Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:54 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my handyman remarked that there are new codes for water heaters in the county and they have to be 50 gallons! (Probably for new water heaters---I'm sure old ones are grandfathered in.) He said it was so people didn't run out of hot water! Why in the world would the government care if someone ran out of hot water? It's not like it's going to be a public health hazard! I can see them getting involved with energy efficient aspects or something relating to safety, but hot water tank capacity? This doesn't make sense to me. I tried to look up the county codes and never saw anything about capacity. I only have the space and as one person who doesn't shower everyday (yeah, I know. I've always on been in the daily shower club, but no more.) and washes laundry often in cold water I don't need 50 gallons. 40 does me just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:58 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Ask for the code. Tell him you want to look it up.

And then call someone who isn't going to lie and rip you off.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:05 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Unless it's proportional to dwelling size — and I can see a McMansion being required to have adequate hot water capacity for five bathrooms — this sounds like BS or a misunderstanding of the code to me.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:06 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Also, a 50 gallon electric water heater is equivalent to a 40 gallon gas water heater in terms of hot water output.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Also, a 50 gallon electric water heater is equivalent to a 40 gallon gas water heater in terms of hot water output.
In my last condo in FL I had a 40-gallon electric. That was all that could fit. It was a 2/2.5, but I don’t know that anyone would be running enough water to require 50 gallons. There must be some sort of size considerations. I don’t know how they would even expect a 50 gallon to fit in a smaller condo/townhome.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Thanks for your replies. In all fairness to the handyman, he wasn't trying to convince me that I needed a new one---just remarking about it. As you said, Ramen, I live in a smaller condo that has a built-in compartment in the garage for a water heater and 50 wouldn't fit.

Many of my 14 year old appliances are starting to go and I've been surprised how some are being made larger than they used to be (like washers, with the theory that people will do bigger and therefore less loads). I was wondering if water heaters were falling in this category---that people always equate "better" with newer and bigger.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Glad I can still do all that stuff myself. First rule of handyman fixes, dont ask permission of government for stupid simple remove and replace stuff that goes bad with age and use. If asked, its always been like that. Now if you are putting an addition onto house or something then of course you need a permit. To replace a water heater, I dont think so though sure some municipalities will try to make a $300 water heater replacement into a $3000 one plus up your property value in process.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Uh, no.

All water heaters deliver the same amount of water, yes. The larger capacity allows them to deliver fully heated water, with no temperature drops, to more taps and for longer at a time.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:46 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Uh, no.

All water heaters deliver the same amount of water, yes. The larger capacity allows them to deliver fully heated water, with no temperature drops, to more taps and for longer at a time.
Actually, gas water heaters have a higher First Hour Rating (FHR) than electric, which is why in terms of hot water output the comparison is valid when the water heater is actually being used, since they recover faster.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Actually, gas water heaters have a higher First Hour Rating (FHR) than electric, which is why in terms of hot water output the comparison is valid when the water heater is actually being used, since they recover faster.
Nothing about this was gas-v-electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House