Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times

Advertisements

I bought these so I could install a quick, inexpensive patio starting at the bottom of the stairs from my deck. (After visiting several stores looking for stone pavers, I found out that they have been discontinued! No one carries them anymore! ) I'm planning to install the resin pavers this weekend and hope some here can offer some tips and feedback.

I bought some topsoil and sand to put down after I level the area. We have clay soil and I'm hoping the topsoil and sand will help hold the pavers firm when it rains. (The clay gets gooey and mushy after a good rain.) What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
I don't know. I have seen these before, but I just don't see them lasting very long. I imagine after a year or two they will be faded and cracking. I guess if they did fade you could always paint them with some of that paint for plastic.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 PM

Well, they're installed. I sure hope they last! I don't think it will be a problem -- I have a resin "stone-like" fountain that's been outside for years year-round and it's still in great shape.

It looks pretty good! The only thing I have left to do is tap in the border I bought to put around it.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:46 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
If you just put them down over soil, they won't last very long. To do a good installation, you should have put down tamped gravel and a thin layer of sand - just like for pavers. These are lighter and will be more vulnerable to movement than crete or stone pavers. I haven't used resin pavers, but my experience with resin objects outdoors is that they start wearing after a couple of years and the finish starts flaking off. Walking on them will unfortunately probably prove less durable.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If you just put them down over soil, they won't last very long. To do a good installation, you should have put down tamped gravel and a thin layer of sand - just like for pavers. These are lighter and will be more vulnerable to movement than crete or stone pavers. I haven't used resin pavers, but my experience with resin objects outdoors is that they start wearing after a couple of years and the finish starts flaking off. Walking on them will unfortunately probably prove less durable.
I don't think it would be possible to put gravel below the resin pavers. The "teeth" at the bottom of them aren't very long and have to grab into the earth. After preparing the area, I spread topsoil and then pavers sand on top. It rained like crazy last night and this morning but the pavers didn't move at all. In fact, they're more secure.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

112 posts, read 852,519 times
There's plenty of DIY instructions on pavers online. Here's one of them. To avoid having to redo the whole process, take the time and effort to do it right the first time around. It's been proven that compacted gravel with a layer of sand is the best method that should last years if done right. You're using resin pavers but I don't think the installation method would very that much. You still need a good solid foundation to lay your pavers on and a compacted gravel base should be best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House