Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Thanks Lindsey. I did not know about these. Where could I get them? Lowes, Walmart?
Either place but I highly recommend the plate hangers with the plastic coating on them. They have them without but I would worry about the plate being damaged by them.

I have all sizes, all the way up to the size for large platters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Ok now this plate business is gonna get me in trouble! We are in the process of selling and moving, and if we ever get out of this house and into a new one, I am going to dig out all my plates and dishes and do something fun with them...

I love the pictures, I would love to see your office kshe95girl, post some if you get a chance. I just LOVE the country look, but have toned it down in recent years due to some major moving around, 5 moves in 5 years...

I googled Pink Castle dishes..oh my..heart be still...

Decorative Dishes : search

I'm sure there are many more sites...I envy being able to go to the factory in europe..wow..

over and out....

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
KSHE95girl: Those pictures are awesome! Much more beautiful arrangement than in my house! I got some ideas looking at those pix - you are a dear for posting them!

What a great idea. . . maybe LITTLEDOG can get some ideas and use those plates from gg/mother!!!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Hi,

I know this is an odd question but our house is small (1000 square feet) and we are really cramped for space. I am the proud recipient of my great-grandmother's Noritake fine china set, I imagine it's over 100 years old. It is in good condition and it has all of it's pieces. The problem is, we don't have a dining room so we NEVER use it. We only have a small booth in our kitchen, that's it. Since we have no dining room, we don't have a china cabinet to hold all of these dishes. The set resides in our linen closet. I know that's a crazy place for it, but I want to make sure it doesn't break. We've been in this house for ten years and with the current housing market, I don't think we'll move anytime soon....

To make a long story short, do you think I should sell this china set? No one else in my family wants it (I'm the only daughter) and it takes up so much space. I love the sentiment of owning this china but will I ever use it? To be honest, I don't really care for the pattern-I'm more of a casual-mod sort of a girl. There is also a full set of silverware to go with it. I am married and we didn't register for china because we already had this set and we're not formal entertainers.

Please advise on what I should do!
I'm also very sentimental so personally speaking i would keep them. however, what would your great grandmother want YOU to do? do they have significant $$$ value? if they do and you feel your great grandmother would want you benefit from the money instead of the items then sell them. if they have no $$$ value have you thought about either paying someone to create a mosiac out of them or doing it yourself (maybe a coffee table or outside table). this way you'll have the china but just using it in a different way.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When you say you collect Castles, do you mean on dishes? I have loved those dishes for so long and now that I have the, I love using them.
I was just thinking about toile the other day for my bedroom. I am planning on repainting and re-doing it and I was watching Martha Stewart with some toile. Your office sounds amazing.
I also have some milk glass and pink depression glass that I have mixed with my Spode in the China cabinet. I have collected cobalt glass to go with it since I was in high school. I love those miniature peices that Spode is selling now, I see in the picture you have some of the on the wall as well.

I am speaking of the the Johnson Bros china, just love it, they have a really gorgous line of Christmas china that is very similar that I have been trying not to fall in love with, I am a hopeless plate junkie.
As soon as my office is clean, will post some pix of it, its scary in there right now, I am putting new floors in the house........
Have you seen the little Spode teabag rests? They come in blue/white, and blue/yellow, and are shaped in the outline of a teacup, so cute!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am speaking of the the Johnson Bros china, just love it, they have a really gorgous line of Christmas china that is very similar that I have been trying not to fall in love with, I am a hopeless plate junkie.
As soon as my office is clean, will post some pix of it, its scary in there right now, I am putting new floors in the house........
Have you seen the little Spode teabag rests? They come in blue/white, and blue/yellow, and are shaped in the outline of a teacup, so cute!
All this talk - and those lovely pictures - have me thinking about how I can decorate w/ my Spode . . . and I want a teabag rest now, too! LOL!!!

See what I mean. Collectors . . . we just have STUFF!!! At least I can put the plates on a wall or shelf . . .

Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
All this talk - and those lovely pictures - have me thinking about how I can decorate w/ my Spode . . . and I want a teabag rest now, too! LOL!!!

See what I mean. Collectors . . . we just have STUFF!!! At least I can put the plates on a wall or shelf . . .
here, allow me to feed your addiction, look on the counter in the pix, see the teabag rests?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM

[quote=kshe95girl;3199671]here, allow me to feed your addiction, look on the counter in the pix, see the teabag rests?

OMGosh! They are sooooo cute! This is the most charming kitchen ever! Ready for a spread in BHG!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Johnson Bros old Britian castles dinner plate - eBay (item 180224066713 end time Mar-21-08 10:06:46 PDT) (broken link)

Thats what I thought you meant, thats the dishes we eat on. I have gotten them at TJ Maxx pretty affordably. However I have some other pink plates that I have hanging on the wall in the dining room that are of a different pattern. These pink plates lend themselves so well to being mixed with others.

I have a large collection of various OLD dishes with roses on them that are slated for my office which is a very light blush pink and light green.

OH don't get me started on Christmas patterns. You would NOT believe how cheap the Spode Christmas tree is at the outlet. Thats the pattern I would like to have and mix in the variation they make for Disney. My dream is to one day have a larger dining room LINED all along one wall with lit, glass shelves built in china cabinets.

Have you seen the Spode plates that are calendars? I love those, they also made a kitchen clock that is made of a Spode plate with a clock on the front of it.

I have an obsession with fruit, thats how my kitchen is decorated. I have a significant collection of Fitz and Floyd with the fruit patterns. My formal china is Lenox, Autumn which has a wonderful arrangement of fruit on it, I also have the Francis the 1st Sterling silver which has fruit on it. I had always like Portmerion and now they have dishes with fruit on them as well so now I have to have some of that to mix with my pink castles.

Portmeirion POMONA Fruit/Dessert Bowl Squash - eBay (item 190205701398 end time Apr-09-08 13:57:23 PDT) (broken link)

I have decided when I die, I'm taking my Spode collection with me. OR rather I am going to be cremated and sealed in a Spode temple jar. They come in larger sizes but here is a picture of a miniature one.

Amazon.com: Spode Blue Italian Earthenware Mini Temple Jar: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited by Lindsey_Mcfarren; 03-20-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM

[quote=anifani821;3201575]
Quote:
here, allow me to feed your addiction, look on the counter in the pix, see the teabag rests?

OMGosh! They are sooooo cute! This is the most charming kitchen ever! Ready for a spread in BHG!!!
thanks Ani, it was actually ready for a shoot for a book that is coming out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House