Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 03:33 PM

454 posts, read 448,145 times

Advertisements

Hey all. So my family found out that in the basement, there are lot of termites. We had no idea about this earlier until we saw it. Basically there are lot of boxes downstairs in the basement and they are there.

Does anyone have recommendations for any sprays or products that might work? I checked amazon and these seem to be rated good. The first one seem to have the best reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Carpent...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-T...termite+killer

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Carpent...=terro+termite

https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advance...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-T300B-2...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Does anyone have advice on this? We spoke to some people and they said if you have termites, you would need an inspector and that would obviously cost a lot of money. But for the first product, people seem to say it works really good. But are these temporary solutions? The thing is i can't seem to find the first product anywhere online such as home deposit, lowes, staples, target or any place where i could just go to the store and buy it. Thus its like amazon.com is the only place to buy it.

The other products, you could get it at home depot certain ones.

Anyone have recommendations/tips on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 PM

24,486 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Please get a professional. Depending on your location you will have to disclose the infestation an remedy when selling.

Clean the basement out asap, remove that food source.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 PM

454 posts, read 448,145 times
Understood. But i read reviews on amazon where people say this product fixed the issue without a professional. Thus we want to try it out to see if it has any effect.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
If you can get to the wood, you can treat it with Boracare.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
The problem isn't just with the termites you see, it extends to the termites you don't see. Seriously, I would hire a professional on this. Termites can crawl through a crack in the foundation the width of a sheet of paper. Next thing you know, they come up inside the wall and you never knew they were there.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,557 times
I'm not a professional but termite treatment is done by pumping a lot of chemicals in the ground to create a shield of sorts. If you have a termite issue, sprays like you would use to chase around ants or hornets are not the way to solve it. Denver is right. They create mud tubes and infest/eat through walls, wood framing, woodwork, etc.

Look for hollowed out woodwork where there is only a thin veneer left with swathes of the wood eaten out. Feel around the woodwork for soft spots. Look for any signs of mud/dirt in drywall areas or wood. Again, feel around in the corners of rooms and other places. Any areas that feel soft and hollow are possibly compromised by termites right below the surface. Termites are good at leaving a just the surface veneer that can hide heaps of damage right beneath. Sometimes that 'veneer' is paper thin and will crumble when touched. They are sneaky buggers.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
You want to use Bifen. It's the absolute safest termiticide out there. You can cut it down into a spray for household use as well. No super toxic fumes to deal with but it does have a slight order to it. Once dry, it will last up to a year and kill everything that comes in contact with it that is an insect. Harmless to dogs and cats once it dries. Read, understand and follow the directions on the label. The solution is dangerous as is any poison. Once dry, it's harmless to you. Wear protective clothing and once you are finished spraying, wash the clothes in hot water with a quality detergent.
I use it as a once a year general spray around the outside of the house. I have no bugs at all. There are mixing instructions on the bottle for a general spray as well as for termites. I use approximately 1 ounce per 1000 sq ft of yard for a general spray.
https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-Bifenth.../dp/B0046DN72K

Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Anteater

Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 PM

69 posts, read 93,726 times
Termites are very common in my area and they need to be taken seriously. If left untreated they can do $1,000s worth of damage to your home and even compromise its integrity. There are some home fixes you can do on your own but termites is not one I would suggest. A termite company will likely drill holes around your property and insert the chemicals to kill the termites. They will then come back yearly to inspect if any new infestation has occurred. I believe these treatments should last about 10 years if done correctly and cost around $1,000. Again take this seriously or it could cost you much more down the road.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Understood. But i read reviews on amazon where people say this product fixed the issue without a professional. Thus we want to try it out to see if it has any effect.
You trust unknown people from Amazon who probably sell the product themselves?
I lived in Florida and we had to tent the whole building. Your Local ordinances may require it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House