Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM

4 posts, read 14,086 times

Advertisements

We started having some problems with hot water heater last week....lukewarm water at best, but not warm enough to shower, etc. Basically after trying to repair the w/h to no avail, we bought a new one yesterday and it was installed last evening. This morning, NO HOT WATER. The new one has a diagnostic panel which shows no problems exist. Water comes on fine with no air or sputtering...it's just cold.

We are in the process of having a bathroom (which backs up to the closet where the w/h is) gutted and redone - in case that could have anything at all to do with this. I can't imagine what the remodel could have to do with this but wanted to toss it out in case there's something I am unaware of. 1955 house on concrete slab.

The water heater has power and water and shows no errors/failure of thermostat or elements - I thought that was about all it needed to have! What am I missing? Hubby is away on business so I am trying to deal with this and the remodel on my own - unfortunately. I appreciate any advice on where to look next!

PS Water heater is 50 gallon electric

Last edited by LaceyJ; 10-30-2008 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: Omitted information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Gas or electric water heater?

Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 AM

Sorry. It's electric, 50 gallon.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
If you are sure there is power to the water heater, then......

Make sure the thermostat is set high enough. This could be on the control panel, or they could be on one or both of the elements (behid the two covers on the side of the tank). They are usually set at the factory to 120 degrees though.

My guess is there is something wrong, or not set correctly at the control panel.

Because you are saying you are seeing things on the control panel, I have to assume there IS power to the unit. But you may want to check the breaker anyway.

The other possibility is the water valve on top of the water heater is not open. I know you said water was running OK, but are you sure you were checking the HOT water side. iF you have two faucets at a tub or sink, turn both of them on. The left side should be the HOT, and if you don't have flow on the HOT side, then a water valve is OFF at the water heater. They would have turned off the water when they changed out he unit.

But then, if the tank was not filled, and the unit was turned on, you could have damaged the elements.

Did you read the instructions and go through the trouble shooting tips?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:22 AM

Thanks Barking Spider. Water comes out of both the hot and cold faucets fine - good flow, just cold. Breaker is on and hasn't ever flipped off. The display panel light is on which indicates power to the w/h. The panel has indicators for top element problem, lower element problem and a number of other things - none are being indicated as problematic. The contractor who is doing the remodel of the bathroom installed it yesterday evening so I am assuming he followed the instructions and filled the tank before turning the power on. I also am assuming the display panel would indicate a problem with the elements (assuming, of course, that IT is working). For what it's worth, the hose coming out of the w/h on top is warm to the touch.

I did read the troubleshooting section last night and it was basically worthless - read the display panel for error messages.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
When they installed WH did they run new wiring or was it replacing a unit that was already there? It sounds like you are only getting 1/2 of the power needed. A 240V unit actually runs on what could be 2 120V circuits. I would assume that electronic controls use either 24V or 120V power, either of which could be available if only 1/2 of 240V power was getting to unit. They may even run separate circuits for controls and heater elements. Check breakers, there may be a 120v breaker (single) and a 240v (2 breakers tied together)

Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM

Thanks! Contractor is here and I've passed on all the thoughts. Hopefully it will be resolved soon!

I appreciate all the help!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:17 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
All you had to do was drain some water from the hot water heater and see if it was hot. If it was, problem was external to the water heater.

If you have a temperature mixing valve and that is messing up, it would give the type problem you describe. Temperature mixing valves are installed in the piping usually fairly close to the water heater, they prevent scalding hot water and give uniform temps in varying demand conditions. It mixes cold water into the hot water stream, if it becomes defective, you can just get cold water, even tho hot water is available from the heater.

Most also have a adjustment knob to set the desired temperature out, that should be checked if you have this type device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House