Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:50 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

The new home I am moving into has a gas supplied vs an electric stove. I haven't seen/used one of those since, well since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. As such, my knowledge of them is quite sparse.....and outdated. For example, I didn't know that they don't use pilot lights anymore.

After reading about that tragedy of the dad and many kids killed by CO poisoning with one poster's note about gas stoves, I got to wondering what should I know about them, look for to be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Firstly I'm jealous, anybody that likes to cook will always take gas range over electric.

Anything that burns will produce CO however as long as it's functioning properly gas produces very little. So little they are used in ventless heaters where all the emissions go directly into the home... I wouldn't recommend it though for more reasons that just the CO.

In any event that stove will produce very little CO. I'd suggest getting a CO detector but be sure to get one with a readout for the PPM so you can understand what the levels are. It will probably go up as you are cooking but quickly dissipate.

The issue with CO at low levels is not the short term exposure but the long term exposure. It bonds to the hemoglobin in your blood and it can't carry oxygen. This can build up over time, hours or even days.

As far as running a generator inside a home no matter what the source of fuel that is just stupidity as the combustion process will never be efficient as open flame and will produce a lot of CO even if it's natural gas generator.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Wow. Come up to the NE where I am and all we have are gas ranges. People are not dying left and right. There are so many more things out there more likely to kill you, like driving your car. Then again, I guess electricity never kills people. (I kid, of course.)

It is very easy to put up a CO detector if that is a concern of yours. They might already have one. Problem solved.

If the home you are moving into doesn't have the manual for the stove, you could probably download it.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The new home I am moving into has a gas supplied vs an electric stove. I haven't seen/used one of those since, well since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. As such, my knowledge of them is quite sparse.....and outdated. For example, I didn't know that they don't use pilot lights anymore.

After reading about that tragedy of the dad and many kids killed by CO poisoning with one poster's note about gas stoves, I got to wondering what should I know about them, look for to be safe?
If you're talking about the deaths in MD last week that had nothing to do with a gas stove. It had everything to do with running a generator inside the house.

It took me years to get used to cooking with electric, I grew up using gas and still prefer it.

If it was unsafe you'd be hearing daily stories.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:29 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Modern day ranges and CO shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Besides, you have too actually BURN gas to produce CO.

Suffice it to say that unless your heating your house with the range (dumbass idea) you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're talking about the deaths in MD last week that had nothing to do with a gas stove. It had everything to do with running a generator inside the house.

It took me years to get used to cooking with electric, I grew up using gas and still prefer it.

If it was unsafe you'd be hearing daily stories.
I would ask you to read more carefully what I said. My concern was generated out of what "ONE POSTER'S NOTE ABOUT GAS STOVES".

Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
We just updated our stove, from electric and flat glass top (ugh) to a gas stove. I LOVE it.

Just an aside note - my entire family nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning about twenty five years ago. We all had to be medivacced to San Antonio and put in a hyperbaric chamber for five days of treatment. It was pretty dramatic. But that carbon monoxide poisoning was from a faulty panel on a gas heater - not a gas stove.

Since then, I've simply always had a carbon monoxide detector in the house (two now, because we have a two story house). I recommend getting the type that you can plug in but which have a battery back up, vs the ones that are only battery or only electricity powered. That way you're not having to worry about replacing batteries all the time, but if your electricity goes out, it will still work.

A good one only costs about $25 at the most.

I guess my point is, if I'm not freaked out about a gas stove, nobody should be! LOL

Anyway, I LOVE cooking with gas. Enjoy! And congrats on your new place.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
I would ask you to read more carefully what I said. My concern was generated out of what "ONE POSTER'S NOTE ABOUT GAS STOVES".
Um, OP, you also specifically mentioned the dad and kids who were killed -- but they were killed because the dad used a generator in the house. Very very sad, but also just so stupid it's almost unbelievable.

My current house has an electric stove and I don't like it at all. When I remodel my kitchen in the next few years, I will definitely switch over to gas (propane, in my case -- no natural gas where I live).

I have CO detectors in my house. They are very inexpensive and will give you peace of mind!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I understand your concern and had the same fears. I cooked on electric ranges my entire life, then I retired and got a gas range. I really love it. It allows you to cook more precisely, comes on instantly, and when it's off, it's off. The electric smooth top ranges are easier to clean, but if you enjoy cooking, gas takes cooking to a whole new level. I have had zero issues and I use it every day. I did get a carbon monoxide detector, just to be safe, but it's never gone off. I hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

Which poster would that be? I had the 4th post (3rd response) and no one mentioned, specifically, an incident related to gas stoves.

Stick with electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House