Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times

Advertisements

I'm just kind of new to stuff like this so please bear with me. This summer I started to have a leak in my upstairs ceiling when my (upstairs) AC was turned on. Both of my air conditioners (basement and attic) are from '92 and I had been recently told I should plan to replace them in the next couple of years due to freon regulations. Anyhow, when the person examined my leak, he declared that it was not fixable, that there was no "secondary pan" (this was noted in the home inspection) and the leak was due to corrosion in some area that couldn't be found. I had previously been told that each of my AC units would be around $3000 to replace, but this guy said they were running a special for $10,000. I said, huh, for both? and he answered that that was for one set of furnace/AC. Ugh, I don't know. I was overwhelmed. Am I ultimately looking at $20,000 to replace my basement and attic units? If I don't replace my upstairs AC, is there any reason the furnace won't work in the winter? Sorry for my complete ignorance here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I'm just kind of new to stuff like this so please bear with me. This summer I started to have a leak in my upstairs ceiling when my (upstairs) AC was turned on. Both of my air conditioners (basement and attic) are from '92 and I had been recently told I should plan to replace them in the next couple of years due to freon regulations. Anyhow, when the person examined my leak, he declared that it was not fixable, that there was no "secondary pan" (this was noted in the home inspection) and the leak was due to corrosion in some area that couldn't be found. I had previously been told that each of my AC units would be around $3000 to replace, but this guy said they were running a special for $10,000. I said, huh, for both? and he answered that that was for one set of furnace/AC. Ugh, I don't know. I was overwhelmed. Am I ultimately looking at $20,000 to replace my basement and attic units? If I don't replace my upstairs AC, is there any reason the furnace won't work in the winter? Sorry for my complete ignorance here ...
Someone is trying to rip you off! I'm in the A/C business... secondary drain pans can be replaced and the freon rule changes will not go into effect until 2020. 20K to jreplace units..in and out x 2 is ridiculously high!

Last edited by wileynj; 08-17-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM

... that is a relief, I guess! This company had the best ratings on angieslist. The first tech who had refilled my freon a few weeks before the leak had basically been saying "don't put too much money into these systems because you will have to replace them". That makes some sense, but still ...

Old 08-17-2008, 12:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Uh...I dont know what type of house you have but I know it didnt cost my parents 20,000bucks to get a central ac unit and a new furnace. The both run through the same ducts. A long rubber hose was put in for water...
ANd I dont know what I am talking about either....lol
But do not it wasnt as much as down payment on a new home...

I would get a couple of opinions from other heating and cooling guys in your area.
They can smell the "clueless" on you if they are shady business people.

I always start out with " i dont have much money" and its true...but lol
It keeps people cheap.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Your furnace upstairs will work if the A/C isn't. The A/C portion is just a coil. Do some research on-line regarding various units out today. If money is tight..do one first then save some money up for the second unit. My guess... both units are around 3 ton each? What size is your home?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM

What You Should Know about Refrigerants When Purchasing or Repairing a Residential A/C System or Heat Pump | Ozone Depletion - Regulatory Programs | U.S. EPA

Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM

My home is about 3800 square feet including basement. I'm in one of the fancy areas of town, but only because housing values are very low here, so that could be one reason they're assuming I can afford this. I guess the word for me is "house poor" - nice house, 10 year old car with check engine light on lol.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
My home is about 3800 square feet including basement. I'm in one of the fancy areas of town, but only because housing values are very low here, so that could be one reason they're assuming I can afford this. I guess the word for me is "house poor" - nice house, 10 year old car with check engine light on lol.
Less basement..around 2500 sf living space? That would be around a 2.5 ton unit per floor. Gas or electric heat? Definately get other quotes.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Yes, about 2500 without basement. Gas heat. I'll definitely get other quotes, but this is not a time when I can afford huge ticket items. I might just opt for a window unit next summer, etc. We've been living downstairs and sleeping in the basement all summer.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
know what just what brand did you want? Trane is good, however so are lots more.
Just call for more estimates, and check with neighbors, and the better business bureau.
Freon will be here for many years if you do have that unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House