Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 PM

198 posts, read 484,369 times

Advertisements

Just a follow up....They dropped the delivery fee and another $75 dump fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
OP - did you have to pay the entire thing up front? On our last debacle with Lowes, they insisted that we pay for everything - materials AND labor - up front. And told us that if we had any problems at all, we had all of Lowes "fighting for us." What a laugh.

The only thing they fought was coming back out to our house and picking up all their stupid stuff and getting the hell out of my life forever. I finally had to get on the phone and tell the manager, "If you can't get someone to get out here and pick up all this stuff TODAY and give us a full refund TODAY, then I expect YOU to get in YOUR truck and come pick it up yourself."

He came and got it - after I threatened to put them on the evening news. Guess he knew I was dead serious.

But that's what you get when a woman is living with everything from the back of her house in her living room for two weeks, trying to dig through piles of clothes for shoes and underwear, when the installation was supposed to be weeks earlier.

Bunch of buffoons. Never again.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
It is my understanding that Lowe's and HD's pick up and delivery fee is what their subcontractors charge those stores to pickup and deliver to the job for your project
We've used both Lowe's and HD for some contracting work and are completely satisfied. Both stores sent over an inspector at the finish of the job to see if it was done correctly and to our satisfaction. If not the sub contractor does not get paid until whatever it is is rectified.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
It is my understanding that Lowe's and HD's pick up and delivery fee is what their subcontractors charge those stores to pickup and deliver to the job for your project
We've used both Lowe's and HD for some contracting work and are completely satisfied. Both stores sent over an inspector at the finish of the job to see if it was done correctly and to our satisfaction. If not the sub contractor does not get paid until whatever it is is rectified.
I'm glad your experiences were better than mine.

That being said, I have a fundamental issue with paying in full for a job before it's done. I don't care whether Lowe's pays the subcontractor after the job is done or up front - I still have to pay Lowe's in full before the job is completed. No bueno.

OP, here's what happened to us:

We picked out a floor for our master bedroom wing and scheduled the installation date. Yes, we paid in full, even though we didn't like that idea. The flooring was supposed to be in in five days, and then delivered the sixth day so it could sit in our house and acclimate (hardwood flooring) for 48 hours and then the installation was scheduled for the 8th day.

On the sixth day, we called to check on things. Our stuff wasn't in, we were told. So we had to reschedule the installation. They had a hard time with the date, but finally found one - about two weeks out, but surely it would be in by then, because it had already shipped. Sigh.

So - nearly two weeks went by, and finally we called again. The warehouse told us our stuff had been sitting in the warehouse for THREE WEEKS - it HAD come in prior to the originally scheduled date - actually just three days after we ordered it. Grr! So we scheduled the delivery and took off work.

The delivery never came. The installation was set for two days after the planned delivery, which just didn't happen. We were hopping mad at this point - and we had moved all our stuff out of our bedroom and closet in preparation. Now it wasn't going to happen, because the stuff had to sit in our house for at least 24 hours. So we raised cane and my husband finally said, "I'll just come get it myself and unload all of it so we can get it installed." So he did so.

The job was supposed to take 1 day but we were told it would be a long day. By 11 am the subcontractor still hadn't shown up. Finally he showed up around 2. Then come to find out, Lowes hadn't ordered some stuff we had to have. He said he would have to reschedule because we had to have that stuff (some sort of glue). OMG!

So...the glue took a week to come in. Meanwhile, all our stuff is in the living room and our mattress is on the floor. Once again, no call when the stuff came in and when we called, we were told it had been there for days. They insisted that they had called us - on both our cell phones. We had not received a call. Once again, we had to reschedule the installation. Now we had been living as if we were in a cave, completely unable to even use our living room, for nearly two weeks.

The guys showed up - and told us that this would be a three or four day job because instead of three guys they only had one guy who could be here all the time, and the other one could only be here for a couple of hours each day. This was a new subcontractor now.

