Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 PM

450 posts, read 799,358 times

Advertisements

Is Goodman a good name or builders grade stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
How 'bout just JUNK!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
In truth, what gives Goodman a bad rap is their frequent substandard installs, since Goodman has a more open sales policy than most of their competitors (such as Carrier, Trane, or Lennox) who typically only sell their products to their authorized dealers. This makes Goodman more accessible to hacks, which often lead to substandard installs.

If you decide to buy a Goodman, be sure the contractor who plans to install it for you is reputable and has been in business for several years.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM

44 posts, read 93,771 times
My BIL was an HVAC technician for years and he says that Goodman gets a bad rap. They were the first company industry-wide to offer a 10 year parts AND labor warranty, and for the money you can't beat the product.

Also, in 2012 Goodman purchased Daikin Industries, a Japanese company who makes ductless A/Cs. Daikin opened a manufacturing in Houston and are now the 2nd largest HVAC manufacturer in the world after Carrier.

I live in SW Florida (also own a home in No. Va) and we purchased a Daikin A/C in December and I couldn't be happier. Trane, Lennox, Carrier, etc. no one could beat the price and I got a 12 yr parts AND labor warranty instead of a 10yr parts and 1-2 yr labor warranty offered by the big boys. As someone else here suggested, be sure to research the contractor you plan to use.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,318 times
Actually, Daikin purchased Goodman. I grew up by the original Goodman manufacturing location in Houston and currently live right by their large Goodman manufacturing/warehouse facility. They changed all of the warehouse signs to Daikin last year. Goodman also makes AC units under the Amana name. I'm sure it is a decent unit as I see them all over the place around town.

Now all I think about when I hear Goodman is John Goodman, the son of the founder, who killed that poor kid in Florida with his Bentley.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM

335 posts, read 620,344 times
First of all, I heard it was junk. Second, and more importantly, the heir to the family fortune, John Goodman, drove his car after a night of drinking and plowed into a car driven by Scott Wilson and left him to drown. Happened right around the corner from where I used to live. I have a friend whose daughter was dating Scott's roommate. Horrible, horrible tragedy. Took two trials to convict him, as the first one was thrown out due to juror misconduct. He tried to adopt his girlfriend to shield some of his assets. I will never give a penny to the company with his name. I had to replace an a/c unit in our FL rental, and I ripped up the one estimate for a Goodman a/c.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:10 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
First of all, I heard it was junk. Second, and more importantly, the heir to the family fortune, John Goodman, drove his car after a night of drinking and plowed into a car driven by Scott Wilson and left him to drown. Happened right around the corner from where I used to live. I have a friend whose daughter was dating Scott's roommate. Horrible, horrible tragedy. Took two trials to convict him, as the first one was thrown out due to juror misconduct. He tried to adopt his girlfriend to shield some of his assets. I will never give a penny to the company with his name. I had to replace an a/c unit in our FL rental, and I ripped up the one estimate for a Goodman a/c.
True, but he sold the company back in 2004 so the company has nothing to do with him except that it still has the name. I'm actually surprised they haven't changed the name yet, but I guess their market does not associate an individual's name with the product.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,124,533 times
Goodman/Amana has a poor reputation and it's well earned. Pink Jazz mentioned how they attract hacks like moths to a light and that's not by accident, it's the market they, and only they want. Landlords are a target rich environment...cut and run moonlighters dodging permits and leaving messes behind for a qualified contractor to straighten out. Short sighted customers thinking the cheap deal is the best deal. Goodman/Amana knows this mentality drives a segment of the market and they'll do the absolute minimum and cover the rest with the warranty.

The equipment design itself lacks thought. Goodman/Amana loves using cheap plastic molex connectors every chance they can. Problematic and unnecessary. I had a goodman furnace last year with a bad wiring harness due to a faulty molex connector. It took the goodman guys 3 shipments to get the correct assembly in, which is yet another goodman problem.

Bottom line, any contractor that does a nice install always slaps their company sticker on the front panel. We want to take credit and want the repeat business. I've never seen a company sticker on a goodman.

York is another brand to avoid. One warranty repair after another on those. : (

Last edited by btuhack; 04-21-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 AM

347 posts, read 1,283,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Goodman/Amana has a poor reputation and it's well earned. Pink Jazz mentioned how they attract hacks like moths to a light and that's not by accident, it's the market they, and only they want. Landlords are a target rich environment...cut and run moonlighters dodging permits and leaving messes behind for a qualified contractor to straighten out. Short sighted customers thinking the cheap deal is the best deal. Goodman/Amana knows this mentality drives a segment of the market and they'll do the absolute minimum and cover the rest with the warranty.

The equipment design itself lacks thought. Goodman/Amana loves using cheap plastic molex connectors every chance they can. Problematic and unnecessary. I had a goodman furnace last year with a bad wiring harness due to a faulty molex connector. It took the goodman guys 3 shipments to get the correct assembly in, which is yet another goodman problem.

Bottom line, any contractor that does a nice install always slaps their company sticker on the front panel. We want to take credit and want the repeat business. I've never seen a company sticker on a goodman.

York is another brand to avoid. One warranty repair after another on those. : (
I purchased a Goodman furnace 5 years ago. My HVAC installation guy put the company sticker on it.

It's in a my rental property, so I get it cleaned and checked evey year for $60 from the same company.

I paid $150 for the 10 year parts and labor warranty for peace of mind (the property is out-of-state)

So far no problems.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How 'bout just JUNK!
My Goodman heat pump now 8 years old,used 24/7 78 in summer 70 winter thermostat on auto,whether I am here or not.
We did have compressor fan go out last year,replaced free on 10 year warranty,no complaints.We live in North FL.

Last edited by DanBev; 04-22-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House