Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 AM

25 posts, read 96,742 times

Advertisements

I'd like to soundproof a wall in a bedroom that is shared with the kitchen so that it's more quiet. At the moment, all kitchen noise is easily heard in the bedroom. Even running water in the kitchen sink is very audible in the room, as well as using drawers, cabinet doors, etc.

What is the best economical way to soundproof that wall? Here are the ideas I've come up with so far (all to be done in the bedroom):

- Installing bookshelves (Ikea Billy) against that wall, and filling it with books and other stuff. Will this work? What I'm worried about is how much of the wall needs to be covered in order for this to be effective? I don't think I'd be able to fully cover that entire wall with bookshelves, as I need to leave some room for the bedroom door to open/close. Also, is it okay is the bookshelves don't go all the way up to the ceiling? Here's a picture that might help:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0255415_PE399484_S3.JPG

http://betweennapsontheporch.net/wp-...Library-06.jpg

http://www.runtoradiance.com/wp-cont...okshelf-12.jpg

The one I'd be getting would not be a built in bookshelf. And I've been thinking about sticking foam or other sound-dampening material to the back of the bookshelf before placing it against the wall for increased sound absorption efficiency. I'm just wondering if the bookshelf doesn't cover that entire wall and with gaps at the top and a sizeable area near the door, if this would still be effective overall?

- The bedroom has hardwood floors and there is no carpet or rug at the moment. Could an area rug or full-room carpeting alone solve this problem, without the need for the bookshelves?

- How about putting up a few decorative sound/acoustical panels on that wall instead. How do those compare witht he bookshelves? Which is more effective?

- the other option I've been considering is covering that wall with sound-proof wallpaper, or installing cork tiles. But, I don't know how effective either sound-proof wallpaper or cork tiles are, and how it would compare with the other options.

The room has a finished textured wall. There is no way to install wallpaper directly on a textured wall, right?

I look forward to hearing your opinions and experiences, and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
4 Simple and Inexpensive Ways to Soundproof a Room

4 Simple and Inexpensive Ways to Soundproof a Room « The Quiet Site

Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM

Thank you for the link. It's very useful. But, I'm still wondering how well the particular options I mentioned in my post would work for soundproofing a noisy wall.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,565 times
If you have a sensitivity to the sound of running water, economical sound reduction measures aren't going to give you the outcome you want. Sound and vibration isolation is very expensive. That's the reality.

I'd try to reduce the noise sources if the budget is the concern.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:34 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
What's your budget?
Can you or won't you open the wall?

Putting "mass" against the wall may or maynot work- especially if there is vibration.

Opening the wall, adding off-set and staggered studs with a 3/4" standoff plus sound batt insulation will yield better results than any other method. By implementing this method you've only increased the wall thickness by 3/4"- hardly noticeable.

Even GG (GreenGlue) has its limitations due to the "mass" (drywall) being attached to both sides of the existing studs. Another method is "hat channel"; but again the total mass is still attached to the studs.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
How big a project are you up to, and how much do you want to spend? You can buy soundproof drywall at most home centers. Either install it over existing drywall, or go really big and remove your drywall, put in soundproof insulation, and then install the soundproof drywall.
You can buy both soundproof drywall and soundproof insulation and with both, you will be in silence, but it will take effort and money...
The wall behind the headboard of my master bedroom backs up to the wall our entertainment unit is placed in the living room, so I can hear the TV while in bed. I also have a fireplace on that same wall in the living room, that has two electric fans to move the hot air. Those fans are louder in the bedroom than they are in the living room.
I turn off the fireplace when I go to bed, and the fans continue to run for another 30 minutes after the FP is turn off. Drives me crazy hearing those fans blowing. Warm weather brings relief from that irritation.
I have investigated all the options for a cure. I plan to remove the drywall, insulate, and replace the drywall.
In my opinion, building a bookshelf and loading it with books would be a complete waste of time and money, it's not the way to go.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What's your budget?
Can you or won't you open the wall?

Putting "mass" against the wall may or maynot work- especially if there is vibration.

Opening the wall, adding off-set and staggered studs with a 3/4" standoff plus sound batt insulation will yield better results than any other method. By implementing this method you've only increased the wall thickness by 3/4"- hardly noticeable.

Even GG (GreenGlue) has its limitations due to the "mass" (drywall) being attached to both sides of the existing studs. Another method is "hat channel"; but again the total mass is still attached to the studs.
Well, my budget is not big. The bookshelves for example would cost around $250. But, with that I'd also be getting storage space for books and other things. I don't think I could spend let's say 250 alone on soundproofing construction.

I also can't open the wall.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
How big a project are you up to, and how much do you want to spend? You can buy soundproof drywall at most home centers. Either install it over existing drywall, or go really big and remove your drywall, put in soundproof insulation, and then install the soundproof drywall.
You can buy both soundproof drywall and soundproof insulation and with both, you will be in silence, but it will take effort and money...
The wall behind the headboard of my master bedroom backs up to the wall our entertainment unit is placed in the living room, so I can hear the TV while in bed. I also have a fireplace on that same wall in the living room, that has two electric fans to move the hot air. Those fans are louder in the bedroom than they are in the living room.
I turn off the fireplace when I go to bed, and the fans continue to run for another 30 minutes after the FP is turn off. Drives me crazy hearing those fans blowing. Warm weather brings relief from that irritation.
I have investigated all the options for a cure. I plan to remove the drywall, insulate, and replace the drywall.
In my opinion, building a bookshelf and loading it with books would be a complete waste of time and money, it's not the way to go.
Do you mind elaborating more on why you think the bookshelf would be a waste in this case? I'm interested to learn more. As far as I know, books act as good sound absorbers (maybe not?). Also, I was planning on sticking sound-absorbing foam or similar material to the back panel of the shelves. You think all this won't eliminate noise at all?

This is the easiest, economical, and best looking option I can think of how to solve this. How much would another layer of drywall on top of existing cost? And would that be more effective? If yes, how much more effective than the bookshelves, do you think? And, how thick would the layer have to be?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:39 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
"Can't open the wall"- is this a rental? You don't own?

If that's the case- just bear with it/ utilize the bookcases.

If you want the least evasive and better than the bookcases; just add a layer of 5/8""X" drywall (this is the fire rated drywall- it's denser than regular 5/8"). Attach it with GG AND VERY FEW SCREWS. Finish and paint.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 AM

497 posts, read 428,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell9 View Post
Do you mind elaborating more on why you think the bookshelf would be a waste in this case? I'm interested to learn more. As far as I know, books act as good sound absorbers (maybe not?). Also, I was planning on sticking sound-absorbing foam or similar material to the back panel of the shelves. You think all this won't eliminate noise at all?

This is the easiest, economical, and best looking option I can think of how to solve this. How much would another layer of drywall on top of existing cost? And would that be more effective? If yes, how much more effective than the bookshelves, do you think? And, how thick would the layer have to be?
My guess would be that the bookshelves are not going to do much is anything to block the sound. Unless you entirely cover the wall, the ability to block sound transmission is greatly reduced. Think about it this way: open a window just an inch and you will let most of the sound from outside in - even though that open window is only < 1% of the wall of the room. Obviously it is not as extreme with a wall, but the principle still holds. First, your bookcases are not going to cover the whole wall, and you won't entirely fill the bookcase with books, so in the end you may only end up covering 50 - 70% of the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House