Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times

Advertisements

SunSetter Awnings - Retractable Deck and Patio Awning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I agree it would be ideal to get that but I'm working with a teeny weeny budget. If that changes, I will get one for sure!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
try shadetreecanopies - they aren't mechanized but look very nice and are adaptable, plus you can push them back when you want. I was thinking of these for a while, but never acted on it.

I agree, the paver/formed building blocks would make nice planters and vines would hide a lot.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks Tesaje! They really look like the perfect solution to what I need (cover in the summer and more light in the winter). I know Harry Chickpea said that fabric wears out but maybe I can take them completely off in the winter and spare them some wear and tear in the rain. Definitely going to look into it!

I actually saw them in a magazine yesterday installed inside a very expensive high-end sunroom to block the sun. It looked gorgeous!

Just curious what did you end up choosing instead?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Thanks Tesaje! They really look like the perfect solution to what I need (cover in the summer and more light in the winter). I know Harry Chickpea said that fabric wears out but maybe I can take them completely off in the winter and spare them some wear and tear in the rain. Definitely going to look into it!

I actually saw them in a magazine yesterday installed inside a very expensive high-end sunroom to block the sun. It looked gorgeous!

Just curious what did you end up choosing instead?
I was thinking of covering my deck, but never did anything at all. I tried the big umbrellas but gave up on them after winds broke the stem on the 3rd one. I just have too many other projects to have gotten to that one and now I pretty much need a new deck anyway.

The fabric is sun treated but I supposed eventually it would die. But then again so does most everything.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Now that you mention it, I guess it is impressive that this ugly metal awning is 49 years old and still standing strong! (even if it is really funky looking)

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
I think you'll enjoy that awning if you'll just get some plants and furniture out there. I don't do sun so I can only use my deck early mornings and late afternoons.

Every house has it's own character. I think that the best renovating takes what's there and goes with it... instead of ripping it all out. I see so much potential in your picture. I would buy a few items that go with the age of the house when decorating ... have fun with it!

Retro is very in and in California I bet you can find lots of vintage shops to find cool 50's and 60's stuff!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-24-2008 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:43 AM

If you do build paver planting boxes around the those posts, I would suggest you build a cavity right next to them with some air space to keep them from rusting out. As much as you may dislike that awning, having it collapse on you would be worse.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
You should just remove it, I saw online some good options for patio covers. Try looking under Google. What would you be intereseted in? I found an adjustable patio cover online. Look under [URL="http://www.patiocover.us"]www.patiocover.us[/URL]. Do you like something like dat? I think it looks really good, and they may help your backyard look amazing. Not only that but its adjustable and you can definetly control the sunlight.

Let me know if you search that up

Also I agree if you put this up under Garden you'll definetly have more answers.. Good LUck!!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccd4 View Post
You should just remove it, I saw online some good options for patio covers. Try looking under Google. What would you be intereseted in? I found an adjustable patio cover online. Look under [URL="http://www.patiocover.us"]www.patiocover.us[/URL]. Do you like something like dat? I think it looks really good, and they may help your backyard look amazing. Not only that but its adjustable and you can definetly control the sunlight.

Let me know if you search that up

Also I agree if you put this up under Garden you'll definetly have more answers.. Good LUck!!
I had to search this! You're right this does look wonderful! We have an open deck outside of our back yard door, and its a good space for sitting are, BBQ's etc. Now I definetly Know what to do with that space. Im going to have to research this Solara Product, it looks greate! A very good option for covering my space.

Thanks MCCD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House