Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following activities would bother you, if your next-door neighbor was to do them?
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Leave kid's toys outside 49 16.33%
Work on trucks / cars in the open 51 17.00%
Plant a vegetable garden in plain view 18 6.00%
Plant a vegetable garden out of plain view, but within your view 7 2.33%
Change their shades to an unconventional color 20 6.67%
Change their house color to an unconventional color 103 34.33%
Install lawn ornaments 50 16.67%
Install a large roof-top antenna 58 19.33%
Install a ham radio antenna tower (50 - 70' tall) 129 43.00%
Leave a car or RV parked outside 49 16.33%
Leave a boat parked outside 66 22.00%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, out of plain view 71 23.67%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, within plain view 181 60.33%
Regularly run a loud car audio system with heavy bass 245 81.67%
Run a small cafe from their house 159 53.00%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice during daytime hours 217 72.33%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice at night 250 83.33%
Install political protest signs in plain street view 79 26.33%
Put up a flag in plain street view 9 3.00%
Drink on their front porch 30 10.00%
Smoke cigarettes on their front porch 39 13.00%
Smoke weed on their front porch 153 51.00%
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Have a garage sale 15 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

Since we're going to rant about "grammar police," let me educate you a little bit.

Right is right, wrong is wrong. Period. It may not be a life or death matter, but still, if you're right you're right, if you're wrong you're wrong. (By the way, it's "you're wrong," NOT "your" wrong, which I see all of the time.) We are talking about facts here. If correcting someone on the FACTS has now become taboo, well excuse the heck out of me. You should take it as a learning opportunity, rather than being defensive when someone points out that you are factually wrong about something.

Think about it. If you were discussing basketball and someone wrote "LeBron Jones," would you be a "basketball Nazi" or whatever for clarifying that it's LeBron James not Jones? If you were discussing golf and someone wrote "Lion Woods," are you being an uptight goody two shoes or whatever for correcting someone on the correct name of "Tiger Woods?" If someone says "I'm considering a Subara Civic" and you correct them that it's a Honda Civic, has that now become touché to correct someone on? Heaven help up. This is nothing different.

This may not be English 101, but what's the point of learning what proper English is if you don't consistently apply it? What next, is someone the "math Nazi" if you buy something that's $7 and you give a $10 bill and you receive $4 in change and someone points out that you received $1 too many? If someone says "I was researching some information on Thomas Jefferson, the 1st president of the USA," and someone points out that it was in fact George Washington who was the 1st president of the USA, is that acceptable? If someone says "what year did Aaron Burr shoot John Adams in a duel?" and you point out that it was in fact Alexander Hamilton who was shot, is that okay?

These are facts. It may not seem like a big deal, but it is a FACT that "parent's" used in the context in which it was is incorrect. I see this sort of apostrophe mistakes all of the time, more commonly in the past few years, and I know what the truth is, so I point it out. That's all.

We may not be in a college course here, but so what? I take pride in using proper English almost ALL of the time, even in casual social situations. On occasion sure I may use "jive talk" or such, but I otherwise make a point to use proper English all of the time, even in text messages. It's called using your education. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, I realize that it was a different era, but I learned how to type in a typing class and in word processing, and at that time almost all typing was for formal business communication and correspondence, or typing up formal term papers in college etc. This was before the Internet existed, even in dial-up form. Thus, once I started using the Internet, my keyboarding in transitioning over to that kept the formal language in the transition.

Granted, younger people haven't done that, still, as I said, even in informal situations I like the idea of using proper English and grammar. It matters, else, why teach it?

No one is trying to belittle anybody, only to educate. If I make a mistake in grammar usage, feel free to correct me, that's fine. If I mention Dallas as being the capital of Texas by mistake, feel free to clarify that Austin is in fact the capital of Texas. When you're wrong, you are, accept it and move on. Crying fowl just makes you look like you are saying that standards and the pursuit of excellence don't matter, suggesting downright laziness and the embracing of ignorance.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-14-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Hmmmm . . . interesting.

