Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 04:38 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times

Advertisements

OK, folks, running the weird saga of the sprinkler system by y'all and seeing if anybody has any thoughts on this:

Basically, the pipe that attaches the sprinkler system to my house had cracked. Should have been easy to replace, but the sprinkler system company seems to have an issue of they can't match the size of the cracked pipe to anything--they said it's neither 3/8ths, 3/4ths, or 1/2. And they're claiming the pipe in my house (built in 2001, mind) is also an off-size they can't figure out (they said they tried coupling the pipes together, but were still getting a leak, so they abandoned that idea.)

Now, I find it hard to believe a newer house would have off-sized pipes in it, nor does it make sense that somebody would install a sprinkler system with off-size pipes (everything I've researched indicates you'd have to order such things special and they're an arm and a leg.) If push comes to shove, my yards aren't big, I'll kill the whole damn thing and just get some extra garden hoses and put wavers on 'em and water that way, but this just strikes me as very very strange. Anybody ever run into something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 06:02 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Is the pipe black? If so, could by poly and it has oddball sizes. Fittings can be found for poly but it's generally at fewer stores and harder to find.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Black poly can be heated to conform to fittings. A combo of a hose clamp and heating can make it fit most anything. With PVC, snip a section and head to a big box store or plumbing supply place.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
IF it's gray plastic it could be Schedule 40 or 80.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
Is the broken pipe flexible or is it copper.

If it is copper and the sprinkler tech can't get the right size, it could be that the copper pipe froze with water in it and expanded, so nothing will fit on it. If that is the case, the technician will have to cut the pipe past the expanded portion to make the repair.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Sounds like OP needs to find someone who is knowledgeable about plumbing and hooking up sprinkler systems.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM

The old one wasn't copper, but it was pretty old and beat up looking. I did call another sprinkler company and explained the situation and the guy immediately said, "I've run into this before. Sounds like you need a 5/8ths copper." He did advise he can't be sure until he sees my setup, but he's going to come by and take a look to confirm.

I have to admit, I am wondering about the guy from the first company. There were a few things about him that seemed a bit....off (turned off my water regulator and another guy from his company had to be called out to turn it back on, left his tools at my house and had to be called back to get them, and I brought up the possibility of could the pipes have expanded and he seemed....vague...as to whether or not that would be the problem--you'd think he'd know, wouldn't you?) His boss actually called me and said they weren't going to charge me for any of the hours he put in, and considering how long he'd been wandering around....that kinda makes me wonder. And for this second company to be so sure of what the issue might be makes me wonder if the first guy is incompetent. (But if that's the case, I wonder why his boss didn't send somebody else out to see what was going on.)

Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
IF it's gray plastic it could be Schedule 40 or 80.
I think that's what it was.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:07 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
White PVC is SCH40, SCH80 is gray- why on earth would anyone use that for an irrigation system? Or even for supply system in a house?

A lot of irrigation companies use CL125 (a max press rating of 125psi/ plenty for a residential irrigation system); it's cheap.

The one thing that's uncommon among all common sizes- the fittings! Know the type of pipe; know the fittings it requires. Dig out enough of the pipe and find the markings printed on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House