Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following activities would bother you, if your next-door neighbor was to do them?
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Leave kid's toys outside 49 16.33%
Work on trucks / cars in the open 51 17.00%
Plant a vegetable garden in plain view 18 6.00%
Plant a vegetable garden out of plain view, but within your view 7 2.33%
Change their shades to an unconventional color 20 6.67%
Change their house color to an unconventional color 103 34.33%
Install lawn ornaments 50 16.67%
Install a large roof-top antenna 58 19.33%
Install a ham radio antenna tower (50 - 70' tall) 129 43.00%
Leave a car or RV parked outside 49 16.33%
Leave a boat parked outside 66 22.00%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, out of plain view 71 23.67%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, within plain view 181 60.33%
Regularly run a loud car audio system with heavy bass 245 81.67%
Run a small cafe from their house 159 53.00%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice during daytime hours 217 72.33%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice at night 250 83.33%
Install political protest signs in plain street view 79 26.33%
Put up a flag in plain street view 9 3.00%
Drink on their front porch 30 10.00%
Smoke cigarettes on their front porch 39 13.00%
Smoke weed on their front porch 153 51.00%
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Have a garage sale 15 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times

Advertisements

I chose:

-Change their house color to an unconventional color
-Install a ham radio antenna tower (50 - 70' tall)
-Leave a non-running car in their yard, within plain view
-Regularly run a loud car audio system with heavy bass
-Run a small cafe from their house
-Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice during daytime hours
-Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice at night
-Smoke weed on their front porch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From discussions I've read here and elsewhere, it appears that having a HOA just might be becoming the new thing that lowers property values, with so many people saying that, because of the many cases of HOA's getting too big for their britches, they don't, don't, DON'T, want to live in a neighborhood that has one.
I could see that - I ruled out two neighborhoods entirely because of HOA restrictions. One I didn't bother to see because their HOA has some hate page dedicated against it and all of the BS they pull. The other had these warm, welcoming signs just like what you see in apartments and strip malls right when you entered reminding you that if you park on the street past certain hours (whatever) towing company was who to call to get your car back.

So less potential buyers = somewhat lowered values if you subscribe to simple economics.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Only 4 things annoyed me and those things scored higher with other pollers as well. You forgot to mention something that really grinds my gears and that would be a neighbor whom allows their dog to bark day and night. Looks like the poster above me agrees about the barking dogs!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,338 times
I can close my eyes or look the other way, but I can't close my ears. So unnecessary noise annoys me most. I understand those who need to use a sledgehammer - you can't work quietly with it, and it doesn't bother me.
But I can't stand people who play music so loud that everybody within half a mile can "enjoy" it too. Not even if I like the music they play. Dogs that are allowed to bark 24/7 are also a major nuisance.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We actually have one of these - came with the ranch. We don't use it, would love to get rid of it (though I suspect the birds that nest in it each spring would be heartbroken), but don't quite know how. It's too big for even the pickup, even if we could dismantle it and get it over there. Fortunately, our closest across-the-street neighbor is half a mile away.
Have you checked the price of scrap metal lately? Find somebody to take that thing apart for you and haul it to the nearest recycler. Neighbor got almost twice as much out of one of those big mesh dishes taken apart than what they would have paid for it in one piece.

As far as sitting on the front porch smoking cigarettes and drinking, it's their place. They paid for it. When they start coming in my yard, using the back of my shed or my tree to pee on (it has happened and it's amazing how a firecracker can alter the direction of "flow"! LOL), or throwing their trash over in my yard, then it's a different story.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
There is a city near here that has a noise ordinance as I'm sure many do. You can be ticketed for a car stereo being too loud. Third "noise" ticket and the stereo and speakers are confiscated and sold at a police auction.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
We have kids so we don't get out much....having some cocktails in the driveway with the neighbors is the only way we get to socialize! Now i'm going to feel selfconscience about it!

The first thing I noticed about the bright yellowhouse is the car on ramps and the other car parked haphazardly across the front.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post

The first thing I noticed about the bright yellowhouse is the car on ramps and the other car parked haphazardly across the front.
Yeah, just take your pick.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
The only ones that really bug me would be restricted by law where I live. The shooting of guns, not just for the noise annoyance but for safety reasons would **** me off. I love to shoot but do it on a range. The car radio would bug me if it was all the time but then I would just start calling the cops on them. Oh and the ham radio tower wouldn't fly without permits and the like so no worries there.

Anything cosmetic... it's there property. As long as it isn't infringing on mine (stink/fumes, noise, fire hazard, etc) or a health/safety issue I don't care really.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I live on a state highway, and there is a house down the street (around the bend) that has a constant garage sale going, sign says "tag sale open" There is obviously more stuff for sale there than anyone can possibly own, it is being carted in by someone with a trailer. It annoys the hell out of me, and I've told my husband that I will call the police to see if there is a bylaw in our town. He says I'm being mean, but I am so sick of driving around the bend in the road and finding cars all over the place, illegally parked on a road where cars are going 50mph.....
plus it looks trashy in my opinion for someone to have a tag sale every friday, saturday and sunday! Argh!!

Believe me, I've no problem checking out my neighbor's tag sales, but enough is enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House