Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times

Advertisements

Is the general agreement that smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years? And batteries should be replaced every year? What about carbon monoxide detectors? Are they on the same schedule? Mine are all about 13 years old. Will most electricians be happy to do the replacement work for you? I have a company I'm pretty happy with.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
The general rule is you replace everything when it's 10 years old, regardless if battery only or hardwired. Some people say replace the batteries whenever you change to and from DST. Others say change batteries once a year. Since my detectors are hardwired, I change all the batteries when the first one starts chirping. Not recommended, but it's what I do. Since it's time to replace all your detectors, I would recommend getting dual sensor detectors where you do not have the combination smoke/CO detectors. Dual sensor detectors use two different technologies that detect smoldering fires and flash fires.

In a lot of areas, the fire department will install or replace detectors. Check with yours to see if they do.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
CO detectors, I believe, are supposed to be replaced after 5 or 7 years.

The latest one I got has an internal counter/clock in it where it starts doing the 'chirp' after 5 or 7 years telling you it needs to be replaced. Regardless of whether it has good batteries or not.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
I never heard of replacing the smoke detector every 10 yrs. Mine are hardwired.

I moved into my current house and within a month, all the hardwired CO detectors started chirping. I had no idea what it was, but after searching online, it wass exactly what Labonte18 said... they have an internal timer that starts the chirp at year 7. There is nothing you can do to turn off the chirp. All you can do is throw it away.

If you get the same make/model, all you have to do is twist it off and pull apart the wire connection. Then reverse the steps to put the new one in. Unless you have a really high ceiling, should be fairly simple.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I never heard of replacing the smoke detector every 10 yrs. Mine are hardwired.

I moved into my current house and within a month, all the hardwired CO detectors started chirping. I had no idea what it was, but after searching online, it wass exactly what Labonte18 said... they have an internal timer that starts the chirp at year 7. There is nothing you can do to turn off the chirp. All you can do is throw it away.

If you get the same make/model, all you have to do is twist it off and pull apart the wire connection. Then reverse the steps to put the new one in. Unless you have a really high ceiling, should be fairly simple.
10 years is pretty much the universally accepted replacement interval. I'm not aware of any internal timer that has detectors chirping away at seven years. All of mine have made it to 10 years with no problem.

As for replacing, be aware there are several different types of connectors. It would be advisable to take one of the old detectors to the store with you to make sure they match. Otherwise, You'll have to also swap out connectors, which isn't too terribly difficult. But you will have to turn off the circuit breaker.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:22 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
My CO2 detector started chirping after 15/16 yrs. - not sure when I got the hard-wired smoke detectors put in (I have to investigate that) - but I don't change the batteries for them when the time changes, they did (well, one did) start chirping at 3 a.m. (of course) after many yrs. so I replaced the batteries in them all. (silly req. IMO that that have to be in each b/r as well as hall, etc. when you have a Cape Cod that only has a small upstairs w/t b/r's at ends upstairs and have to have 3) - on that note, I can't find a plug-in only CO2 detector anymore.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
We recommend detectors to be replaced at 10 year intervals maximum residential. If you don't plan on replacing, then at least get a can of computer air and if you can service the detector by cleaning out the optical chamber. If it has a movable chamber. Some do some don't. I do commercial fire systems also and detectors do go bad. Those are more expensive and we replace as they go bad. I service mine every year. Replace every 5.

If the chamber is removable pop it off and wash the dust that settled in the chamber. Let it dry and reinstall. Don't touch the optical eye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House