Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

I am a shower person and have not had a tub soak for at least 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
My husband uses it occasionally as he finds it relaxing. I buy him bath salts and fun stuff for it and light candles for him.
I hate cleaning the darned thing afterward though!

Personally, I'd prefer a big shower in its place.

We lived in a house that had a huge double shower instead of a shower/soaker tub combo. It was AWESOME.
And it was so easy to bathe our huge dogs in it. Just threw some towels on the floor so they wouldn't slip, and walked them right in there.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
We have a big Jacuzzi tub and I use it several times a week, on average. I love it. Not having at least a large soaking / garden tub in a house would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Twice this past week. Once to soak my dehydrator trays after making beef jerky. Yesterday I used it to wash 2 rugs.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
My wife uses a soaker tub 2-3 times a month. I use one 2-3 times every ten years.

The walk-in shower with dual shower heads gets used every day.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
One of the cats likes to sleep in it.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Mine fits 2 large litter boxes. A soaker tub, especially jetted is now a dealbreaker for me, too much wasted space, and wasted water. Never used.....

A claw foot tub though, a huge plus, and a walk in shower (no sliding doors).

Need both a regular tub, and a shower. Tub used to soak once a month maybe? Otherwise used to wash dogs, and sweaters.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
In ten years ours has been used maybe a dozen times.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My husband is definitely a shower guy (not me) and even with that in mind, he uses the soaker tub, more often in the spring and summer, anytime he feels sore and wants to soak in some nice hot water with bath salts and/or essential oils and it's too warm to go outside and get in the hot tub.

We recently remodeled our bathroom and got rid of the jets - UGH, they freaked me out. But guess what I found out? I found out that the new jetted tubs are a different design so supposedly the jets don't have water just sitting in them getting moldy. Still...I just wanted a plain soaker tub. I always hated those jets.

I don't understand for the life of me why some people consider it so difficult to clean a tub. I mean, aren't you also cleaning your shower? To me one isn't more difficult to clean than the other, unless you're only getting in the tub when you're filthy, or using some sort of bathing product that leaves a serious sort of residue.

I clean the tub of soap residue while I'm sitting in it as soon as I "pull the plug." It's not difficult. About once a month I fill it up with hot water and pour in some bleach or vinegar and baking soda and let it sit, but that's only because I use that tub every single day of my life and I just like a squeaky clean feeling to it - it doesn't LOOK dirty because I wipe it out every time I use it, just like my husband wipes down the shower every time he uses it.

But here's the deal - some people are shower people and some are bath people. It is what it is and neither is more correct or incorrect than the other. It's not a moral issue!

But I think it's pretty clear that for RESALE it's best to have at least one bathtub available downstairs. Same with a comfortable shower. Don't unnecessarily limit your options. Now, if you're not concerned about resale then for heaven's sake have what you want and don't even consider what others who don't live there prefer.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I don't do showers unless I'm somewhere that only has a shower. Love the tub - so relaxing. I don't want to do my hair each time I bathe and it isn't healthy for your hair to wash it every day - if you shower you have to. This would be a deal breaker when buying a house - must have a tub off the master BR - not down the hall.
I never wash my hair when I shower. I just don't stand directly under the shower, so my hair doesn't get wet, but the rest of me does. I wash my hair in the kitchen sink - don't get soap/water in my eyes and ears that way.

I don't like tubs - there is something about steaming open my pores and then sitting in the ick that makes baths very unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House