or it's simply shared with a bedroom or other circuit. So if one bathroom has its own circuit then you need a gfi outlet. If that circuit continues to the next bathroom your gfi goes on the first outlet of that circuit. The rest can be regular outlets. You cannot use multiple GFI outlets on the same circuit.

I expect to cost about 4 hrs worth of labor plus parts. Adding in the time it takes for set up research and doing the job and clean up and turn over. Also you want to simply get a explanation of what the job detail and let them get to work. If you like jaw jacking you're simply paying for them to talk to you. Try and get a complete job bid not a time and material.

If

Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I may be wrong but you only may be able to put a GFI outlet in the bath if it is within a certain distance of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Time and cost factor would vary. If you're removing and replacing and your electrical is old time and needs to be upgraded and installing GFI's etc to code then the time and costs will rise.
I figured I would need to do this, which I know adds time/money. That's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
#1.care you ok with simply cutting. Got a bigger box below the original medicine cabinet? The cabinets are usually screwed in the wall and can be removed. Usually boxed in recessed in wall but there may be access behind if its backing a hollow space. If you want the outlets on a different wall that just costs more.
If you're ok with simply cutting in a bigger box for dual outlets or a single outlet on either side of the inside of that stud bay you're looking at at least a 1-1.5 hrs. Since it is a existing home you probably want to avoid patching. And there is also clean up.

The second should be a 20-30 minute deal if you don't mind the outlet being powered off the existing bedroom circuit.

ALL outlets in a bathroom are supposed to be on one circuit to control all outlets for bathrooms. ONLY the first outlet needs to be a GFI and it controls all the other outlets
IF that's not possible then every outlet in a bathroom needs to be a GFI if each bathroom is controlled by a different circuit or it's simply shared with a bedroom or other circuit. So if one bathroom has its own circuit then you need a gfi outlet. If that circuit continues to the next bathroom your gfi goes on the first outlet of that circuit. The rest can be regular outlets. You cannot use multiple GFI outlets on the same circuit.

I expect to cost about 4 hrs worth of labor plus parts. Adding in the time it takes for set up research and doing the job and clean up and turn over. Also you want to simply get a explanation of what the job detail and let them get to work. If you like jaw jacking you're simply paying for them to talk to you. Try and get a complete job bid not a time and material.

If
Thanks, these details are very helpful! For bath #2 (which is the one I normally use when upstairs), I desperately need an outlet and it's fine for it to be near the cabinet -- I figured that would be the easiest since there is definitely power there. Bath #2, though, also has a built-in drawer/hutch cabinet, and I would love to have an outlet there -- it's on the facing wall. Alas, there's not an outlet on the other side of the wall (it's the dressing area of the master bedroom), I just checked ... so I think that one could get complicated.

4-6 hours for new outlets that meet code sounds OK to me -- I just had no idea. Thanks, and reps to all that I can!!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
You are best to get a couple of estimates from electricians. There can be all sorts of variables. Like if there is a nice large attic in which an electrician can run wires, then easy and less time needed. But if it is a one story brick house - no basement or attic, then running new wires can be a royal pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House