He walked into the garage and said, "What is this glue stuff? This isn't what you need. This is for laminate flooring, not wood flooring." I need to back up and say that every time we had called Lowes, they'd said, "Oh, this is about your LAMINATE flooring" and every time they said that, we had said, "No - it's not laminate - it's wood." Every time.

At this point, my husband said, "Leave." They left. We called Lowes and told them to come get their stuff out of our house and give us a refund. They said they couldn't come get it for three more days. My husband said, "I want a refund this instant. Come get this stuff now." Nope. And to add insult to injury, they wanted to charge us a fee for coming to get the stuff!

At this point, we got the manager on the phone and he began to whine about not having any delivery guys free to come get the stuff. I said, "Do you drive a truck?" He said, "Yes." I said, "Well then, I suggest that you put your thirty something year old self into that truck and come over here yourself and load this stuff up and refund us this afternoon. If my fifty five year old husband can come to Lowes and get it all, you can surely come to our house and take it back. If it's not out of my house by 4 pm and our debit card credited for the full amount by 5 pm, you are going to be on the local news tomorrow at 6 pm." (I used to work at the local TV station and they do consumer reports about local businesses that provide poor service).

He came and got the stuff.

The next day we went to a locally owned flooring center. We got a prettier, better quality product and the total cost for material and installation was about one THOUSAND DOLLARS less than Lowes. And get this - it took two guys one day to install it all, two days after we placed the order.

Mission accomplished.

We still shop at Lowes. In fact, we own some Lowes stock. I will buy appliances there and smaller items. But I will never, never, never hire them to do a major project for me ever again.

This was the second project we tried to use them for, by the way. I won't bore you with the details of the first one but I'll just say that the subcontractor was very late, ran very behind schedule, and it was a frustrating experience.

As the old saying goes, "Fooled me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
Yeah I agree Trapper that I could likely get it done cheaper by shopping around but my rationale for going with with A big box store is that the subcontractor has to answer to Lowes for the quality of their work. If something goes horribly wrong I go to Lowes rather than battle some tile guy who doesn't care. Ever see Adam Caralla's show "Catch a Contractor". I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid that kind of situation.

Also I don't know any tile guys that I trust.

My sister used a local flooring guy and he did a terrible job. I've used Lowes before for a smaller laminate job in my son's playroom and it turned out well.

The delivery fee just seems over the top when I'm paying them both for the product and to install it.
Read the small print. You will be dealing with the sub.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
Just tell then to waive it or you'll walk !!!!

I bet that they'll call a supervisor really quick and it'll be waived !!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,964 times
Intresting! In regards to these expose the contractor shows. I believe if you investigated them you would see that they are probably sponsered by big box stores. However the show does not tell you that you could get the shaft from anyone. Even a big box store. Calling them (The Big Box Stores) to try and work things out doesn't always work. I have been a sub-contractor on my own for nearly 40 years. I too have gotten the shaft from sub-contractors, and it doesn't matter in what. The majority of sub-contractors can be trusted in any industry, but because of the growing hard heartedness of human kind there will always be a few that will make it harder for us honest ones. If it were me I would try and work it out with Lowes but it really doesn't matter who installs the job. You may or may not get a quality installation. But they most likely will waive the deliviery fee.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Delivery fee when they're doing the install? LOL on that BS. Glad you got it waived, OP, but I will echo the chorus of other posters that I wouldn't trust them to do the install in the first place.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
At $5800 it better be waived.

Talk to the store manager- s/he won't let a 5grand sale walk out the door.
^^This, I've never paid a delivery charge on large ticket items.

One thing they may not have told you about is their contractors Accounts Receivable card, it works like an old fashioned budget accout, you pay money in and then get to spend it on goods. With this card you get 5% off AND free delivery. It takes but 5 minutes to set up and is worth it if you are renovating a house.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Delivery fee when they're doing the install? LOL on that BS. Glad you got it waived, OP, but I will echo the chorus of other posters that I wouldn't trust them to do the install in the first place.
You are dealing with two entities - Lowes/HD and the contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House