Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2020, 01:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,025,741 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best solution to kill carpenter ants I'm finding in the downstairs bathroom (near our garage) in our house. I've dealt with carpenter ants before but these ones have wings and they don't seem to be attracted to the terro liquid ant bait traps I've used in the past which previously worked really well at our old property.
We have young kids (5 & 3) so I'm looking for something I can use that's ok to stick in the corner of the bathroom, etc.
For what it's worth, we're renting currently and I've notified the leasing company that they probably have a carpenter ant problem with the property. I'm just looking for something in the meantime to kill the ants I'm finding in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 02:21 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,172,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Looking for the best solution to kill carpenter ants I'm finding in the downstairs bathroom (near our garage) in our house. I've dealt with carpenter ants before but these ones have wings and they don't seem to be attracted to the terro liquid ant bait traps I've used in the past which previously worked really well at our old property.
We have young kids (5 & 3) so I'm looking for something I can use that's ok to stick in the corner of the bathroom, etc.
For what it's worth, we're renting currently and I've notified the leasing company that they probably have a carpenter ant problem with the property. I'm just looking for something in the meantime to kill the ants I'm finding in the bathroom.
From what I've read about carpenter ants, the ones with wings are "swarmers", not workers. They may not be attracted to or eat bait because their "purpose" is to mate and disperse to found new colonies. Workers eat or bring food (like bait) back to the colony. Talk to a professional about how to get rid of the swarmers. Maybe some sort of physical trap?

Old 10-07-2020, 02:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,025,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
From what I've read about carpenter ants, the ones with wings are "swarmers", not workers. They may not be attracted to or eat bait because their "purpose" is to mate and disperse to found new colonies. Workers eat or bring food (like bait) back to the colony. Talk to a professional about how to get rid of the swarmers. Maybe some sort of physical trap?
Good info. And it seems to be in line with what I've experienced as well. The terro traps seemed to work really well in the past for the worker ants but these "swarmers" are not interested in the traps. First I've encountered this before.
Spoke to the leasing company and they are going to have a professional service come out but not sure when.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:28 AM

8 posts, read 7,863 times
Pretty much all flying bugs (including flying carpenter ants) are attracted to light so a bug zapper would be a good option, especially if you can keep the rest of the room dark. Swarmers mean you probably have a sizable infestation.

Another thing you should consider is why carpenter ants were infesting your home in the first place... that usually means you have damp wood somewhere in your home which likely means a leak. Check your attic/roof/etc.

It's possible the pros killed the colony, but another one might replace it if you don't fix the underlying issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House