Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 479 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning I heard a crash in my house followed by the sight of a pickup going thru my backyard. I realized immediately he had hit my house and ran outside (he stopped). The kid was 16 and had just got his license days earlier! He was ok but in shock so I called 911 and they came out, checked him over, then highway patrol wrote him a ticket.

My four month old new construction house had damage to the corner including masonry, siding, downspout and some underwall but didn't break thru to the drywall (he slid sideways into the corner and glanced off the house). He then took out the AC unit knocking it off the slab and denting the unit pretty good.

I called my homeowners insurance and reported it and called his auto company (State Farm) and filed a claim. I uploaded the police report and photos to both websites. I've never had something like this happen before and I was hoping someone could give me some advice and pointers on what to do.

Questions:

1. I assume they'll send out adjusters to look at it. Should I get my own contractor estimate too?

2. I want to make sure they replace the AC unit not just "repair" the dent as it took quite a jolt. How to do this?

3. Do I need to set up the repairs myself or will the adjusters do it?

4. Anyone else have an experience like this care to share their story?

Thank you.

EkSC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,312,579 times
Dont do anything until the insurance people take a look. Make sure and take a lot of photos of all of the damage.
The a/c unit may need to be replaced, or it may not. If it was knocked off the slab, then likely the refrigerant line were broken, and all the refrigerant is gone. You might want to have a HVAC contractor come out and give an opinion (as well as your insurance adjuster).
I would think this is all going to be on the auto insurance of the kid that hit your house. Your insurance company will likely take care of it, and get all they can for you. Get your insurance agent involved as well. Let him/her fight for you.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 AM

957 posts, read 2,023,864 times
Sorry this happened, and glad everyone is ok. I'm sure this is frustrating for you. See some answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkSC View Post

Questions:

1. I assume they'll send out adjusters to look at it. Should I get my own contractor estimate too?

You'll need to decide how you want to pursue the claim. You can use your own insurance, where you will need to pay your deductible out of pocket, and your own insurance will attempt (and likely succeed) in getting that back for you from the other insurance company. Or, you can work with the kid's company directly, to not have to lay out the deductible. One of those companies will probably send an adjuster.

You can also get your own contractor for an estimate to be prepared up front in case the insurance company missed anything, but the real work you'll have is when a contractor starts doing the work and finds the estimate to be off, and you'll need to work with the insurance company for the difference. This may not happen if the estimate is accurate up-front, but that isn't always the case.

2. I want to make sure they replace the AC unit not just "repair" the dent as it took quite a jolt. How to do this?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do here. If the unit is repairable for significantly less cost than a new one, insurance isn't going to buy you a new one. Keep an eye on this though and discuss with the HVAC contractor -- if the warranty is voided or anything because of the damage, you might then have a case for a new one.

It is possible your homeowners insurance has preferred contractors they recommend, but you are free to do this yourself and probably want to so you can select a contractors you feel comfortable with and will do the job to your liking.

Thank you.

EkSC
Best wishes with getting your things back together quickly!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkSC View Post
Yesterday morning I heard a crash in my house followed by the sight of a pickup going thru my backyard. I realized immediately he had hit my house and ran outside (he stopped). The kid was 16 and had just got his license days earlier! He was ok but in shock so I called 911 and they came out, checked him over, then highway patrol wrote him a ticket.

My four month old new construction house had damage to the corner including masonry, siding, downspout and some underwall but didn't break thru to the drywall (he slid sideways into the corner and glanced off the house). He then took out the AC unit knocking it off the slab and denting the unit pretty good.

I called my homeowners insurance and reported it and called his auto company (State Farm) and filed a claim. I uploaded the police report and photos to both websites. I've never had something like this happen before and I was hoping someone could give me some advice and pointers on what to do.

Questions:

Absolutely. Their adjuster is looking to do it as cheap as possible. You should hire your own contractor or use whoever the builder used that originally did the build. They already know the construction

It will be replaced. A jolt where it was dented and moved messed up the coils and fins anyway. And tell the guy you hired yo look it over well.

You simply hire a contractor to deal with all the subs. It's going to be a insurance repair anyway.

A few times. Usually the homeowner hires a contractor after the contractor gives a estimate to repair. Compare to the estimate from the insurance adjuster. Most insurances prefer you use a cintractorcthey suggest. I would use one your insurance suggests. Most consumers can be taken advantage of by unscrupulous contractors. So be careful who you hire. I would research AND ask if you can talk to and see ongoing repair or construction projects. If the contractor doesn't have any ongoing jobs don't hire them.

Thank you.

EkSC
Bold

Bold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House