Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Would you be OK with just moving the nest to someplace close by? Like maybe a bush? (If you're not comfortable with that, I get it...that way, you're just getting the nest out of your way. Most likely, the bird will find it's nest, and everyone will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Would you be OK with just moving the nest to someplace close by? Like maybe a bush? (If you're not comfortable with that, I get it...that way, you're just getting the nest out of your way. Most likely, the bird will find it's nest, and everyone will be happy.

NO. Many birds will not return to a nest that has been touched by humans.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
NO. Many birds will not return to a nest that has been touched by humans.

I think that is a myth.
Birds are not as finicky as people think. We had a nest in a truck bumper and drove to the beach and back before we realized it. Then we removed the nest with eggs in it , placed the nest in a protected area in a bucket near where the truck had been and mom took care of the nest and the baby birds did fine.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don't understand why anyone would object to having a birds nest over their front door? So maybe for a few months you need to be careful not to upset the birds. Most people would enjoy this, so I don't get it.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:23 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks in advance...
So...I've noticed..... there's a bird's nest right over my front door on the brick half-circle over the door.

What to do?.....I'm no animal lover -- or hater really....but I'm not going to let this thing stay there forever. My neighbor said a nest was up there once before...last year...that he got rid of.

Some posts on sites, as I've looked up what to do, say leave it alone until any eggs hatch. One post said song birds have "a short nesting season" so leave alone until that's over. But how long will that be?

I don't want to take a broom to it, but like I said....I'm not going to 'do nothing" ...unless I know how much time we're talking about.

I don't even know if any eggs are in there yet.

One guy posted on a site that he was attacked by birds as he came out his front door because of a nest over the door. He was told to use his back door. I'm not using another door for fear of bird attack. But I also don't want to "incite" any momma bird.

I'm collecting info on any products I can use to "discourage" and further nest building.

Any advice??
My first thought here is " IS there any eggs in that nest".. then said IF empty remove it. But if eggs there.. try and put into a fairly safe area away from predators!

I do understand over a doorway can be unsightly and possibly debris from nest could damage door areas. But pre-emptive removal or relocation in the case of eggs is optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I think that is a myth.
Birds are not as finicky as people think. We had a nest in a truck bumper and drove to the beach and back before we realized it. Then we removed the nest with eggs in it , placed the nest in a protected area in a bucket near where the truck had been and mom took care of the nest and the baby birds did fine.
Yes!! Exactly is how I would deal with it. Glad it turned out well for the "Feathered" friends!!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't understand why anyone would object to having a birds nest over their front door? So maybe for a few months you need to be careful not to upset the birds. Most people would enjoy this, so I don't get it.
Well, my new bird nest isn't over the front door, but it's to the side of my porch. Underneath it is a big (and growing) pile of bird crap. And feathers. Pretty nasty. So that's one reason.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I think that is a myth.
All I know is that from my research, it's not recommended to try to move a nest:
Quote:
Moving Nests in Undesirable Locations
Relocating an active nest is not an option. Birds do not possess the power of reason, if the nest disappears the parents will not go searching for it. It is also against both federal and state law to disturb the nest of a native species. The only exception would be nests of the non-native house sparrow, pigeon, and European starling. It’s best to wait until fall or winter to remove nests and exclude birds from buildings.
Nests In & On Buildings

Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, my new bird nest isn't over the front door, but it's to the side of my porch. Underneath it is a big (and growing) pile of bird crap. And feathers. Pretty nasty. So that's one reason.
I get why you don't like it. My birds' nest was to the side also; however, the mom/pop must have rested on the eave directly in front of the door while they were in the process of building and tending the nest. They pooped right in front of my front door as well as to the side of my porch. Those little specks of black can be swept off when they're dry, but that white stuff has to be washed off with warm water and scrubbed with a stiff brush. That's not something I want to do on a daily basis.

I think mine were barn swallows. Their nests were a combination of mud and grass/straw which just added to the mess. Nobody wants that stuff tracked into their house.

Just deal with it for now but catch them early next year to make sure that they don't get a start on a new nest next year. They'll go elsewhere and be just as happy.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Because nobody wants to be pecked by birds or having their droppings fall on them every time they want to leave or entire their residence. WTF?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I get why you don't like it. My birds' nest was to the side also; however, the mom/pop must have rested on the eave directly in front of the door while they were in the process of building and tending the nest. They pooped right in front of my front door as well as to the side of my porch. Those little specks of black can be swept off when they're dry, but that white stuff has to be washed off with warm water and scrubbed with a stiff brush. That's not something I want to do on a daily basis.

I think mine were barn swallows. Their nests were a combination of mud and grass/straw which just added to the mess. Nobody wants that stuff tracked into their house.

Just deal with it for now but catch them early next year to make sure that they don't get a start on a new nest next year. They'll go elsewhere and be just as happy.
I totally agree and I think mine are some sort of swallow too - their nests are super messy and appear to include mud as a main ingredient. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House