Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM

159 posts, read 517,288 times

Advertisements

Do you keep unwanted things or have a partner that hoards and gets upset if you want to move something? I guess I am a 'thrower' but keep all memorable stuff in an organized manner. All the greeting cards in folders in those sheet protecters, all letters from family, all of my kids achievement certificates, just into those sheet protectors and folders. Saves space and keeps everything clean. I just do NOT buy anything at all. Only minimum grocery shopping. My MIL is the opposite, it's a miracle if you can find place to sit in her home. It's disgusting, she has stuff from the time she married, and refuses to throw away DH's college books that GASP! had fungus in it!!! She gets very upset and angry. Other than that, she is a dream to be with. She is a compulsive shopper and bought stuff worth $200 in a Dollar store when we simply went 'window shopping.'

As sweet natured as she is, this is a curse for her. She was stuck in some apartment on a vacation for 15 days, she bought a new stove, TV, and wonder what else she did not tell me. For 15 days!! Well, we do not even have a TV at home, wonder what will happen if she comes here. As usual, I be quiet, the second she leaves, I will 'garage sale' off stuff. I am a 'thrower.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 04:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
My Mother has always been this way.
Unfortunately I picked up a bit of it but I can let go, I can get rid of things. I had a HUGE gargage sale and now I am taking the things that didn't sell to Goodwill.

I inherited alot antiques and stuff in general when my Father died and my Mother downsized. I feel the danger of becoming like my Mother and I don't want that too happen.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
To the OP - you seem a little judgemental of your MIL. I am a "saver". Not a hoarder. I keep things that are useable, or sentimental - even if I haven't used them in a while. My parents were children of the depression, so I'm sure I picked up on their attitudes growing up. However, we have plenty of room for storage, so I don't think its affecting us negatively. I also like to "stock up". Yes - that does mean 4 pacakges of paper toweling when its on sale. I have a basement to put the extras in, and I don't run out.

I've noticed that many people who are "minimalists" (my SIL for one) always act kind of self-righteous about their ability to throw/give everything away.

I'll admit - I don't understand that lifestyle (you would think my house is cluttered, I am sure) - but I don't try to make her feel bad about the fact that her house looks bare. On the other hand, people seem to think its okay to try to make people who save/stock-up feel bad for "HOARDING"

Hoarding is saving taken to a RIDICULOUS and possibly unhealthy extreme. No, not a mildewed sentimental book. How about 10,000 moldy pizza cartons? Or the man with Newspapers stacked so high in his apartment that they block the windows and there is a 2ft wide path to walk through? Those are "hoarders" (the woman with 78 cats).

Me, with my highschool papers (I'm 35), and my grandfather's diploma, and my mother's collectibles, and 6 sets of china (2 were mine, 4 are heirlooms), and 4 sofas and 3 tvs and probably 1000 books.... I am not a hoarder. I am just very comfortable with a large amount of stuff.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
To the OP - you seem a little judgemental of your
Me, with my highschool papers (I'm 35), and my grandfather's diploma, and my mother's collectibles, and 6 sets of china (2 were mine, 4 are heirlooms), and 4 sofas and 3 tvs and probably 1000 books.... I am not a hoarder. I am just very comfortable with a large amount of stuff.

You are not a hoarder at all. Like I mentioned, I save all sentimental stuff. But my MIL is ridiculous, imagine if you barely have space to sit in her place. What about the ovaltine bottle her son got her 12 years back? It expired and she refuses to throw the inner contents away too. She drank only one cup when he had given it to her. That is crazy.

Do I stock up? Yes, on good sale I do buy10 boxes of cereal, sure. No heirlooms passed down to me, no collectibles either. Minimum furniture, does not mean I have only bare walls. The house is comfortable and well furnished in a small budget. I believe in saving.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM

I think once you can no longer live in your home due to the junk you drag home, then you have a problem. My Mother can't sit on the couch, she can't use her sewing machine for all the junk around.

I have ALOT of old things and I love them and will never part with the history that lives in these items.

A hoarder is beyond having alot of cherished items around. My Mother was going out to buy JUNK that she had no use for, no need for and wasted an enormous amount of money on this junk. She has her apppartment junked up to the point that its unsake for her to walk.

I have my Grandmothers drivers license, I have various peices of porcelain that were hers, her book shelves, her volunteer badge from when she worked in a nursing home. I have my Mothers graduation ring from when she graduated from TCU with a nursing ring.

I even have my Fathers desk, a great HUGE thing that is really too big for my office but I could never part with it. I even have the family dining table and sideboard that has been in my family since before the great depression of 1929.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I
I have my Grandmothers drivers license, I have various peices of porcelain that were hers, her book shelves, her volunteer badge from when she worked in a nursing home. I have my Mothers graduation ring from when she graduated from TCU with a nursing ring.

I even have my Fathers desk, a great HUGE thing that is really too big for my office but I could never part with it. I even have the family dining table and sideboard that has been in my family since before the great depression of 1929.

If things like that were passed down to me, I would have it. But NO to JUNK. Yes to stock up. My weird mom never let me have anything. she sold every possible thing and loves money more than people. So she took care of a lot of things and left my house clean. As long as I have MIL, I will tolerate all her nonsense. No problem. She is sweet and loving. After her, I will get rid of major junk and keep all the senti's. But never touch a thing if FIL is still around. NEVER. Cannot hurt his feelings EVER. He loves her way toooooooo much.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM

I use my garage to stock up on things, I have a couple shelves that I buy things like toilet paper, paper towels, plastic food storage bags, bleach wipes, dishwasher tablets. Those all stay in the garage until we need them.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:51 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
4 sofas and 3 tvs and probably 1000 books.... I am not a hoarder. I am just very comfortable with a large amount of stuff.
4 sofas? You must have a HUGE house..........

Hoarding is a diagonosable mental disorder, and can be treated. These people should have our sympathy, not scorn.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think once you can no longer live in your home due to the junk you drag home, then you have a problem. My Mother can't sit on the couch, she can't use her sewing machine for all the junk around.

I have ALOT of old things and I love them and will never part with the history that lives in these items.

A hoarder is beyond having alot of cherished items around. My Mother was going out to buy JUNK that she had no use for, no need for and wasted an enormous amount of money on this junk. She has her apppartment junked up to the point that its unsake for her to walk.

Excellent definitions on where the lines should be drawn.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
The thought that I could possibly use that one day is the driving force.....even if I haven't used it in 5 years.....it's there in case I do.....it makes moving horrible.

Thankfully I don't have this but know a few that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House