Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 AM

10 posts, read 33,536 times

Advertisements

My A/C went out last week and I called an HVAC guy to come out to take a look. Apparently the coil is bad and is leaking freon. The coil is under warranty but the service will still be abotu $700-$800. Does this sound right?
He also turned off the A/C from in the attic, and since then I've had no hot water. I turned the A/C back on, and still no hot water. I checked my circuit breakers in the garage and they're on different circuits, and neither were tripped. The reset button on the water heater hadn't been tripped either. Are these related or separate issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Have you tried following the directions for resetting your water heater? Ours occasionally stops heating water and you cannot tell by the breaker box that there is any problem. But I have to cut off the power to the water heater, then press in the reset button, and then switch the breaker back on again and it works. Otherwise you might have a more serious issue with the water heater (no, I don't think this water heater issue is related to the HVAC) and one of the heating coils may need to be replaced.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,479 times
Separate issues for sure. An electric water heater always gets it's own circuit as does the AC.

Quick, easy thing to try is to turn the breaker for the water heater all the way to the off position and then back on again. The reason for this is that sometimes a popped breaker will look like it's still in the on position.

As far as what the HVAC guy is charging for service, it sounds reasonable to me, but it never hurts to get a second opinion. Can't hurt.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
My A/C went out last week and I called an HVAC guy to come out to take a look. Apparently the coil is bad and is leaking freon. The coil is under warranty but the service will still be abotu $700-$800. Does this sound right?
He also turned off the A/C from in the attic, and since then I've had no hot water. I turned the A/C back on, and still no hot water. I checked my circuit breakers in the garage and they're on different circuits, and neither were tripped. The reset button on the water heater hadn't been tripped either. Are these related or separate issues?
The cost of labor will vary from place to place, and even HVAC company to HVAC company. However, the figure of $700 - $800 dollars sounds close as it does take quite a bit of time to remove an entire coil and replace it. Also rarely will you find a HVAC manufacturer that will pay for labor, refrigerant, etc. All the manufacturers generally pay for is the cost of the coil itself. So much for a warranty huh?

As for your water heater it better be just a coincidence or something is definitely wrong with the home's wiring! Where is the water heater located? Is it near the HVAC unit? When you turned the HVAC unit back on did you let the power set for awhile to see if the water was heating up and possibly there is a wiring snafu?

If you want to check for the presence of electric to the water heater without touching the actual 240VAC contacts then go to Home Depot and buy an $8 voltage sniffer. These are non-contact items that will check to see if voltage is present without touching the actual water heater terminals. You can also test whetehr the water heater breaker is dedicated by flipping it off and checking again if you do detect voltage with the sniffer.

How old is this house?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. My house is about 5 years old. The water heater is in the garage and the A/C is in the back yard on the opposite side of the house. I'm not sure about the shady wiring, but I do know they used aluminum wiring instead of copper, but i didn't know about that until after I bought the house. i'm going to check the breakers again and try the reset button again too.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Just checked the breakers and I did notice that the A/C and water heater are on the same breaker.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Just checked the breakers and I did notice that the A/C and water heater are on the same breaker.
Did you have your house inspected when you bought it? Just wondering......

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,580 times
Quote:

You have a 5 year old house, and the builder used aluminum wiring PLUS put the A/C unit and the electric water heater on the same circuit?

Did you contract to have this house built? Or, did you purchase it after it was built? If you purchased afterwards did you have it inspected first?

This sounds very odd to me.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM

No, didn't have the house inspected. Going in, we knew it was only temporary and since we just moved to the area we hurried. Definitely a lesson learned!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
No, didn't have the house inspected. Going in, we knew it was only temporary and since we just moved to the area we hurried. Definitely a lesson learned!

An expensive lesson unfortunately. Don't know how you will sell the house; I am wondering if it will pass code..... But perhaps your water heater issue is part of the A/C problem. Why don't you phone the HVAC guy and ask him about it if you are not able to reset the water heater....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House