Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:18 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I had a house built from plans by a modular builder. The contractor was a former assembler for that brand. I was on site almost daily. Also every Friday afternoon with beer for the work crew.
We still had issues. We also made some bad design choices.
Ironically, some builders in this area have clauses that forbid visits from the buyer. Too much trouble.
I'm sure we could learn from these. What are bad design choices? What kind of issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Also, how/who makes sure the contractors do their end of the bargain...if not you???
The GC, who doesn't get paid if the work isn't complete as agreed.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I've built 2 homes. Typically contractors will get permits and basically do everything for you if you want to pay them to do it! As another poster mentioned, do a walk trough before drywall, after drywall and periodically in-between!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The GC, who doesn't get paid if the work isn't complete as agreed.
And who's going to watch the GC?

What the OP described, which is amplified by other things he's posted, is a situation where he wants to unleash a GC to build a dream home in a remote location with zero oversight. (The OP says he's overseas, and has a spouse that doesn't share this dream.)

If I'm a GC, this would be a job I'd likely pass on. Nor would I agree to have enough $$$ held back to satisfy an owner who's gonna fly in once at the end and inspect my work before paying me.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:10 AM

857 posts, read 959,685 times
I feel that if I define certain high-level parameters of the project and can come to agreement with the builder, for example if I give a very specific design and blue prints (which is specifying A LOT of things!), and specify the materials grade, I am comfortable to overlook smaller issues.

I am also lucky to have a good level of trust with a few people in the industry, whom I had done house renovation projects with before.

A modular home seems an attractive idea also, if one is not particular about building a DREAM home, because even more variables are eliminated.

Last edited by rhbj03; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 10:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
One of the reasons we're thinking about building is wanting be involved in the process. Well...moreso my husband since he works in the construction industry. He is very familiar with the General Contractor we are thinking about hiring. If it weren't for my husband's field I don't think I would want to build. Anyway I'm interested to follow the other responses to this thread. I'm assuming the GC will pull all the permits and our job will be the decision-making and whatever else my husband wants to get involved in.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I feel that if I define certain high-level parameters of the project and can come to agreement with the builder, for example if I give a very specific design and blue prints (which is specifying A LOT of things!), and specify the materials grade, I am comfortable to overlook smaller issues.
Every new build has "high-level parameters" defined, and a set of blueprints and specs. Even if those are done very well, they don't eliminate the need for decisions and re-assessments and fixes along the way.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
My parents built a very complicated, very large house (16,000 square feet) and it was about a 3-4 year process. There was constant input on a weekly basis, so if they hadn't have been involved it would have turned into a nightmare. Even little idiotic things that were discussed, for instance them putting in an 18" pool! My mom thought it was a pool for midgets, but the guy was like, "Oh did you want to swim in it? We just thought it was for the looks, like a wading pool." Uhh... no. Why would it be?! Especially on such a grand house.

Trust me, you want to be involved, even on a much smaller project.

My main confusion in the whole process because I want to build our next home (about 4 years and 8 months from now, but I should get the process started more like 4 years from now) is that there seems to be a lot of chicken or egg mentality. You talk to a real estate agent and they say they can help you find a lot, but online they correctly point out you should have your plans first, then find the lot that works. I talked to one architect and he acted like, "Great, once you have a lot, let's talk!" Umm... no. I'm not buying a lot until I am positive the home I want to build is going to work for that lot. To me, this should be a combined effort, so perhaps a larger company fits my needs best. I am more than willing to put my time into a project, but I shouldn't be flying blind, especially in a city I don't even live in yet, so I'd need someone to sit down, draw up plans with me, make sure that those plans are realistic for my budget, then someone else should be showing me lots in my price range and ideal area that are zoned properly for those plans we draw up, etc. I don't want to be dealing with a bunch of people who are unconnected and end up confused how it all fits together. It should be a smooth transition where the lot is selected based on the plans and then a builder is brought in after the lot and plans mesh together, etc.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm sure we could learn from these. What are bad design choices? What kind of issues?
1. We painted bedrooms according to kids choices. Horrible idea.
2. Different color shag carpets is each room. Similar result.
3. A downstairs bathroom where the heating air duct hung over the toilet.
4. T1-11 siding.
5 Cheap windows.
6. Remember, some is good, more is better, too much is about right in terms of space. Should have added 4 feet both ways.
Best idea was extra row of blocks for ~$100 to add headroom in basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House