Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
DVD? What is that?

So old school...
You might not think so if you lived out in the country where there is no cable, hardly any cell phone reception, and you get bare minimal in Internet from satellite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I keep movies in a cabinet just below my TV. That way it's easy to find what I want to watch, in the room where I want to watch it. I try to store things in the room where I will be using them. If I don't have space in that room for the things, I need to reevaluate my collection size or buy a bigger piece of storage furniture.
For essentially the same reasons I said before.

As it is, the loft has 4, soon to be 5, steel shelves that are double stacked with movies and TV series. Just the way things worked out.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-21-2017 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
Well, to answer the question, I'm up and down the stairs all the time. I live in a three story townhouse. The bottom level is my laundry, garage and office and storage. It's also ground level. Middle level is the kitchen,dining and living room. Top level is the bedrooms.

The thing I probably go up and down the stairs the most for is the dog (taking her on walks). Second is probably food (the patio is on the bottom level and the kitchen is in the middle so I run up and down if I'm grilling or to get stuff out of the supply shelf in the garage).

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You might not think so if you lived out in the country where there is no cable, hardly any cell phone reception, and you get bare minimal in Internet from satellite.

For essentially the same reasons I said before.

As it is, the loft has 4, soon to be 5, steel shelves that are double stacked with movies and TV series. Just the way things worked out.
Is this the house you just built, and you're already out of space?

My husband likes to collect movies. He used to own probably a thousand VHS tapes, and housing his collection took some planning. Now he's got DVD or Bluray and they take up less room, but his collection is confined to a large cabinet under the TV. If he wants to get more than will fit in the cabinet, he will have to figure out storage or discard some of what he has. I don't want to dust shelves and shelves full of movies.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
DVD? What is that?

So old school...
Way more modern than a VHS or god forbid a Beta! Ooooh a laser disc.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Both of our houses are ranch style. No stairs for us as we age into one or the other.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 AM

761 posts, read 604,811 times
Quote:
In this case, it was upstairs to get a Western for I try to store my DVDs up in the loft.

The thing is that so far, it may be days in between till I climb those stairs again....and I should for the view up there is magnificent.

Does it always work out that way, when we put a major but secondary space, such as the video library or the wine cellar, on another level that it is something we infrequently visit? Have others encountered this "The wine cellar? Why, I haven't been there for ages!"?
This might be better suited to be posted in:

"What are your first world problems"

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Is this the house you just built, and you're already out of space?

My husband likes to collect movies. He used to own probably a thousand VHS tapes, and housing his collection took some planning. Now he's got DVD or Bluray and they take up less room, but his collection is confined to a large cabinet under the TV. If he wants to get more than will fit in the cabinet, he will have to figure out storage or discard some of what he has. I don't want to dust shelves and shelves full of movies.
Round two! (the machine rebooted the first time I tried this)

I'm not out of space....I'm just trying to figure out where to put all my stuff!

To cut to the chase, I live to cover my walls in pictures. In the past, such as in the apartments, there was a constant battle between shelving and wall space for pictures with usually the shelving winning.

Now in the house, things have been changed a little bit. The house was constructed with built in floor to ceiling wood shelves, 2 in the den, 1 in the bedroom. That is where my books will go and the LPs. The LPs do present the issue of them being stored one place but the turntables another, but it is a question of where the storage structure is located.

Which iterates the point that the Great Room walls were made for pictures, not to be blocked by shelving.

As it is, right now there is an entertainment table in the great room and that is where that TV sits. Next to it is a steel shelf with many, many DVR, DVP, and VCR units.

As to the VHS tapes, I don't know where they will go but fortunately, most have working copies DVDs in CD/DVD media drawers which are part of the loft library. The tapes might never be unpacked but just stored somewhere. They have to be kept both from the interpretation of "working copy" and if there is a need to make another one, but mostly for the former.

As far as limiting the library, to each their own. Given the topic, this rather reminds me of the novelization of Dr. Who "The Twin Dilemma" where Peri, trapped in the bomb shelter on a remote asteroid ...... "when she found the video library, she knew she would not die bored. When she found the wine cellar, she knew she would not die sober.".

As such, this is not really a discussion about media but about remote spaces with frequently needed material.

For example, I hope to use the loft as a space to resume my novel writing, to keep that computer up there where the atmosphere inspires dreaming. The loft will probably be where I mount the telescope when I get one; it has been suggested to me to take up astronomy now that I am out in the country.

As it is, I don't have a wine cellar but two World Market 44 bottle pine racks which I have found is enough for me. Texas Hill Country soil makes putting in basements rather impractical unless one gets very imaginative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
This might be better suited to be posted in:

"What are your first world problems"
Well, I am talking about house design in the House forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Both of our houses are ranch style. No stairs for us as we age into one or the other.
Well, originally, it was going to be one floor, but I wanted something that I could watch the sky from, some place where I could meditate, so the loft was added to the plans. Originally in my romantic haze, I wanted a circular stairway, but my designer told me that while they look cool, they really were a pain, so we went with a three sided hallway concealed behind my bedroom.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Speak for yourself. I rarely drink wine, but when I do, I like the good stuff, and it's much more economical to order a case at a time, shipped during the cooler months.
...and for a case or two you need an entire cellar?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...and for a case or two you need an entire cellar?
Sort of.

Last week, I found a Rose I could get into (and I don't usually do Rose) at $1.99/bottle (we have a liquor outlet here). If my racks were empty, I might fill them up with such. As it is, they are not and I did not.

Keep in mind that one's wine cellar does not have to look like something out of Edgar Allan Poe. It could just be like this or other under the staircase designs:

http://cdn.decoist.com/wp-content/up...p-on-space.jpg

As it is, in my "cellar", there are 88 to 124 bottles at max capacity. As stated before, it consists of two 44 bottle pine racks. They are located in two places around the Great Room, so there isn't an issue of them being visited infrequently.

I do have an under the stairs closet, of all things as in the stairs leading to the loft, that I could use as a wine cellar, something like this picture,

http://www.customwinecellarslosangel...a-1024x680.jpg

Could use but it runs into three basic problems. First of all, it might put the wine racks out of use and I'd rather have them in use than as space hogging wooden sculptures. Secondly, we've been discussing have things where they are in use and a wine cellar rather defeats that in my house. Finally, I have other uses for that closet.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
In this case, it was upstairs to get a Western for I try to store my DVDs up in the loft.

The thing is that so far, it may be days in between till I climb those stairs again....and I should for the view up there is magnificent.

Does it always work out that way, when we put a major but secondary space, such as the video library or the wine cellar, on another level that it is something we infrequently visit? Have others encountered this "The wine cellar? Why, I haven't been there for ages!"?
I would definitely put a comfortable chair up there and use that space for reading. I love to read so it would get used quite frequently.

Our basement is kinda like your loft. It's fully finished and furnished, and has a full bathroom. Yet we rarely use it for lounging and watching TV. We go down there several times a day only to let our dog out into the backyard or to get something out of storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House