Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times

Advertisements

I live in a cottage built in 1954 by some college students. It's been added on to twice. The original house is only about 22 x 20 and is mostly floored in raggedy old hardwood. Big gaps, knots that look like cockroaches, etc. I have to vacuum out the cracks. I'm thinking of putting down new hardwood but I'm wondering about the slope of the floor. It's a pretty serious slope. For example, my TV cabinet has a half inch board under one side to make the TV level. The total drop from one side of the house to the other might be 3 inches.

I figure the options are
a) have the house jacked up
b) have the floor leveled. It's sort of like building a ramp
c) just put down some inexpensive hardwood for me to enjoy and not worry about the consequences.

The thing is, this house is probably going to be a tear-down. I don't know how much longer I'll live here. If I decide to stay I might want to do more than just the floor. I might even consider tearing it down myself and rebuilding. I don't have a timeline, unfortunately, other than I'll be here for at least 1.5 more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
How about sheet vinyl?

Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I live in a cottage built in 1954 by some college students. It's been added on to twice. T
he original house is only about 22 x 20 and is mostly floored in raggedy old hardwood.
Big gaps, knots that look like cockroaches, etc.

I have to vacuum out the cracks. I'm thinking of putting down new hardwood
but I'm wondering about the slope of the floor. It's a pretty serious slope.

a) have the house jacked up...
If the house needs jacking (as it appears to) do that regardless of flooring choice.

Quote:
The thing is, this house is probably going to be a tear-down.
I don't know how much longer I'll live here.
I don't have a timeline, unfortunately, other than I'll be here for at least 1.5 more years.
Another vote for vinyl sheet but bought from a Habitat store. CHEAP.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,226 times
If it's that far out, wouldn't drop one cent til I knew why.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
I'd probably not put any money into fixing it up and would tear it down.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:41 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
Where are located, what's the soil composition, any drainage issues, and what type of foundation do you have?

We recently had 36 push-piers (37ft) and 6 helical piers installed on our 1952 house. The structure suffered drops up to 2.5" inches due to severe flooding in 1996 and a series of droughts in southern California. The house sits about 8 feet above street level as it's on tiered grade. We spent about $60K for the piering, leveling, repouring of exterior concrete, and repair to the outside deck. It's been 2 years since the work was done and the house has been stabilized. We're ready to move forward with other renovations now that the structure is sound. The previous owners did remodel work on a crooked structure and so it took me several days to adjust the door hinges and trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House