Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I find it funny that people think you can just chunk a floor mount toilet for a wall mount- HA!
Maybe not "just" but isn't a rocket science and pretty common in other countries. Only because this type of toilet is not popular here, doesn't mean having one isn't doable. Those toilets are sold here, locally, including all the necessary accessories. Of course some modifications are needed, like removing a drywall and replacing it with thicker wall to support the tank and carrier system. But there are creative ways to deal with this problem if you really wish to make the change, and easier during a complete renovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
My elderly mother lives with me. Her doctor suggested I get her a "comfort height" toilet. I checked them out and decided to replace both of the ones in my house.

I was shocked at the price variations from various companies but was able to get some nice features on a reasonably priced model. I chose the Kohler Cimarron model for several reasons: conserves water, very strong flushing mechanism, no rubber flapper to be leaking, and a finish on the inside that resists bacteria build-up. The design is compact and sleek so cleaning the outside is easier than my old toilets.

It's also quieter and has a mechanism on the lid that closes it silently. All you have to do is touch the lid and it closes itself like magic. The list price on Kohler's website is $406 but I paid around $200 each at Lowe's. I had my regular plumber install it and he said he thinks the model is a good value. It certainly has improved my housekeeping duties.

3609| Cimarron Comfort Height 2-Piece Elongated 1.28-GPF Toilet | KOHLER

Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I agree, OP! What's with all the curves and nooks and crannies. And the inside-the-bowl lip you can never get up under and clean where it gets stained from hard water, etc.

The easiest answer is - hire someone else to clean it.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
the toilet in that picture looks kind of tall. I prefer short toilets where you have ample ability to bend your knees and "squat" .. I never used a really tall toilet until I bought this house where they installed tall ones so the elderly people who lived here could get out of them more easily.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I wonder if the kind that attach to the wall, with no base, would be better? Certainly would be easier to clean the floor around it."

Wall hung toilets and "saluting" seats are sometimes used in commercial restrooms. They have their own set of problems. Typically, the underside of the toilet gets really grotty and overtopping can run back along the wall. There are also support and seal issues.

If you want something easy to clean, this style is either mop down or hose down:

UK centre goes potty for Middle East toilets | ConstructionWeekOnline.com

Having friends from the middle east in the UAE and being wealthy engineers they don't get our sit down toilets and how we are hygienic by swiping ourselves with toilet paper !

They hose themselves down which is like using a bidet.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I wonder if the kind that attach to the wall, with no base, would be better? Certainly would be easier to clean the floor around it."

Wall hung toilets and "saluting" seats are sometimes used in commercial restrooms. They have their own set of problems. Typically, the underside of the toilet gets really grotty and overtopping can run back along the wall. There are also support and seal issues.

If you want something easy to clean, this style is either mop down or hose down:

UK centre goes potty for Middle East toilets | ConstructionWeekOnline.com
Oh my gosh....who could squat long enough to do their business in that? LOL

I see what you're saying about the problems with the wall mounts. I wondered about the support, if that could be an issue.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I chose the Kohler Cimarron model
Argh, that still has those little "ledges" on the bottom where the floor bolts are...that catches a lot of dirt and hair and the bolt covers make it harder to wipe stuff off.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The easiest answer is - hire someone else to clean it.
I wish! Not on my budget....

Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
It is 5 minutes with a good cleaner and rag so I am very confused about how much easier it could possibly be.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Get a one piece toilet like this-
https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...nAcxjWB-CVM%3A

Good selection and price range.
Yeah, now that looks like a pretty good solution. I like this one:

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House