Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Our old house had a VERY large basement (1600 sq feet). We had a bar area with several arcade games, dart boards and air hockey table. There was a storage room, bathroom, tv area and kids play area.

Our new home has a basement half the size. We have a tv area and a kids play area on one side and on the other side we have a pub table and a wine cabinet.

It's your space. Put down there what you want. If you like to play pool and entertain then I suggest putting down a pool table with lighting, cue stick holder on wall, etc. Since you don't drink add a small fridge of water and pop. Put a pub table for your friends to sit at while playing pool. Add a couch and TV with stereo. Sounds good to me It's a nice entertainment area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Your own personal Movie Theatre.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
A very comfy couch and a nice home theater on one side, and a table on the other side for games. Actually it's a whole antique dining room set that was upstairs and went down stairs when John took the antique dining room set he grew up with.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Could be a neat guest room, that you can double for a movie room.
That surround sound would have been nice for that.

Does your house have a bathroom on that level??
Maybe a nice Airbnb space if so ??

Old 03-12-2017, 11:05 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Old 03-12-2017, 12:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
My equivalent room is not in my basement, but at the back of my house. It contains built-in and free-standing bookcases and books - lots of books - a piano and other musical instruments, a wood-burning fireplace, a television, a hide-a-bed couch, a computer desk and chair, various other chairs, a couple of footstools, side tables, collectibles, some of which are rather large, a cat basket, a cat (most of the time) and cat toys, a corner cupboard filled with extra china and glassware, a pie safe with more of the same plus extra cookware, and various other odds and ends.

Lamps. Pictures on the walls. A couple of quilts thrown over couch and chair backs. Throw pillows on upholstered furniture. Area rugs. An old stereo radio/record player/tape deck and speakers. A CD player. An old variable speed record player. Records. CDs. Tapes. Magazines. A disorganized rock collection. A couple of what-not shelves hung on the walls to accommodate small collections.

It's a very full room. I envy your problem, or at least, your empty space.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
I would leave it empty until you need it for something. It sounds like you have enough space upstairs and are just looking to fill it with something. You never know, you might pick up a hobby that needs space.

Our last rec room was empty most of the time. We used it for project space. Painted furniture, stained furniture, stored furniture down there. We did a couple of other project down there, when we needed a large cleared space to spread things out. One winter DD had a bouncy house down there.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:30 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I had a walk in wet bar with ice maker, nice lighting, leather arm rest and bar stools. This took up most of the room between the window and the fireplace. I had all the plumbing removed, with some mirrors and wine racks remaining. Replaced it with the Wurlitzer. For perspective the TV is 70”, surround has 9 speakers and a sub.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
If I had a giant basement I would have:
-Air hockey table
-Skee ball
-Video game area for my husband
-Bar

Old 03-12-2017, 02:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
People still have rec rooms?

I would paint that ugly brick, get a new fireplace cover, put a flat screen tv over it, and install a sectional sofa.

I'd also put a bar in the corner.

You may not drink but your guests might.

Also, when you go to resell it, it will appeal more to families.

Since you don't want a pool table (that would be my choice), I certainly wouldn't go to the expense and hassle of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House