Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedOne View Post
I DM to you a elemental start. Understand the physics then report back. Prove I am wrong!

Otherwise, unless this forum for other than respectful curiosity and truly seeking solutions or answers -- then I suppose one who has a genuine desire to help others is not invited to participate.

In the future, if you have anything negative to say, DM me. I started the thread to build interest that in time the solution be presented. Sadly, immediate gratification seems the norm for a few.

Thank you for the comments. As I am new to this forum, I will try to dumb matter down. Unfortunately, getting my points across may take longer for some than others.

I don't have to prove anything, and I certainly don't have to do some mathematical equation to prove anything. There was another poster here that did the same thing- do you feel that proves your superiority? He certainly thought so. And no, I won't send you a DM when my response has a negative connotation to your thought process.

Considering that you joined this forum just mere days ago, and have amassed over 100posts already I'd say you are freshly unemployed and have nothing better to do...

Welcome; and speak with INFORMATION not vocabulary that the masses can't understand. As for "dumbing down matter"- you can't get much more down than atoms. You might try dumbing down the "material". It doesn't matter how long it takes- what matters is making it understandable, credible, and informative.

The biggest point I see that you have failed to administer is cost. Building a near or absolute "net zero" house is outrageously expensive. And with the cost of housing escalating, "affordable housing" is becoming more and more unattainable.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 01-13-2015 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,512,293 times
Quote:
I will DM it to you because you seem to have a basic foundation of what I am talking about.
Here is a response to your DM, as I have nothing that I cannot share with the entire thread:

Sorry, I get spam emails all the time wanting me to verify or provide information, even if the information is a confidentiality agreement sent to your personal email account. I don't fall for that in my email and I'm not falling for it now. If you can't provide a little more useable information in the thread, then I am inclined to side with the "yahoos" as you called them.

This is a public forum and if you do not want to share information with the public, then it is a waste, IMO, for you to post anything.

I am indeed in the process of building an energy efficient home and am interested in what you have to offer, but since you said in your DM that you "must be assured of absolute confidentiality", I guess I will just need to miss out on your wisdom.

I don't want to be privy to information that you are not willing to share with others.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
Where to send monies kind sir? I wish to has efficiency in home!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
thecoalman, this is neither anything about free energy machines or a scam. Curious, have you ever witnessed a free energy system? I'd like to hear what you [think] know. Might you be aware such free energy systems are widely used about the world in a multitude of technologies, did you know that? Share with me one. I mean no offense but please tell this forum you are aware of at least one such free energy technology that most on the planet have heard of at least once in their life.

If you cannot then please do not contribute or comment to that which you taint. Thank you. I will be back later this week to let all on my posts know about one free energy tech you are unable to arrive an answer for.
No I have not, at least one that works but I've seen plenty of scams even in the coal heating industry. They are usually filled with vague and wild claims meant to impress the layman.

You have provided absolutely no substantive information and unless you can I'm saying BS.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 AM

388 posts, read 536,664 times
Quote:
Merc63... YES! This was exactly what I had hoped any viewing interest would conclude. Thank you!

Unlike "headingtoDenver's" remark about turning off everything for 3 weeks to achieve such low energy consumption levels... Frankly, as I get the first round of sarcasm I see exactly what that homeowner meant about few if any believed her low electric bills.

If this is the type of response you wanted to get, and did receive, then you agree that your original post was structured in such a way to obtain it.

This type of reaction is easily obtained by providing a topic proclaiming hard to reach goals/results without any relevant details to prove or back it up. Which is basically what you provided.

So.. I guess I can say good job!

Knowing that you are posting in a public forum, if you wanted an actual conversations and interest, then at least initial/basic relevant data should have included. THis would then lead to discussions and further information with interested parties without the need of "confidential DM's" which defeats the purpose of a public discussion forum.

Similarly, I can create a new thread stating "I easily obtained a $400k job with a 3 hour work day, 24 weeks vacation of which my employer pays all expenses. Along with 2 fully paid houses (for summer and winter) a luxury car, and a rental property overseas... all paid by my employer. DM me to find out how." Along with a simple picture of a mansion.

My expectations would be first, second, third (and so on) rounds of sarcasm, denial, and other negative feedback. And I know I wouldn't be disappointed in those expectations!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,967 times
Quote:
...This home is occupied full time.

...super-efficient thermal shells that do not loose or gain heat like normal floors, walls, roofs, or ceilings - even windows

...multistage water heating systems

...normal efficiency appliances and conventional lighting...
Including these tidbits of information in your first post would have been more beneficial for a positive replies rather than your "funny story" followed by your posts about how you would have to dumb down the information for us to understand it. Communication fail.

