Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM

14,534 posts, read 12,171,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It would have to be awful rare, since stud walls all have a bottom plate sitting on the subfloor. So somehow there would have to be a gap between the bottom plate and the inside face of the wall material, that just happened to be located directly above a similar gap in the subfloor, and then a razor blade would have to magically fall just through that little gap. Since most older houses have subfloors of planks, usually tongue and groove, set at a 45 degree angle to the walls, it's hard for me to imagine how this could happen except that once in a lifetime occurrence.

Except bathrooms have plumbing and electrical that may or may not have been original, which often comes up and goes down through holes in the floor...

Old houses have lots of gaps and holes from settlement and fixtures that have been moved around or replaced over years. I can easily see this happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 01:34 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,441,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I know! Weird, huh! Seems bizarre. A realtor posted it on a facebook group all freaked out because they had no idea why they would be there and assumed it was something really creepy! Scared her to death I think. Once I'd read the thread there, I wondered why we hadn't seen or heard of it before and decided to post it here! It must be pretty common!
Must be young and watched too many Scary movies. Anyone who grew up in a house in the 50's with a medicine cabinet knows what they were for. I don't know if they were used that frequently, I don't recall that my dad did as I think he bought them in the container where you return one and get one and then throw out the container. A few might have ended up in the wall.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM

9,149 posts, read 14,782,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It would have to be awful rare, since stud walls all have a bottom plate sitting on the subfloor. So somehow there would have to be a gap between the bottom plate and the inside face of the wall material, that just happened to be located directly above a similar gap in the subfloor, and then a razor blade would have to magically fall just through that little gap. Since most older houses have subfloors of planks, usually tongue and groove, set at a 45 degree angle to the walls, it's hard for me to imagine how this could happen except that once in a lifetime occurrence.
You’d be surprised how many older houses have a chase wall between the bathroom and whatever is behind it and there’s a gap in the subfloor there.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 PM

914 posts, read 644,680 times
this story just gives me the creeps. Shaving is such an intimate thing and to have a zillion razors of unknown people behind your wall is quite unsettling. like ghosts of the past.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
this story just gives me the creeps. Shaving is such an intimate thing and to have a zillion razors of unknown people behind your wall is quite unsettling. like ghosts of the past.
There's more. Those razor blades undoubtedly have whiskers as well as specks of blood and tiny pieces of human flesh. Voodoo practitioners routinely use these items in their diabolical rites. Further, the spirits of the dead will use these items as guideposts when they return to the land of the living to work their mischief. Do you have beacons for evil spirits behind your walls?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:15 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
This existed in my first house, a 1950's ranch house, and we found the pile of blades when we remodeled the bathroom. I knew we would because the original medicine cabinet was still there with the razor slot and I'd seen plenty of them in my childhood.

Finding things in walls can be fun. My dad did some minor remodeling to the house I grew up in, including tearing down and moving some interior walls. Someday people are going to find the Barrel of Monkeys game I put in one of them!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
In the old days, there was a slot in the medicine cabinet to drop the used razors behind the wall.
I guess I've been in some "old" houses, because I can definitely remember some I've stayed in and some that family members lived in that had this feature.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 AM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Visions of a really ticked off mouse coming out of a bathroom mouse hole, screaming "WTF is WRONG with you people!?!" as he holds his bleeding tail.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 AM

654 posts, read 633,175 times
Looking at those treacherous double edged blades in those pictures it is no wonder people did not want them in the trash stream, those things can literally open up an artery by accident. I cannot beleive that hipsters are wanting to go back to using those things. Sometimes there was a good reason old things fell by the wayside, and no longer should be used.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Someday people are going to find the Barrel of Monkeys game I put in one of them!
I've opened up a few walls in my house, and a ritual we have done with the kids is to seal up something in the wall when I close it back up. Might be a coffee can with some coins, trinkets, candy bar, etc, and then I put a cheap bottle of wine in the wall and close it up.

I've found many items in walls when doing work around the house. My grandmother's home was built in the 1890's and I can't even remember all the things I've found in that house. Coolest thing we have preserved are some timbers in the back corners where kids have written their initial with dates going back to the 1910's and through the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House