Folks are getting frustrated - and going off-topic - with each other over a thread that was started in 2008.

Wait! Wait! Let me get the popcorn!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It says you misspelled a word or made a mistake, and someone pointed out to you. That's no different than someone saying "I really hate that song by Britney Hears" and you say "Britney Spears" because, whether accidental or whatever, they said the wrong word. You're simply clarifying what's right, nothing meant by it.

You don't deal with both equally because one comes from a human, one comes from an animal. I stand by my assertion, in large part because I've read in numerous places that dog barking is the #1 complaint neighbors have with each other. This tells me there are a lot of people that find that noise aggravating, and that a lot of dog owners don't care.

Obviously they are handled differently, I don't recall the city making a parent get rid of their child, whereas they will seize your dog if you don't keep it quiet. Obviously THEY see a difference.

In case you haven't read the news, there are instances where neighbors have shot or poisoned a neighbor's dog, and they found later that the reason was that there had been problems such as barking and the one complaining had basically been told to stick it. The news naturally is all sympathetic towards the pet owner, and pretty much ONLY the pet owner.

Guess what--I would not do such a thing, yet at the same time I don't have much sympathy for the pet owner at all in those situations. I think they pretty much ASKED for it, and if someone is going to be charged with animal cruelty, it should be them. They were TOLD over and over that their dog yapping at everything from A to Zinc was bothering the neighbor, and they did nothing. They got what they deserved if you ask me. The neighbor wasn't "psycho," they were protecting their property from trespassing after having ASKED previously in a nice way but being told to stick it. So stick it they did.

And it's all because of a bunch of animal rights wackos that think animals are equal in importance to people. Allow me to elaborate a bit more.

I don't see how you compare me to "animal rights wackos" when I dare suggest that someone be allowed to have domestic pets on their own property. Especially when the problem is you.

You clearly hate dogs. You equate a dog barking at you to a sexual assault. That is highly offensive, especially to actual victims of sexual assault. You say you have a disorder that is not accepted by any scientific or medical body, other than Wikipedia. You are OCD to the point where you write long posts over a misplaced apostrophe. You think it is justified to kill an animal that has done nothing but annoy you. You clearly have some sort of mental illness, which is fine, but you really should not expect people to cater to your issues.

Woe be unto the person who kills my dog for barking. The law will be the least of their problems.

As for your idea that we own this planet and can do what we wish, I don't think that it is "wacko" to think we need to live in harmony with the organisms that share the planet with us. I do not think animals have more rights than people, but as the smartest ones on this planet we have the responsibility to care for it.

In any case, you are either trolling or have a serious mental illness. I refuse to argue anymore with either. I truly feel sorry for your neighbors and I hope you get the help you need.

Good night.

Last edited by Niceguy17; 05-14-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
All of these would bother me but I hate to see kid's toys left outside. When I was house hunting, I went to look at a house and the first thing I noticed upon pulling up to the property were the kid's toys left outside the neighbor's house. I made a U-turn and never looked back. I absolutley cannot stand that.

Another major pet peeve of mine that is not on the list are neighbors that don't maintain their property. Overgown grass, shrubs, etc drive me nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think i hate to see the "basketball hoop" thing outside someone home. To me, that means I am going to have to hear boys screaming and a bouncing ball, that, would be totally annoying. Total deal breaker.

Anything that makes a noise i hate is a problem, as far as seeing sometning, not so much. i dont have to look.
I don't really appreciate unnecessary noise or neighborhoods that are messy looking, so while we were researching for our relocation we paid close attention to those things. We chose to buy in an HOA community with reasonable restrictions because we didn't want the rules to be too rigid, but we also didn't want to deal with cars on the lawn, hot pink shutters, knee high grass, blaring music, etc. I guess it all boils down to what you're comfortable with and that's different for everyone.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
I don't see how you compare me to "animal rights wackos" when I dare suggest that someone be allowed to have domestic pets on their own property. Especially when the problem is you.
The problem is people who don't keep their dogs quiet. That laws are written regarding the nuisance it creates strongly suggests I'm hardly the only own that finds the noise distressing.

