Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:44 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
It's not generally known that "Fallingwater" refers not to the site, but to the roof leaks inseparable from any Frank Lloyd Wright design.
An architect told me this anecdote many years ago...

At the first dinner party in his new weekend home, Edgar Kaufmann sat down at the head of his dining table and immediately felt a drop of water strike the top of his head. He asked his butler to bring the telephone, and he phoned Frank Lloyd Wright. "Mr. Wright, water is leaking from your roof at Fallingwater, right onto my head in the dining room. Please tell me right away what you suggest I do about it"

FLW: "Move your chair."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
not too far away from me in Cloquet, MN is what I believe to be, the only FLW designed gas station. Saw it written that he wanted to bring the gasoline across the inside of the canopy above the stalls and drop the hoses down from there. Apparently the regulating agency nixed that idea. Features a glassed-in lounge on the 2nd floor.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I've toured about 3 FLW houses, as well as Taliesin in AZ. The thing is, Wright could not have cared less whether or not the houses were comfortable for living. He always designed the houses and the furniture to be compatible. He could not have cared less if they caused the dwellers any discomfort. His furniture was the worst.
In my view, his brilliance lay in the way his buildings seemed to grow out of the landscape.

Favorite story. A friend was touring Fallingwater. She knew art, so she noticed that there was a Picasso hung in one of the rooms. She asked about it, "what is this Picasso?" she asked. The docent got all flustered, and just moved on. I don't think anyone had ever noticed it, or commented before, and they, for sure, did not want any notice taken of it. I bet it got taken down after that. It was like, how dare anyone think Picasso was more important the FLW?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 PM

320 posts, read 513,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Was there no building code back then? Or the code allowed it back then?

Today this is likely considered disturbing of the creek and wild life.
I don't think building code has anything to do with wildlife. You may have zoning issues that allow you to only build certain things in certain places, but that's not building code.

All of that said, Fallingwater is in the middle of nowhere and most likely didn't have any sort of environmental laws at the time, as it was built a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House