Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

When the washing machine stopped working I called our landlord. He found out that 6 plugs in pairs of two at three separate sites along the same electrical line were burnt out. He replaced them for plugs with ground fault interrupters. After two weeks everything is still working.

My questions are:
- What can cause the burnt plugs?
- Our landlord thinks that we have had wrong appliances (which we haven't as far as I know). Can this cause burnt plugs?
- Can 220V appliances cause a burnt plug?
- Why didn't the fuse box prevent the plugs?
- Is this a dangerous situation?
- Who is responsible, me or the landlord?

Hope you have answers to my questions!
Thanks!
Alexandra

Last edited by Alex333berg; 07-11-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 09:50 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
That would be sites, not "cites."

- Burnt plugs are typically caused by too heavy an electric load, such as oversized space heater, marijuana grow lights, etc.
- Maybe
- plugged into a standard wall socket somehow, yes.
- horrible English, but fuse or breaker could be too large for circuit.
- Depends. Overheating is never good.
- Both. You have to verify your appliances are correct and safe. Landlord is responsible for wiring *provided you don't overload the available circuits*

Old 07-11-2015, 10:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Electrical outlets wear out with use and time. Especially rentals with people moving in/out. The more times something is plugged-in/unplugged, the more wear on the outlet.

The outlets in rentals cost 50 cents each...They make "commercial grade outlets for $3.00 each - you get what you pay for - The commercial grade outlets can have things plugged in/unplugged a LOT more times.

When an outlet gets worn out, the "fit" is loose - that causes heat - the outlet burns. Also high amperage appliances like a space heater plugged into these outlets will cause them to burn quicker.

This is "normal wear and tear" for a rental.

Basically if you have to "giggle" the plug in an outlet to get it to work, the outlet needs replacing.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
"Basically if you have to "giggle" the plug in an outlet to get it to work, the outlet needs replacing."

Gotta ask - How the H do you make a plug giggle?

"Kootchie kootchie Koo, are woo a cute pwuggie? Who's a cute pwuggie?"

Old 07-11-2015, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,142 times
Still wandering why the breaker didn't protect the plugs?
I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect, Harry chickpea. I moved to America two years ago and it's not my first language.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:07 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex333berg View Post
I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect, Harry chickpea. I moved to America two years ago and it's not my first language.
Don't sweat it, I think you meant jiggle (to wiggle back and forth) I don't think Harry meant any harm, I even smiled with his comment

I believe the breaker wouldn't protect against this because there isn't a short causing an excessive current flow just arcing which causes heat at the normal current level

Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Get a electrician or some who know house wiring to look at it. Sounds like the plugs are in on same line and one is bad causing those down line to fail most likely. No short as of now;so no breaker tripped. If all on same line fail could even be a bad breaker.get it fixed as electrical is most common cause of fires ;so nothing to mess with if you do not know what your doing.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex333berg View Post
Breaker protects against overcurrent.. Not heat.

In theory, the AFCI breakers mentioned in the other topic here would have tripped.. But a standard breaker would not.

20A, which is probably what the breaker is.. You can generate enough heat to melt a plug well below that.

If you really want to have some fun.. Take 2 nails, stick one in each end of a pickle, split a cord so that hot goes to one nail, neutral to the other.. Plug it in.

Won't trip the breaker.. Will trip your mind after 15 seconds or so. And, you can set it up by asking people if they want to see your pickle glow.

I go with the person who said it was probably wear on the outlets.. Especially since it's a rental. Probably been like that for quite a while.

Poor installation can cause it as well.. And, seeing as your landlord did it himself.. there might be a good chance of that. You don't torque down the wires properly on the outlet.. It burns from the outside in.. If it's worn out, normally burns from inside out.

Dangerous? Absolutely. Would it have started a fire? unlikely, but it COULD have.. Which is the dangerous part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House