Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:14 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about your thought process....how and why did you do it.

I'm thinking of doing it.
NOT permanently...just using a bedroom as a closet, with rolling garment racks, etc.

Right now there are beds in there. I really don't get many guests, at all. Hardly any visitors ever.
It's a 3 bedroom house so I would have another guest room anyway.
Yet I'm still struggling mentally with the decision.

MY angst aside...(about being one person in a 3 BR house and not having enough closet space for my hoard of clothing)...

....how and why did you turn an entire bedroom into a large walk-in.

Pictures would be great to if you have any to share.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 04:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I
Older house with few closets while the smallest bedroom went unused.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:08 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
I don’t think your going get many actual responses from those who have done this, however it’s easily done and I know of one friend who has done this, successfully. It’s almost impossible to make a recommendation without knowing the actual layout of your room. Closet location, window and the entry door location with dimensions.

A typical narrow walk-in has clothing racks on the left and right (his & hers ) with accessory/shoe cubbies on the end wall and often a full length mirror if the room is large enough. In your case since it’s a bedroom and probably has a window and closet, you will need to design around those but I would guess you could come up with a decent layout.

For my liking, a good walk-in is one where you can stand in one spot and have a clear view of all of your clothes and shoes!

Old 03-07-2020, 05:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
It can easily be done. The real question is do you really need to keep all that stuff? You must know you won't ever wear most of it ever again.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:47 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
^^ This is true....but....

I'm also just curious about design transformations in general. And the thought process that goes into decisions like this. That's why if anyone has pictures of their converted beroom-into-a-sized walk-in -closet I'd love to see it.

And even though I'm struggling with my decision, I tend to believe in using a space for whatever you need it to be for a given person or family.
Especially if it's just a USE issue, with no structural changes, why not? Space is space. For example, people who use dining rooms or bedrooms as dedicated offices.

In my case, the room is about 8'x12'. I'd just roll in some garment racks, and free standing armoires. Put in a chair on bench to sit on, etc.

Designer Christoper Lowell (who was on TV decades ago) really got me to thinking about using the space for what you need, not what the builder thought the room should be.

My decision struggle may be about trying to fit all my clothes in the existing closet space. (After all I am one person in a 3BR house and still don't have enough closet space. That on its face could mean I have too many clothes.) But that aside, I'm still interested in how people have used "bedrooms' as large closets in their homes.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Go to Youtube and search "bedroom into closet" if you need examples.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:53 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
My daughter previously lived in a new house with a giant walk-in closet in the master. She just bought a 1960's era house which just has reach-in closets. She is turning one of the bedrooms into a closet/craft room. You are not alone.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:56 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
My house was built in the early 80s and has a "sitting room". It's actually a room that is only accessed thru my bedroom (it has french doors) and it is huge. It's bigger than one of my actual bedrooms. I love it because I love having a bedroom with just a bed and nightstands. Not having dressers (there's 2 of us) in there makes the room feel so relaxing.

Anyway, it has shelving along the ceiling where I store out-of-season clothing and luggage, it has a built-in bookcase that I use for accessories, shoes, hats, etc. My must-have is a full-length mirror so I can see my entire outfit, head to toe. I highly suggest one if you don't have it already. I also have a dresser in there, too.

The key for me is to keep stuff off of the floor. It either goes on a shelf, a built-in, or a dresser.

The great part about the space are the windows so it has alot more light than a walk-in closet. I'm sure your room does, too, as it's a bedroom and not actually a closet.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:07 AM

12,842 posts, read 867,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm curious about your thought process....how and why did you do it.

I'm thinking of doing it.
NOT permanently...just using a bedroom as a closet, with rolling garment racks, etc.

Right now there are beds in there. I really don't get many guests, at all. Hardly any visitors ever.
It's a 3 bedroom house so I would have another guest room anyway.
Yet I'm still struggling mentally with the decision.

MY angst aside...(about being one person in a 3 BR house and not having enough closet space for my hoard of clothing)...

Pictures would be great to if you have any to share.

Thanks.
I'm trying to figure out why you are feeling angst over this. You said "NOT permanently" and that you "have another guest room anyway"; so I'm confused by your doubts and anxiety over this. You already figured it out so just go for it. It's your house and your extra bedroom. Have fun!

Old 03-07-2020, 11:21 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Oh, I only wish I had enough clothes to convert a bedroom into a closet!

My issue is too many bedrooms, too few clothes.

I've seen some nice dressing-room conversions, with a fancy free-standing full-length mirror, comfortable seating, high-end cabinetry, crystal chandeliers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House