Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

We're just starting a bathroom remodel that will take a number of days. Both my husband and I work, and though we can arrange to be there some days, we can't be there for all of them.

Is it normal for jobs like this to let contractors work in your house when you're not home? Though I don't know him personally, he's the nephew of a coworker and a long-time friend of another good friend of ours. So he's not a stranger we picked up on Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
When I had a scheduling conflict with a handyman team, I considered letting them work alone in my home. I was told (by the comany) that it's not unusual for them to work in houses alone. They told me that they'd "leave the door unlocked" when they were done.

In the end, I couldn't do it. There was just way too much risk. However, you seem to have a quasi-relationship with your contractor, so it might be OK.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I pack away valuables and prescription medicine but as long as it's someone I know, I have let someone work alone. Depending on what they are doing, it can be too loud and disruptive to work from home with remodeling going on, although I think that's the best option when it works out. One of you should be there to let them in the morning and discuss what's going on and any questions you have, and I personally think it's better to come home early so you are there when they leave to check on what's happening and get another chance to make sure things are being done properly while they are there to talk to about it. Plus I'm not keen on leaving the house open with no one there, but I guess that could vary by location.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I never leave someone work inside the house without me being there once I live in the house. If it was empty, maybe.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
We have.... with no hesitation and zero problems.

But we have always dealt with reputable local companies that are recommended by friends.
No random strangers or out of town subs.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
In most cases, my clients have allowed me and/or my subcontractors to access their home for repairs. But there were a few along the way that were adamant about being present when something needed to be done.

Those few were generally the most annoying- they would always be in a foul mood because they "had to" take time from work. My favorite comment (which I received twice), "I wouldn't have to take time off from work if you built a house perfectly".

And I thought to myself- "I'm sorry, would you rather take time from me or my subs personal and family time and do it on Sunday?"

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
In most cases, my clients have allowed me and/or my subcontractors to access their home for repairs. But there were a few along the way that were adamant about being present when something needed to be done.

Those few were generally the most annoying- they would always be in a foul mood because they "had to" take time from work. My favorite comment (which I received twice), "I wouldn't have to take time off from work if you built a house perfectly".

And I thought to myself- "I'm sorry, would you rather take time from me or my subs personal and family time and do it on Sunday?"
Er, yes. I mean, I know realistically it's not going to happen. But if it's correcting a mistake that you made, then yes, I would actually prefer that my life be disrupted less which would mean my not having to take time off work to be available to give you an opportunity to correct your error. The fact that it cuts into your family time doesn't remove the annoyance at having to rearrange my schedule to accommodate fixing someone else's mistake.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We have.... with no hesitation and zero problems.

But we have always dealt with reputable local companies that are recommended by friends.
No random strangers or out of town subs.
Right - same here.

Right now in fact, I've had strangers working in my house for a month redoing my kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. No problems whatsoever. We chose a place to hide the garage door opener in a ziplock baggie outside, and they come and go as they need to and I do too.

We do have a security system and they know it - they know there are a couple of cameras around. But they are also bonded and they work with a reputable local company with a sterling reputation for honesty. The two teams of workers have been with this company for at least ten years with no turnover.

Even with that good reputation though, I don't leave valuables laying around, and I always lock my computer. I usually leave receipts and bills (which would have account numbers sometimes) in a container on our desk, but I put that out of sight. No point in asking for trouble.

They have repeatedly told me how much they appreciate that I don't interfere with their work. Our usual routine is to meet up in the morning, and they ask questions or get clarification on things and then I get out of their way. I don't even WANT to be around with all the noise, dust, etc.

That evening, their boss calls me (every evening) to recap what was done, to go over any issues, or ideas, etc. He then tells me what they plan to do the next day.

It's a great system and the more I stay out of their way, the more they get done. But then...they're a really good company and not prone to making stupid mistakes so that helps.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback! This makes me feel better.

Leaving the house open is not a problem for us, as we've got a teenager who has been leaving the side door open for years. And we do have a safe where we already keep most of our valuables (see prior teenager comment, heh).

I had to believe that people have large projects done on their house without being there 24/7. People have to work and you can't expect contractors to work evening and weekends. It does make me feel better hearing from other homeowners and contractors though. This is the first big project we've done where we will be letting people come and go while we aren't here, and I wasn't sure what was customary.

I like the suggestion of being here in the morning to check progress in person. That is a good one, thank you!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I always lock my computer. I usually leave receipts and bills (which would have account numbers sometimes) in a container on our desk, but I put that out of sight. No point in asking for trouble.
Oh that is a good suggestion and something I hadn't considered. Thank you!

That reminds me that we have security cameras on our house too. We'd put them up to deter my son's "friends" from TPing our house. Of course, all that ended the minute he graduated high school, but the cameras are still there. Forgot about them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House