Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times

Advertisements

My neighbor got her imbecile son-in-law to touch-up sections of her wood dog-eared fence with some kind of red oil stain this past Sunday morning. The imbecile used a pump sprayer (Hudson sprayer) to apply the red oil stain. As a result he covered about 90% of my concrete slab next to our wood fence with red drips including the roof and front side of my metal shed including the doors. He also managed to stain my river rocks between the slab and the wood fence and my landscaping lights. The material he used is tough as nails. My shed was in perfect condition so I attacked that first. I had to use a heavy duty degreaser with a lot of force. Paint thinner, mineral spirits or Goof-Off would remove the finish color of the shed so I couldn't use those products. Honestly, I can't believe he didn't catch that he was over spraying so badly between the wood slats and over the top or that he didn't look over the fence just to know what concerns there may be before painting a shared fence.

I managed to remove some of the stain drips on the concrete with professional strength Goof-Off which comes in a metal gallon. The bad thing about this stuff is that it's a chemical and it stinks real bad. I don't like messing with these harsh chemicals.

I have about 100 square feet of concrete left to clean plus a few drops here and there. Can someone recommend me a product that's eco-friendly for this type of job? Would a pressure washer be strong enough for removing tough red oil stains? The neighbor will be reimbursing me for my expenses so screw her. For the river rocks the best thing to do is just turn them over and regular Goof-Off will remove the drops on my black plastic landscaping lights.

-Cheers.

Last edited by MountainBiking; 10-16-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Call your insurance company and see if they will cover the cost of repair, tell them exactly what happened and ask them if they can or will go after your neighbor for reimbursement.
Then hire someone to do the clean up for you.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
I agree. Call your insurance. They may not fix your rocks, but the patio might be covered under your homeowners as well as any additional structures on the property. This pretty much equates to vandalism, IMO.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Have you approached the neighbor about this already?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Have you approached the neighbor about this already?
Yes. When I got home on Sunday (the day this happened) I went over to her house and told her the bad news. She did confirm her son-in-law stained the fence in the morning. I was out on my long bike ride. She came over to take a look. She was stunned and she apologized profusely. She said she would reimburse me for the damages. It won't be a $20 receipt from The Home Depot and I will charge her for my time as agreed upon.

-Cheers.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Your best bet might be to hire someone professional from the outset.

At a minimum I would go to a paint store (I recommend Sherwin Williams) and describe the situation. Then ask them what the best remedy is. I almost wonder if you should skip the chemicals and just pressure wash everything. SW should be able to recommend someone for that & tell you how strong of equipment they can use before causing damage. That said pulling anything from concrete or stone is going to be brutal if you can't pressure wash it off. Atleast with the shed you can get good enough and try and hit it with a coat of paint to cover.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Since it's red you could just throw some decapitated mannequins out there and call it Halloween decorations.

I'd definitely go to a paint store and ask what to get. Take a photo of a can of the stain to show them as well.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I would hire a professional as well - they might be nice neighbors but when money is involved, all bets are off. She/they can't dispute your time, hourly fee, etc.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Did you ask the neighbor for the product that was used so you have some idea what its made of so you can properly find out what to use to remove it? You could be spending so much enegery when the product says to mix Bud Lite with a can of Del Monte Apple Sauce (unsalted of course) and that will make it just dissapear. Pro, DIY, or gettinga dvice from the paint store, they will all want to know what product was used; otherwise thay have to just make educated guesses (that can be wrong).

Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
yep I would call the insurance company and I feel for you we all always have the one nimrod neighbor .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House