Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:56 AM

192 posts, read 219,163 times

Advertisements

I have a constant odor that comes from my kitchen sink
It’s double sink, garbage disposal on one side

I have tried everything vinegar baking soda bleach lemons ice cubes on both sides

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions

Thankyou in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 10:26 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Have you cleaned the rubber pleated thingie that fits in the garbage disposal hole? I have no idea what it's called. Anyway, some of them are removable and some not. Obviously the removable ones are easier to clean - just pull out, wash all the nooks and crannies and pop it back in. The permanent ones are just a little trickier but it's well worth it.

Mine had a funky smell that I couldn't figure out - then I cleaned the rubber thingie. Now I wash it about once a week with hot soapy water. Problem solved.

If that doesn't do it, try the commercial garbage disposal cleaner packets. I get mine at the grocery store. Easy to dump in there according to the instructions and it gives the whole disposal and drain area a good cleansing. It will foam up through the second sink too. Good stuff!

Hope that helps.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 5,795 times
Could be sewer gases coming up from exit drain up through your p-trap under the sink. The p-trap is intended to trap sewer gases by keeping a certain amount of water in the p-trap to block the gases. But sometimes in effort to fit the p-trap in a tight space, you might see bad configurations for the pipes connecting to/from the p-trap, which basically can cause it to not have the proper water 'seal' in place. Otherwise, even if the p-trap configuration is okay, it could be that you have some trapped waste in it- for example, 'accordion-style, slinky-style' pipes are notorious for trapping gunk in the pipes. If you get a chance, you might want to post a pic here of the pipes under your sink (or look for some videos regarding bad p-trap installations, etc.). Luckily, it's usually easy to unscrew a p-trap to at least get the built-up gunk out of it. But if it's a bad configuration, then you might have to address the p-trap configuration if it's sewer gases coming up from the drain. Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-26-2022, 09:15 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
I have a constant odor that comes from my kitchen sink
It’s double sink, garbage disposal on one side

I have tried everything vinegar baking soda bleach lemons ice cubes on both sides

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions

Thankyou in advance

What’s the smell?
Food, mold- organic in nature? Or, does it have a chemical/petroleum type odor?
How old is the house/sink?

Old 10-27-2022, 04:03 AM

192 posts, read 219,163 times
Hello
Thankyou for repliesI can’t really describe the smell, I guess more on the sweet side or very slight sewer

But the house was built in 1937 however a new addition in 2016 which is where the kitchen is located so the sink and pipes under are 6 years old

Than you

Old 10-27-2022, 05:09 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Slap some bleach down it.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:12 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
Hello
Thankyou for repliesI can’t really describe the smell, I guess more on the sweet side or very slight sewer

But the house was built in 1937 however a new addition in 2016 which is where the kitchen is located so the sink and pipes under are 6 years old

Than you
We recently moved into an 80’s house. There is an unpleasant smell from the kitchen sink that we narrowed down to the well water. After using the water for about a month, most of the sulfur smell has disappeared. We decided to purchase a whole house filter especially for well water. Regardless of your water supply, a filter might work for you, it will get rid of odor causing bacteria in the water.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Non-diluted bleach poured down the drain usually helps, but do it just before you retire at night and do not run any water down the sink until the next day.

If all else fails, there are some products on Amazon that can be used to remove the worst pet odours in flooring, furniture, etc. You could try one of those. I used to use one called "Out Right." I do not know if they make it anymore.

It would not hurt to ask the city to check the sewer, too.

It is important to clean the drains regularly. If you pour down a cup of bleach once per month, that should go a long way in helping to eradicate odours.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:00 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
What I do is to run hot hot water down there, then a whole bunch of dish detergent (turning the water to just a trickle) and run the disposal to froth it up and sling it around.

I'm assuming OP's problem is the same one I solve by this: food particles adhering to the inside of the disposall (as well as the underside of the rubber flap assembly) and rotting.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:16 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
If the house is on a well and septic- I would not pour straight bleach down the sink to rid of any odors. That's really not good for a septic system.

My wife runs citrus rinds and ice cubes around the disposal to rid of unpleasant odors.

If the house sat vacant for a while before you bought it- I wonder if the trap ran dry and you had a backflow of smelly stuff. That happens if I let the drain go dry in our cellar utility room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House