Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times

Advertisements

So looking to do some stuff to help save money in the long haul in a house.

Any tips on sealing things like walls at outlets, light switch covers?

Things like the best ways to seal doors. Example my current house when the door is shut you can see light in certain areas, obviously letting heat out.

Does window tint make a major difference? (obviously does on cars)

Worth going through duct work and taping up gaps?

Insulating hot water pipes, programmable thermostats, etc....

Mainly looking at some smaller energy efficient things around the house. Looking beyond the new appliance stuff. Figure we could get a good discussion going.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Any tips on sealing things like walls at outlets, light switch covers? do so
Worth going through duct work and taping up gaps? yes
Insulating hot water pipes, programmable thermostats, etc.... yes

Mainly looking at some smaller energy efficient things around the house.
You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
The main thing is to plan your efforts so they don't conflict with others...
and don't require going back over the same areas.

hth

Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM

102 posts, read 308,109 times
I sealed my front and back doors with storm doors. They cut the sound dramatically while helping with the insulation. Mine are these from Larson:

Shop LARSON 36"W White Secure Elegance Fixed Glass Only Storm Door at Lowes.com

My garage entry door also had huge gaps. I ended up insulating the garage door with these: Corning Garage Door Insulation They get mixed reviews at Amazon, but work well for me.

Since the garage enters into my utility room, I weatherstripped the utility room door and it helps a little. Then I put a floormat at the foot of the door to further seal the utility room. The sound from the washer/dryer is cut considerably.

I also installed double-cell cellular blinds on all my windows that seem to help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House