Oh, and for another dose of sarcasm, I bet you're a joy to interact with at social gatherings.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,611,956 times
Quote:
Ok, rrtechno: What can you tell me about molecular activity and heat transport mechanism within an idealized model? Why the radiant transport of the idealized model will shed light on that which absolutely be done for composite home insulation.

The matter is about "de-tuning" the frequency of heat.

If I just gave an answer telling all how to do anything they simply would not learn anything, let alone sufficiently understand and how to proceed.
Unfortunately I think you might have to have a native speaker edit your writings before anyone will understand them. But since you're hellbent on keeping them secret I call scam.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,952,803 times
I think what most of you have missed in this post is in the title "$21/mo to heat and cool". That does not mean that's the total electric bill, just the cost to heat and cool. When we were on Environments for Better Living program, we had 3800 sq ft houses that the cost to heat and cool, was only 50 bucks or less. The 50 bucks would have been the absolute maximum to heat/cool the house keeping the thermostat at 75F. It worked. But that was not the total bill. The rate was figured by the insulation package and construction methodology and our local electrical rate and by the equipment used for the environmentals. Obviously we had to use blower door testing and get certification from EFL but it worked as advertised. Since then I'd say most houses today that have any energy package at all would probably qualify, it's not rocket science here. Where most electrical usage comes from is leaving lights on, TVs running, internet, gaming, appliances, and charginging ports for all of our cell phones, and other rechargeables. Calculating the energy requirements used by the equipment installed is very predicable. You know how much energy a unit will use per hour, it's in the specs. I think EFL used a rate of 80% run time as max. Now you know exactly how much energy the unit can use in that time frame. Now times the local rate for electricity and Viola! You now know exactly how much energy the house will use as a maximum to heat and cool.

As I'm remembering EFL, we had basic 2x 4 construction, they wanted structural T-Ply on the walls but I added Simpson T bracing. I'm not a fan of T Ply. We used Low E Squared glass in the aluminum windows which were white. They had us using cellulose insulation in the walls and ALL exterior walls got insulation including behind stairwells. The fireplace enclosures were insulated and we had netted R36 blown in glas insulation in the attic. Water heaters were in the attics along with air handlers. We used Puron units only 18 SEER and all soffits were sealed, no vents. Only gable end vents and ridge vents. We also used a fresh air return on the intake of the air handler which was a 6" tube. The ductwork was an R12 as I recall but that might not be accurate but it was more than the common R value. All penetrations were foamed as were the plates which were installed on foam sill material. All window returns were foamed and the windows were installed in silicone with asphalt based adhesive vinyl tape acting as flashing all around. I still used head flashing anyway. All exterior doors were insulated and foamed. The houses were tight as far as air infiltration. So tight we learned to run a combustible air vent to the fireplace or it wouldn't burn. Yeah, I know, standard now on a fireplace but it was new back then. Radiant barrier roof decking and 4 sides brick made for a pretty decent house. Now a days most of that is pretty much common building practices which is why I say most of the new houses probably would qualify. If you want to find out, you can install a timer on the air handler times the SEER of the unit times your local utility rate. It's probably a lot less than you think.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM

266 posts, read 450,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't have to prove anything, and I certainly don't have to do some mathematical equation to prove anything. There was another poster here that did the same thing- do you feel that proves your superiority? He certainly thought so. And no, I won't send you a DM when my response has a negative connotation to your thought process.

Considering that you joined this forum just mere days ago, and have amassed over 100posts already I'd say you are freshly unemployed and have nothing better to do...

Welcome; and speak with INFORMATION not vocabulary that the masses can't understand. As for "dumbing down matter"- you can't get much more down than atoms. You might try dumbing down the "material". It doesn't matter how long it takes- what matters is making it understandable, credible, and informative.

The biggest point I see that you have failed to administer is cost. Building a near or absolute "net zero" house is outrageously expensive. And with the cost of housing escalating, "affordable housing" is becoming more and more unattainable.
If, as your moniker implies "knowledgable builder", a healthy mindset to contributing to this or any post in positive manner is preferrd -- not to make any seem inferior. We humans thrive went we elevate others up, not down.

Please, and this pertains to all, if you haven't anything positive to contribute, please do not tarnish this or others' posts.

When I see tripe and negativity I tend to think about starting a thread in the Phsycology section about how and why people are (manifestations and other issues included) the way they are -simply by the way they write in response to others. Look for it soon.

Thank you.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:

Please, and this pertains to all, if you haven't anything positive to contribute, please do not tarnish this or others' posts.
Firstly there would need to be something to comment on, secondly this is a discussion forum and there is nothing here to discuss other than the lack of substance in your first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House