Quote:
You clearly hate dogs. You equate a dog barking at you to a sexual assault. That is highly offensive, especially to actual victims of sexual assault. You say you have a disorder that is not accepted by any scientific or medical body, other than Wikipedia. You are OCD to the point where you write long posts over a misplaced apostrophe. You think it is justified to kill an animal that has done nothing but annoy you. You clearly have some sort of mental illness, which is fine, but you really should not expect people to cater to your issues.
I don't dislike dogs, I dislike disobedient dogs, which is actually the owner's doing. I don't like going to a park and someone failing to control a large 60 pound dog and it charging at my children from 150 feet away and intimidating them--and then the owner not fixing the problem. And yes, I dislike barking, besides being noisy it's a dog voicing its opinion when I could give a flipping s`h-i`t less what it thinks when it's dumber than even a mentally ill human. Even blue collar comedian Bill Engvall joked about how dogs are stupid.

Do your research, and you will find that misophonia is becoming recognized as a legitimate diagnosis. It doesn't mean a person is CRAZY, it means that they are hard-wired in their nervous system to where they absolutely cannot tolerate the particular sounds they're sensitive to. Besides, again, laws were written to address the noise issue, clearly suggesting that even people who don't have misophonia don't like having to tolerate the noise.

Sorry if my clarification on the proper usage of apostrophes is seen as obsessive. It's called striving for excellence and correctness. I see that you didn't take it as a learning opportunity, but as a reason to choose to be offended. You chose poorly.

Quote:
Woe be unto the person who kills my dog for barking. The law will be the least of their problems.
If you don't want that outcome as a possibility, then train it to not bark. Period. Problem solved.

Quote:
As for your idea that we own this planet and can do what we wish, I don't think that it is "wacko" to think we need to live in harmony with the organisms that share the planet with us. I do not think animals have more rights than people, but as the smartest ones on this planet we have the responsibility to care for it.
It is "wacko" if you ask for someone to tolerate an animal that is causing them problems, whether it's a neighbor's dog barking, a woodpecker drilling holes into your house, mountain lions attacking joggers etc. I have no problem with wildlife refuges and the like, and that in such environments people should absolutely respect that domain. People around here like to hunt, whereas I'm content to leave the deer, squirrels and the birds alone; they cause me no problems, so I just leave them be.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
We had this duscussion with you over in the Automotive forum. Your a sicko and a whackjob that wants dogs and their owners to die just because they annoy you. Well, let me respond in kind: you annoy me, you should die now.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
We had this duscussion with you over in the Automotive forum. Your a sicko and a whackjob that wants dogs and their owners to die just because they annoy you. Well, let me respond in kind: you annoy me, you should die now.
First-off, that would be "you're a sicko" not "your a sicko." Your would be used in the context of "Your car is nice." Again, not trying to insult anybody, but merely to educate. These are facts of the matter. You'll thank me when you get this sort of thing correct on your résumé and cover letter etc.

As for the actual issue--no, I do NOT want dogs and/or their owners to die, I just want the barking to be minimal, especially when it's trespassing onto my property, and I think that dog owners sometimes do a poor job of controlling their dog's roaming behavior, to the point that dogs can chase joggers or bother children etc. I have said that if someone shoots a dog in self defense if it tries to bite them while they're jogging etc that such should be completely legal. As for barking--I have seen in the news etc where neighbors have shot or poisoned dogs and it came out later that they had complained to the neighbors and animal control etc about nuisance barking but came up empty, and when that's the case, they shouldn't be the one prosecuted for animal cruelty but the OWNER should be.

