Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 AM

459 posts, read 620,151 times

Advertisements

Last December I contracted with a company to install a new kitchen.
They came and installed the cabinets but something did not look right on one wall.
Basically, there is a blind corner cabinet with a stove next to it but on the other wall, so there needed to be a sufficient gap left for the corner cabinet draw to open without hitting the oven door handle. They had not measured correctly so had not left enough space. So the installer planed the face frame as much as he could on one cabinet and shunted the cabinets so far out that they would have interfered with the door casing on the left end.
I called them back to fix it properly and you can see the sad attempt to "fix" it LOL.
I told them they needed to replace the 27" cabinet that had been planed with a 24" cabinet and replace the hacked up blind cabinet. They refused and despite going back and forth with promised fixes, nothing was done.
So I disputed the charge with my credit card company and after 2 months they agreed with me and returned my payment permanently. Kitchen company decide they will "fix" it and complete the job but only with a new contract vetted by their attorney and say they have slapped a lien on my house.

Certainly I would rather they just fix it properly and pay them and move on, but in 4 months they have shown no ability to follow up and do the job properly. At this point I am thinking they should just take it out and go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen install error, they will not correct.-20171206_101902.jpg   Kitchen install error, they will not correct.-20171215_110354.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Two can play games

First go to your county registrar and see if there is a lien on your house. If there isn’t a lien then file a notice of non responsibility that day and post it on your property. The clerk will know what to give you. Just say you want a notice of non responsibility
then

I would send a letter of demand for them to correctly repair the botched up work. If they don’t answer

I would file a complaint with the state contractors board in your state against their contractors license and if you have the contract and written agreement to repair the shoddy work and they didn't do it I would go after their bond. Send copies with your complaint to the board. Youll be contacted by a case worker.
Let them answer that complaint. Then tell them that you’ll drop the complaint if they fix the issue. You will ONLY drop the complaint after they give you a certificate of completion. This way they cannot come back on you. They most likely will ty for a conditional which will become unconditional once you drop the complaint.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
OK - the one with the drawer and door cut in half... I can't believe they thought that would be acceptable!

Clarify for me... what is wrong with the fix?

On edit...just to be clear... is the first pic the fix?

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-21-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 03:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The two pics are of different installs- same kitchen but the base cabinet fronts are set differently. The first pic is a correct install. There is no mismeasurement, that's the way cabinets run and filler strips are required in most any cabinet install. I can only assume that you didn't like the install so they came up with cutting the fronts to look continuous to make you happy. That would be the second pic. Sorry your expectations were not met but it seems to me they have gone out of their way to make you happy. And because you have no clue about construction, you come on a big forum like this one to bash the hell out of a vendor that only wants to make you happy. I'd be more upset that the wall they are mounted on is crooked but that apparently doesn't matter to you. Before you ever start any project like this one again, you might research the entire process so you won't have issues with not understanding what's going on. This much I can tell you, they're working a lot better with you than I would. I wouldn't have had the cabinets fronts rerun to look continuous as it's not a normal standard of practice. While I'm sure you're an adult, I'd strongly suggest you get off of the horse and become a lot more amiable or you might find yourself losing your house.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
OK - I assumed the first pic was the fix... Isn't it?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
All they need to do is swap that bottom left cabinet with a slightly smaller one, so that it matches the top (1st pic). They look like prefab cabinets, so it’s not hard to do.

The 2nd pic looks horrible IMO, no way I’d accept that.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"Basically, there is a blind corner cabinet with a stove next to it but on the other wall, so there needed to be a sufficient gap left for the corner cabinet draw to open without hitting the oven door handle. "

Looking at the pics, WTF type of oven did you buy??? Pic 2 may show a kludge, but I can't imagine an oven with handles extending far enough out to not only allow for cabinet depth and a reasonable allowance, but the excessive allowance shown on that first pic. IMO, if this is real, the problem is with the oven maker, not the cabinet maker.

I'm serious that I would love to see a pic of the oven and the handles. I can't wait to see if your oven dresses right or left.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Agree with the above. Pictures would help here. Is this what you are talking about? He used the WRONG sized cabinets. Shoving them out to the left is not a proper solution. Now you would have your backsplash (if you plan to have one) not matching up with the lower counter. That will look like crap. And never mind the nonsense on the right end of the "fix" job. What kind of idiot would do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen install error, they will not correct.-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-21-2018 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:21 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Who did the cabinet specifications?
Who did the layout?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:35 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Looks awful and very unprofessional in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House