Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,524,112 times

Advertisements

So, I am highly considering placing my condo on the market to buy a single family home. Thankfully, my Dad will help me update my unit so I can get top dollar. My idea is to paint the unit, put in laminate flooring in the kitchen/ half bath (I am on a slab), gut the 80s half bath and update with a cool vanity, mirror, lighting fixture and toilet. The bathroom will be completely new which I feel will really attract buyers. I also intend to add a new kitchen faucet and possibly remove the light box in there as well. Besides painting I ever never done a lot of these renos before. I hope to attend a how-to class at a home improvement store to learn more about laying laminate. If anyone has done this or has suggestions about any of this I would appreciate hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,500,105 times
Of course I have no idea what your condo looks like inside or out. From the outside add some potted flowers, maybe paint your front door, make sure the front porch area is swept and looks good. Inside when you paint do not paint bright color, neutral colors are best. You can change cabinet hardware to update it if needed, light fixtures updated if needed, crown molding or new floor molding, windows replaced if needed, popcorn ceiling gone if you have that, matching updated appliances, air filter changed on heater if you have one, any burnt out bulbs replaced, everything very clean of course, no clutter or family photos in rooms, no pets there when showing place, and carpeting cleaned if you have carpeting. Good luck selling!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 PM

376 posts, read 1,506,884 times
If you can afford tile vs. laminate I would highly recommend and keep your paint colors neutral. I always recommend if the rainy season is done, get your windows professional cleaned and screens so they sparkle. Also if you are serious about selling, start packing and remove the things you know you won't use for a while, you will be surprised how much this will open up your house.
If you have a new home community near you, pop in and see how they are staged for ideas that won't cost you a lot or ask a local Realtor to pop in and give some ideas.

Best of luck.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Stay away from laminate! Generally, most people look at laminate as a turn-off. Cheap!
If you're destined for a wood floor- go with pre-finished engineered wood flooring. It glues directly to the slab. Yes, its more $$ initially- but it will also get you more $$ in your offers.
Tile the 1/2 bath- marble, or travertine. Neutral colors.
Everything else you mentioned are good ideas.
Good Luck-

Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM

652 posts, read 2,665,337 times
I totally agree with the poster about staying away from laminate if possible.

another thing to consider is the trim. If you have wood trim, use some old english to spruce it up if they are painted put on a new coat. When I sold my home there was a ton of compliments about the trim. I had a 30 yr old home with the majority of the trim being original and many people thought it was new. That will help to make people think you really took pride in keeping up your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House