Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times

Advertisements

For the past year we have been totally refurbishing our house. When we bought it there was no plumbing and no septic tank. There was-and still is- a two seater outhouse in the backyard. We live on the side of a mountain [we are working on handicap accessability] and there were 43 huge. crumbling [some mostly missing] crumbling concrete steps going up to our house.

We initially tried repairing the steps, but realized that we had to replace each and every step. It was long and hard work. So was everything else we had to do. It is a work in progress, but I absolutely love my house.

The other day, someone said, "Wow, I guess in some ways it is a good thing that this place was never upgraded all these years or you would've had popcorn ceilings to get rid of. And that made me think. We have done SO MUCH on this place. and we have SO MUCH left to do [we are enjoying it most of the time though, and we do average only 2 hours of work on it a day] and if there were popcorn ceilings, I am not so sure that we would get rid of them.

Had we bought this place ten years ago, if there were popcorn ceilings that would have probably been at the top of my list for aesthetic improvements. Now, I just wouldn't care.

And it is not that I no longer care what my house looks like. In fact, that is more important to me than ever before. It is important to me that my furniture is attractive and comfortable for anyone to sit in. Though I don't have a particular "style" [someone told me '"Your house is SOOO vicky!"] it is important that there is a soothing flow, that there are plenty of fun little surprises hidden about, that there is a balance to how I place furniture and other obects in it. And I mixed together cookie dough that I keep in the freezer so that I can pop some in the oven if someone stops by.

So, I do care what my house looks like, but if I had popcorn ceilings, or something else that was totally out of style-say avocado kitchen appliances, or a pink bathtub- I really don't know that it would be something I had to get rid of, immediately if not sooner!

In the past, I probably would not even allow anyone in my home until I got rid of these "atrocoties," Nowadays, I think I might get a kick out of them.

I was wondering, has anyone else had this change in how they view things, or is just a "Vicky" thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 10:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
What I don't like is people that try to change the house too much. I say stay in the period it was built. With the exception of heating and AC I would try to stay in the period.

The other day I saw a beautiful 1920's Tudor and they put granite counter tops in.

With popcorn ceilings people hear asbestos and panic. Don't worry about them.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I for one hate popcorn ceilings. Husband and I removed all of it from our 1900 sq ft home when we bought it 3 years ago. NO regrets.

Messy, nasty work tho...

Old 07-01-2018, 11:08 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Popcorn ceilings are really ugly. I think that is a "truth," and not subjective - lol.

It sounds like you are just running out of steam.

Maybe take a break and label it "Phase Two?"

I think the house is much improved when they're gone.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:15 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
I have popcorn ceilings in my abode (condo, circa 1987) and find them to be ascetically acceptable. (The popcorn texture is very fine in size; not large.)

The blanket statement made by home shoppers on those HGTV shows ("the popcorn ceilings have to go") makes me chuckle. It is not common in my area to remove the popcorn texture when renovating. Why take on that extra work and mess?

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 07-01-2018 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Fix typo

Old 07-01-2018, 12:20 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Don't like popcorn ceilings..

Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
What is the issue with popcorn ceilings? I have never thought of them one way or the other (although don't think I've ever had them in an apartment- always lived in really old beat-up conversions from the 1920s). Is it that it is a dated format? Is it really an HGTV thing or is there some genuine drawback?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 PM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
I don't really care about popcorn ceilings; I have them and am not planning to get rid of them. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the ceiling.

I can't believe the people that want to tear out gorgeous wood kitchen cabinets to put in white ones, but that's just me.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:35 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
So, I do care what my house looks like, but if I had popcorn ceilings, or something else that was totally out of style-say avocado kitchen appliances, or a pink bathtub- I really don't know that it would be something I had to get rid of, immediately if not sooner!
I love pink bath fixtures, could live with avocado appliances if I had a vintage kitchen, but I loathe popcorn ceilings. In our previous home we had them scraped. It was messy and pricey but the end result was worth it. Our current home was built after they went out of style, thank goodness.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:36 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Ya never know, popcorn ceilings could come back as popular in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House