The real solution to that--the laws need to be written to where animal control takes such complaints seriously and doesn't tell suffering neighbors "dogs bark" or "there's nothing we can do," especially when seemingly 95% of the time they WILL respond if it's a stereo or the like. Dogs don't deserve special protection just because people love them so freaking much.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
First-off, that would be "you're a sicko" not "your a sicko." Your would be used in the context of "Your car is nice." Again, not trying to insult anybody, but merely to educate. These are facts of the matter. You'll thank me when you get this sort of thing correct on your résumé and cover letter etc.

As for the actual issue--no, I do NOT want dogs and/or their owners to die, I just want the barking to be minimal, especially when it's trespassing onto my property, and I think that dog owners sometimes do a poor job of controlling their dog's roaming behavior, to the point that dogs can chase joggers or bother children etc. I have said that if someone shoots a dog in self defense if it tries to bite them while they're jogging etc that such should be completely legal. As for barking--I have seen in the news etc where neighbors have shot or poisoned dogs and it came out later that they had complained to the neighbors and animal control etc about nuisance barking but came up empty, and when that's the case, they shouldn't be the one prosecuted for animal cruelty but the OWNER should be.

The real solution to that--the laws need to be written to where animal control takes such complaints seriously and doesn't tell suffering neighbors "dogs bark" or "there's nothing we can do," especially when seemingly 95% of the time they WILL respond if it's a stereo or the like. Dogs don't deserve special protection just because people love them so freaking much.

Stop with the grammar corrections. it's annoying. we don't care. this isn't english lit 101, and english isn't everyone mother tongue. we get it, your english is perfect, again we dont care.

funny how when someone seems to get pissed over something, the grammar police appears....why is that???

ugh !!!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:07 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
There is not much because I like neighbors who are friendly but mind their own business. The only things that would get me would be random junk (real junk) left out around the yard, horrible animals like an incessant barking dog or cat that spends it's days in my yard.

I've actually not bought or bid on homes because we saw the neighbors who had junk piles in their backyard that no fence could hide. I couldn't imagine living next to someone who had no appreciation for their property. Thankfully my neighborhood is filled with proud owners who keep their lawns, have become very good friends of ours, and we all lookout for each other and help out when needed. They really appreciate that I am not like the other owners as I care about the lawn and have been working hard in the past year to get it up to my standards, it only helps the neighborhood as a whole.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Stop with the grammar corrections. it's annoying. we don't care. this isn't english lit 101, and english isn't everyone mother tongue. we get it, your english is perfect, again we dont care.

funny how when someone seems to get pissed over something, the grammar police appears....why is that???

ugh !!!
Their grammar was wrong. That's a fact. What's really annoying are lazy types who don't care. I'd LOVE it if I was a teacher & had such students in my class, I'd give them a zero on their paper for bad grammar even if the content was good, because bad grammar and the attitude of not caring is just pathetic. You tolerate sloppiness and don't care that your grammar is awful, fine for you--me, I point it out in an effort to help those who DO care notice. Everyone is absolutely free to hold me to the same standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
There is not much because I like neighbors who are friendly but mind their own business. The only things that would get me would be random junk (real junk) left out around the yard, horrible animals like an incessant barking dog or cat that spends it's days in my yard.

I've actually not bought or bid on homes because we saw the neighbors who had junk piles in their backyard that no fence could hide. I couldn't imagine living next to someone who had no appreciation for their property. Thankfully my neighborhood is filled with proud owners who keep their lawns, have become very good friends of ours, and we all lookout for each other and help out when needed. They really appreciate that I am not like the other owners as I care about the lawn and have been working hard in the past year to get it up to my standards, it only helps the neighborhood as a whole.
I'm one that likes the absence of HOAs and such because I don't see why it's anyone's concern when the last time it was that I cut my grass or such. What does that have to do with anything? HOWEVER, noisy animals--on that I couldn't agree more, that genuinely affects a person's ability to enjoy their property. People who let their dogs bark a lot and don't stop it deserve to be put in front of an air horn that never stops blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House