Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 02:50 PM

120 posts, read 114,643 times

Advertisements

I woke up and noticed my shower faucet valve is broken. Who did it? I don't know. The kid says not meeee. lol I think it just broke from being old and rusty, who knows.

I don't know what to do because I can't remove anything to replace the faucet. It looks like the part that is supposed to be sticking out of the wall broke. I am not sure the faucet handle is supposed to have the long piece attached to it. I used E6000 glue it did not work. I pulled it right off. Is glue the solution (maybe a stronger one?) Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix broken shower faucet?-img_6637.jpg   How to fix broken shower faucet?-img_6641.jpg   How to fix broken shower faucet?-img_6640.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 03:11 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Hard to tell what the real problem is, but glue is definitely not the solution.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:36 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Hard to tell what the real problem is, but glue is definitely not the solution.

no.

But it's just old and corroded and worn out. The whole deal there likely needs to be replaced.

I haven't done one of those myself before.. I'd say.. Time for a plumber.

But, I'm sure you can find a youtube video showing how to change one of those out

Old 11-04-2022, 03:39 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I've not done it myself but it can be replaced. I think the important part is you need to get one from the same company. So don't replace a Delta with a Moen, etc.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:19 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I've not done it myself but it can be replaced. I think the important part is you need to get one from the same company. So don't replace a Delta with a Moen, etc.

The handle CAN.. If the internals aren't damaged.. And from the looks of the corrosion there and.. From the photo.. It looks like not only the handle but the 'gearing' inside is likely damaged, which is why I think the whole thing needs to be replaced. Of course.. I'm just looking at a photo, and, that's not the same as seeing it 'live'

All this being said, at the end of the day.. The kid or whoever was in there last was just the unlucky one that it broke on. They didn't cause it.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:20 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yep, valve trims must be the same brand as the valve and made for that model. For example, Moen Moentrol trims are not compatible with Posi-Temp valves and vice-versa. That valve looks like it might be a Moen Posi-Temp judging from its appearance, but I can't say it with 100% certainty.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I cannot get behind to change. Even a plumber may need to cut the plastic part of the shower wall.
I checked and yes it is a Moen. Below are pics after removing everything.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix broken shower faucet?-img_6643.jpg   How to fix broken shower faucet?-img_6642.jpg  

Old 11-04-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Yep, valve trims must be the same brand as the valve and made for that model. For example, Moen Moentrol trims are not compatible with Posi-Temp valves and vice-versa. That valve looks like it might be a Moen Posi-Temp judging from its appearance, but I can't say it with 100% certainty.
You are correct it is a Moen.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The handle CAN.. If the internals aren't damaged.. And from the looks of the corrosion there and.. From the photo.. It looks like not only the handle but the 'gearing' inside is likely damaged, which is why I think the whole thing needs to be replaced. Of course.. I'm just looking at a photo, and, that's not the same as seeing it 'live'

All this being said, at the end of the day.. The kid or whoever was in there last was just the unlucky one that it broke on. They didn't cause it.
I included new photos. Hopefully you can see now. Thanks

Old 11-04-2022, 05:04 PM

463 posts, read 285,617 times
I am no plumber, but maybe just the cartridge needs to be replaced. I had that with mine, the shaft going into the wall broke. There was a clip that held the cartridge in and the whole thing slid out. Moen guarantees these for life. New cartridge cost me zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House