Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times

Advertisements

I need to touch up and repaint some areas of my house. Nothing major nor big, just touchups. It is going to be put on drywall + moldings inside the house. I have cans of paint but will barely use any of it. How do I store paint the for future long-term usage? I want to be able to reuse the same paint in like 5 years for more touchups

Not sure if it matters, but the paint is Sherwin-Williams Kwal paint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 06:05 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I used to keep extra small amounts of paint in mason jars. The secret was to use plastic wrap to keep the paint from touching the metal lid.

However, if you don't keep it away from extreme temperatures it'll spoil anyway.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I used to keep extra small amounts of paint in mason jars. The secret was to use plastic wrap to keep the paint from touching the metal lid.

However, if you don't keep it away from extreme temperatures it'll spoil anyway.
Can I not keep it in the can it is originally in?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I have had some success in bringing old paint back to life with paint conditioners. Since I only use Behr paint from Home Depot, it's nice to know that if they EVER sold it, they have the formula to make up a fresh batch. I did that recently and it was a perfect match though they had stopped selling it years ago.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Paint oxidizes, so you want to keep it in the Smallest container possible. Baring that, cover it with cling film, right on the surface. You also want to keep it from freezing (and probably 100+ degree temps too), so in the house.

Regardless, paint doesn't keep for very long in the grand scheme. Probably should have bought pints instead of gallons (or maybe you did?)

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Mr Peanut

I find these containers to work well.

Eat the peanuts first.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Tin cans will rust and this ruins the paint. I prefer glass jars for small amounts.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I've kept partially full (empty?) cans for years in a pantry closet. Stirred up again they're fine for touchup. When painting a room originally, I always put the lid back on tightly every time it's open to fill the roller pan or plastic bucket if I'm brushing.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
What you want to achieve is, the least amount of air in the container you are storing the paint in. Anyone here make jam, or jelly? Same idea, the paraffin is there to void the air to insure longevity of the product. The more air, the shorter the shelf life.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I agree that having a minimal headspace (the air gap between the surface of the paint and the lid of the container) will contribute to paint longevity. That said, we tend to buy a lot of paint in 5gallon plastic buckets (we only buy paint when its on sale, usually because someone else had an "oops". Likely because it's a plastic container, we've never had an issue stirring the paint up YEARS later, and it being fine. In fact I just painted a bathroom with paint we moved down here from our previous house - 9 years ago. The 5 gallon was about half full, and the paint went on and cured beautifully. So I think the type of container is even more important perhaps than how full the container is.

A lot of the new paint cans have a plastic film liner in them - I'm certain that helps with longevity.

For "touchups" we bought a Rubbermaid product years ago that was the "paint buddy". Small Tupperware like tube with a tiny 1" roller on the end. The paint in the tube stayed fresh, and you could use for a quick touch up. Unfortunately they didn't sell well and they ended the product. We bought about 6 of them (clearanced out) and so for most of our house we can just grab the appropriate paint buddy to touch up a small nail or screw hole or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House