Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

Be very careful what chemicals you use. You have dogs and they could either be poisoned, get sick, or get a contact dermatitis from anything that kills bugs. If you use a fogger, spray, or powder in the house be sure to vacuum and/or mop thoroughly afterward. The fleas and ticks are easily dealt with by using Frontline. Please do not do a mass spraying outside- anything that kills fleas and ticks will also kill the good bugs that you need in the yard- and again, like with the chemicals used inside, your dog can get sick from the chemicals used.

As other posters have mentioned, deal with the carpenter ants, vacuum to get the other bugs up, and realize that you bought a house in the country; you are going to have bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:20 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
carpenter ants can do major damage, just like termites, chew right through the wood
Just to clarify....
they do NOT eat through wood like termites do.
They burrow through wood that is already damaged.... damp/decayed/other.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:34 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times
When we bought our house in 2010, we brought a nasty memento from our old apartment building with us. Roaches.

I was just horrified.

We lived in our old apartment for fourteen years and never saw a roach until just before we moved. I don't know how those buggers came to live in that building, but they did.

We had to hire an exterminator to get rid of them. He used very pet-friendly strips in our house, as we have pet birds.

The strips worked very well, and we haven't had a problem since. Birds were not affected at all.

Outdoor spiders don't bother me as I figure they are food for the wild birds, but DH doesn't like the mess they make with their webs over our plants and flowers. He sprays them with a mixture of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It's very effective.

We have an ants nest near one of the rock gardens in the front of our property. They are those annoying small ants, you know the ones that can gain indoor access and crawl all over your dog or cat's food dish? We boil a kettle full of scalding hot water and douse the nest a few times.

We've seen the odd carpenter ant, but we haven't seen too many of them. I just stomped on a Queen carpenter ant the other morning.

Other than that, we just have the regular pesky insects such as house flies, mosquitoes and wasps.

Wasps won't be around for a while, anyway.

Our skeeters are already in action, as we had such a mild winter and now are into summer. I've already been scratching a bite on my leg.

When our house was being renovated, once part of the roof was torn off, a couple of bats flew out!

One of them fluttered to the ground, and one of the workers was horrified. "Kill it!" he yelled. A tiny bat, of all things, a bat who eats how many tons of mosquitoes and other flying pests a day? Kill it, indeed. I made him back away from the bat, and the bat flew off across the street to the river area.

I've seen mice and groundhogs around here, too.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Small update:

Called a couple pest control companies and found out we have mice, oriental cockroaches, carpenter ants, and centipedes. Have one guy coming out tomorrow to do the treatment so we will see how it goes. My wife is really paranoid about spraying since she is pregnant and we have our two dogs too. However, the four companies I called all stressed how their "chemicals" were all entirely safe once dry for pets, babies, pregnant women, etc. Some companies said they used "organic" products but I read some organic pesticides are more dangerous than synthetics. I was also surprised at the pricing. It ranged $25 to $80 per month between the four companies....

Anyway, we'll see how the treatment goes tomorrow and what they do and recommend.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I agree to call a pest control company and have your house treated. The other adivice about sealing entry points is good. I also agree that this time of year is bad for bug movement into a house. Fall can be bad too.

I don't mind the occasional spider, but I hate, hate, hate roaches.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
i really would like to know how to get rid of stinkbugs they are everywhere m*******. yah we had a snake in are yard and now bees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House