Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 11,825 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a new house and been researching on appliances to get. What do you guys recommend? For the fridge, we would like for it to be a side by side. The washer we were thinking a front loader, but I keep reading reviews on how it smells moldy. I was looking to purchase the washer/dryer from lowes (probably lg or whirlpool brand), but keep on reading bad reviews on it. Then I stumbled upon the speed queen brand and was wondering what did u guys think of them? Would rather pay extra now for it to last 10+ years. For you speed queen owners, do u guys have any recommendation on dealers that sells them in the Houston area.

My budget for each item is listed below
Fridge: $1500-1800 (was planning on purchasing the lg side by side, the door within door model from lowes with the extended warranty)

washer: $800-$1000
Dryer: $800-$1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
I wanted a door within door side by side fridge, but I went with the Samsung one instead of the LG. When I spent a long time comparing them, and trying to visualize how I'd use it on daily basis, I felt the Samsung one offered more space on the door and it was more accessible both with the showcase door open and with the full fridge door open.

I also went with the Samsung front loader washer and dryer that I bought at the same time (new construction so I needed all new all at once). I live in a dry climate and I keep the washer door open after each load and I've never had any issue with mold, either now or before when I had a Whirlpool front loader. To be honest, I liked my Whirlpool Affinity better than the Samsung so I'd recommend that. I had the Whirlpool for 7 years and no problems other than I broke the plastic door latch because I closed it too hard, and that was something I was able to replace myself once I found it online to order.

I personally like the front loader - I find it gets clothes cleaner and it was also easier for my kid to help. He's 11 and would still not be able to reach all the way to the bottom of a top loader, but with a front loader, he's been doing his own laundry (under supervision) for several years now.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 11,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I wanted a door within door side by side fridge, but I went with the Samsung one instead of the LG. When I spent a long time comparing them, and trying to visualize how I'd use it on daily basis, I felt the Samsung one offered more space on the door and it was more accessible both with the showcase door open and with the full fridge door open.

I also went with the Samsung front loader washer and dryer that I bought at the same time (new construction so I needed all new all at once). I live in a dry climate and I keep the washer door open after each load and I've never had any issue with mold, either now or before when I had a Whirlpool front loader. To be honest, I liked my Whirlpool Affinity better than the Samsung so I'd recommend that. I had the Whirlpool for 7 years and no problems other than I broke the plastic door latch because I closed it too hard, and that was something I was able to replace myself once I found it online to order.

I personally like the front loader - I find it gets clothes cleaner and it was also easier for my kid to help. He's 11 and would still not be able to reach all the way to the bottom of a top loader, but with a front loader, he's been doing his own laundry (under supervision) for several years now.
How long have you had your samsung fridge now? Any problems with it?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:51 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
How long have you had your samsung fridge now? Any problems with it?
I've had it about 15 months. No problems at all other than adjusting to the limitations of a counter depth model. But I can't really blame the fridge for that! lol! And getting used to the sensitivity of the controls on the water dispenser, you have to kind of wave your finger tip over them in a certain way. But aside from that incredibly minor thing, I've been very pleased with it.

Make sure to get metal hoses for the fridge water line and for the washer and dryer (I got the steam dryer, so yes, it has a water hose)

Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,372,764 times
Front-load washers can get a bit of mold around the front rubber ring surrounding the main opening, if the washer isn't "aired out" after it's used. This means leaving the door open till the washer's had time to dry out.

This isn't something that can't be fixed, though. The rubber ring can be removed and hand washed with a peroxide solution. Then run a couple of hot cycles with peroxide added to the water.

Most importantly... there are special cleaning tablets that are available at grocery stores now in the detergent aisle, made for front-load washers, just to keep them from developing mold in that rubber ring. (Affresh is one brand, it's around $8 for three tablets)... You just put a tablet in the machine once a month, and run a hot water cycle. If you do that, it prevents mold from developing.

I use both a front-load washer and dryer and wouldn't switch, even with having to run the cleaning cycle with the tablet once a month for the washer.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:12 PM

17,715 posts, read 29,853,881 times
The washer discussion will degenerate into into 7 completely predictable responses.
Front loader sucks.
Front loader great.
Top loader traditional sucks.
Top loader traditional great.
Top loader HE sucks.
Top loader HE great.
Speed Queen!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
If you want a Speed Queen go buy an old Kenmore set and clean it up. Should be able to get it under $100 easy. You can punch in the serial numbers of the units, mine were made in 1994. Yes. 1994. 22 years old. A new Speed Queen (to me) is overpriced.

Something like this
Washer/Dryer

I have rolled the units up and down stairs (no dolly) when moving even. Absolute incredible durability out of those units. I bought my set used while in college 14 years ago for $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House