Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:17 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
even though my oven is self cleaning I still clean mine manually cause I think I do a better job than the self cleaner . I know , I know im sort of a perfectionist when it comes to clean . My adult kids call me mrs clean and im married to mr clean LOL .
I've never used the self clean, because I'm not sure it would do a better job then what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Just clean the oven manually.
I used to use easy off until I tried Greased Lightning and Krud cutter with a scour pad. I now try to clean it as we use it but there are days it doesn't happen. I also use Dawn on the door with the scour pad. No more heavy easy off fumes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Another thing about gas ovens. The lines need to be blown out occasionally. Did not know that one but getting ours done soon. Better to get it done sooner than when the oven door sort of explodes out when you're heating the oven up. (Not an actual destructive explosion so I guess that's good. Nothing came apart. Just the door blew open with a loud boom shot sound.)
Never heard of that. The 50 year old gas stove never "needed the lines blown out". Not even sure how you would do that without risking serious property damage or personnel hazard.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 AM

384 posts, read 376,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Simple, CLEAN the oven Yes, if you self clean, the SD will go off, but dont disconnect it.

Just clean it the old fashioned way, try scrubbing, first
Lol , OP use easyoff. I have a smoke detector that goes off when I leave my front door open when its hot out. I consider this a good thing , its doing its job 👍

Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I have a smoke detector that goes off when I leave my front door open when its hot out. I consider this a good thing , its doing its job 👍
But it is not. False alarms will desensitize you to the real thing.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Another thing about gas ovens. The lines need to be blown out occasionally. Did not know that one but getting ours done soon. Better to get it done sooner than when the oven door sort of explodes out when you're heating the oven up. (Not an actual destructive explosion so I guess that's good. Nothing came apart. Just the door blew open with a loud boom shot sound.)

Ah; ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
OK, thanks for the tips everyone. I did it last night. Boy was it hot in the house. First I cleaned out everything I could with scraping, and a wet towel. Black crud and ashes went bye bye. I don't use easy off oven cleaner. Those fumes are toxic. So then I locked the oven and turned on the clean. It actually cleaned for THREE hours. Is that usual? After 2.5 hours I turned it off and heard funny noises from the oven. Whatever. After another hour, it was cool enough to open the door. Hooray ! A clean oven. I will try tin foil in the bottom so I don't have to ever do this again ! The smoke alarm never came on.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

If I were encountering this problem I would do as previously mentioned- disconnect, remove battery. When the cleaning cycle is complete, reinstall.
Never disconnect, it's too easy to forget to put battery back in the devise.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:57 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
OK, thanks for the tips everyone. I did it last night. Boy was it hot in the house. First I cleaned out everything I could with scraping, and a wet towel. Black crud and ashes went bye bye. I don't use easy off oven cleaner. Those fumes are toxic. So then I locked the oven and turned on the clean. It actually cleaned for THREE hours. Is that usual? After 2.5 hours I turned it off and heard funny noises from the oven. Whatever. After another hour, it was cool enough to open the door. Hooray ! A clean oven. I will try tin foil in the bottom so I don't have to ever do this again ! The smoke alarm never came on.
Perfectly normal. Next time, let the oven clean for the whole three hours.

The noises you heard were probably the sounds of the metal cooling and crackling.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:20 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Watch the foil. My hub did that, I have some burned on the bottom that won't come off no matter what I use. Maybe I should try self clean lol

I hit submit and saw this lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Do NOT put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:20 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Do NOT put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven!!
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House