Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:50 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guess I’ll be the odd one here and admit I like those huge mirrors since they make the bathroom seem much bigger. They were definitely a luxury back in the day since many people then were used to settling for the tiny 18” medicine cabinets.
Imagine opening the shower curtain and seeing yourself in all your nekkid glory every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Imagine opening the shower curtain and seeing yourself in all your nekkid glory every day.

Yeah! Much better than those tiny medicine cabinet mirrors. Embrace your image, for heaven's sake, if you can't see yourself, how can you know what to work with? Quit buying into the silly idea of 'perfection' - expand that to include your naked self with a big smile and all kinds of freckles, warts, sags and wrinkles.

I think a big mirror deserves a huge smile and a butt shake at it, don't you? Everyone gets old and wrinkly, with a big mirror, it may remind you of the importance of kindness and a sunny smile?

Old 07-07-2019, 02:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Paneling projects are a long way off. We still haven’t fully unpacked and settled in completely. I inherited the home when my mom passed away. All my parents’ stuff was still here when we moved in. We’ve been getting approval from my sister on what we can throw, donate, or sell. Took time for my sister to begin letting go. First project is in the works. We have a leak on the A coils on the AC. Contractor has it on his list. This heat is making all the AC guys busy with emergency repairs. Our leak is small and Freon was filled last month. Next project is going to be more expensive. Have an electrician replace our breaker box and inspect the wires as replace as we can afford. Breaker box is a Federal Pacific and the wires are aluminum. After our bank account recovers from that then we’ll have a plumber look into our water lines. Very low pressure in bathroom but good pressure in laundry and kitchen. We also want a home cut off valve installed where we can easily reach. We’ve already had new insulation blown into the attic. Made a huge difference in home temperature. In the short term we’re going to get solar screens installed on all windows. Long term we’re going to replace all windows with double insulated windows (not cheap!). Smaller DIY projects include replacing weather stripping on exterior doors, install weather stripping on doors to water heater and AC, replace hinge pins on heavy exterior doors, install hinge pin mounted door stops on all doors, connect water line to refrigerator from under kitchen sink (15 feet away!), mom’s riding mower (repair or junk and buy new one), get new cover for inoperable brick gas fire place, I also have to do things in the master bedroom to make the room as dark as possible even in the brightest of days. I work rotating shifts and my wife and I occasionally (once or twice a month) have migraines. This would allow me to sleep in the day and give us a dark room to recover from the migraine.

Sorry you lost your mum. It's good you have her house to remember her by, though. So many times houses don't stay in the family.

Perhaps by the time you get all that done, you'll decide you like the big mirror and save so much effort?

We have some drapes in the bedroom facing the sun rise which have sun blocking lining, keeps the room nice and dark until we want to get up. Now if there was some way to keep those dratted roosters from crowing we'd be all good. Chicken soup cures crowing, but they aren't my roosters.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Removing the mirror won’t vanish your love handles or give you washboard abs. Just learn to embrace it, or hit the gym.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:13 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yeah! Much better than those tiny medicine cabinet mirrors. Embrace your image, for heaven's sake, if you can't see yourself, how can you know what to work with? Quit buying into the silly idea of 'perfection' - expand that to include your naked self with a big smile and all kinds of freckles, warts, sags and wrinkles.

I think a big mirror deserves a huge smile and a butt shake at it, don't you? Everyone gets old and wrinkly, with a big mirror, it may remind you of the importance of kindness and a sunny smile?
My wife hates her body for a very special reason. It’s a constant source of pain. Even when she had a good figure she still hated her body because of what it has put her through. For more than ten years now she has not had one day without constant pain from her several spinal conditions, nerve damage, and severe arthritis in both knees (she had a partial replacement at age 48). Some days when I ask her if she needs anything while I’m up she’ll say “a new body”.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
You may be able to use something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/RABBITGOO-Pri...%2C168&sr=8-48

I have used it on glass, but I’m not sure how it would look in a mirror. It takes patience to get the air bubbles out of it.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I highly doubt a glazier would be able to get it off in one piece. So living with it, or disguising it are probably the cheapest options. Even if they say they can get it off, it will be a "no guarantee" job ( as in, if it breaks coming off the wall, it is not their responsibility). It might be making the room look bigger, so taking it off may change the entire room.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Paneling projects are a long way off. We still haven’t fully unpacked and settled in completely. I inherited the home when my mom passed away. All my parents’ stuff was still here when we moved in. We’ve been getting approval from my sister on what we can throw, donate, or sell. Took time for my sister to begin letting go. First project is in the works. We have a leak on the A coils on the AC. Contractor has it on his list. This heat is making all the AC guys busy with emergency repairs. Our leak is small and Freon was filled last month. Next project is going to be more expensive. Have an electrician replace our breaker box and inspect the wires as replace as we can afford. Breaker box is a Federal Pacific and the wires are aluminum. After our bank account recovers from that then we’ll have a plumber look into our water lines. Very low pressure in bathroom but good pressure in laundry and kitchen. We also want a home cut off valve installed where we can easily reach. We’ve already had new insulation blown into the attic. Made a huge difference in home temperature. In the short term we’re going to get solar screens installed on all windows. Long term we’re going to replace all windows with double insulated windows (not cheap!). Smaller DIY projects include replacing weather stripping on exterior doors, install weather stripping on doors to water heater and AC, replace hinge pins on heavy exterior doors, install hinge pin mounted door stops on all doors, connect water line to refrigerator from under kitchen sink (15 feet away!), mom’s riding mower (repair or junk and buy new one), get new cover for inoperable brick gas fire place, I also have to do things in the master bedroom to make the room as dark as possible even in the brightest of days. I work rotating shifts and my wife and I occasionally (once or twice a month) have migraines. This would allow me to sleep in the day and give us a dark room to recover from the migraine.
My hub bought room darkening blinds from Depot for my daughters room plus I have a thick velvet type brown curtain that's lined from JC Penney; no light comes in her room. It's dark 24/7; heck even without the blinds the curtains were great on their own. I don't know if Penney's still sell room darkening curtains.

For the master I have 2 sets of curtains on the windows cause my hub goes to sleep at 3pm. I have room darkening curtains (more velour like my daughters but from Target) in the sitting area. Had my hub needed to sleep at 3pm when we moved in I would have gone with room darkening curtains from day 1. The sun is in our master all day just like my daughters room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House