Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

I want to browse for some supplies for a bathroom remodel and wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for websites/stores. here's what I have as a high level plan (i can take a pic of the existing bathroom if that helps):

one wall currently has an oversized tub (circa 1928) on the wall. to the right of the tub is a large standing shower that finishes that wall. opposite the standing shower is a toilet that has a small window to the left, if facing the toilet. to the right of the toilet is a single vanity, on the larger size. to the right of that is the door.

my idea:

Replace oversized tub with a standard tub which would include a shower head (plumbing would need to be extended up the wall, nothing major)
Remove standing shower, relocated toilet to this spot.
Remove toilet/vanity and replace with double vanity
Install exhaust fan to replace what's currently a ceiling fan light fixture (no idea who did this, but it's awful).

Retile floor, and probably 1/2 way up the wall.

So the key things I need to shop for are:

Tub (we don't want anything super fancy i don't think, but i've never shopped for a tub)
Toilet (my BIL swears by i think the american standard golf ball toilet)
Double vanity (this is the main component I need to start browsing for)
Tile (i've got a few local ideas of where to look, i don't want to get too complicated though)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Be very very very very very careful...

I am a huge fan of some kinds of online shopping and even buy some things for remodeling online but plumbing is an exception.

I have known far too many people that have had to live with horrible delays caused by firms shipping the wrong plumbing and/or damaged plumbing items being a nightmare to replace via online sellers.

Not worth the hassle.

Sure, go ahead and look at all the pretty "gallery" shots from Kohler, Toto, American Standard and all the other bathroom fixture firms at both their corporate web sites as well as the web sites like houzz and others but when it comes time to BUY go to local bricks and motar dealer unless you really want to spend all winter with a busted tub in their garage like my neighbor did...

I would also caution that on a "dollars of repairs per square foot" my experince is that bathrooms take the cake ESPECIALLY when you start swapping around things like toilets for showers. The fact is that the spacing of each plumbing fixture is essentially optimized for not just the space in the bathroom but all the water supplies, drain lines and vents associated with that fixture and you create a hugely expensive domino of costs when things get moved even a little bit. Smart flippers know that getting newer fixtures that fit the existing space is a better way to go. Even more cost effective is hiring a firm that can "reglaze" existing fixtures to give the look of new at a fraction of the expense.

Mind you, if you goal is a "spa" and you budget is pretty nearly the price of an nice imported car than certainly go nuts and move everything to your heart's content, but if you have "mere mortal" budget and normal desires it is real easy to let a bathroom renovation get way way way out of hand ...

Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Where to start-

Build.com Smarter Home Improvement - Plumbing, Lighting, HVAC, Door Hardware & More - Build.com

From there Houzz and Pinterest

Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
thanks K'ledgeBldry, that's exactly the type of thing i'm looking for. like i said chet, just looking for ideas right now. and i recognize moving the toilet can be expensive. i'm going to see once i get to that stage. i'm literally just trying to pick out the various supplies right now so i can get an idea of my costs based on my taste.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
I love Houzz.

Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,426 times
bradykp,

If you are not real short, do consider a vanity that is higher than the old standard of 30". Companies that also make kitchen cabinets usually offer vanities that are about 3" taller. At 5' 6" I find I much prefer a taller vanity. Take a look at the comfort height toilets vs the older style toilets as well. These are some things you may not notice in a photo - so ask friends if they have a higher vanity or comfort height toilet so you can actually see if you might prefer them to the standard height.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House